Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 7.9%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 183 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 215 28.8%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 130 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.3%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.8%

• Total voters

NotSerious

Novice
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Which of the more modern ones is the best for a first time player?

Ysaye

Arbiter

A lot of people would say 7 is the right game for a first timer of the "newer games", because it has a sort of introductory sequence which sort of goes through the basic mechanics, whereas 6 just throws you in there. It is also a shorter and smaller world. 6 IMO is a better game though.

What do you mean by more modern? I'd say that M&M3-5 will probably feel more like a "normal" RPG than M&M6-9 and therefore would probably be easier to get into. To a certain extent each M&M engine change practically becomes a different genre though so it's worth trying at least one of each of them. 1-2 are definitely not modern though they are still far more accessible than e.g. early wizardry games that they seem to be replicas of at first glance.

NotSerious

Novice
Patron
RPG Wokedex

A lot of people would say 7 is the right game for a first timer of the "newer games", because it has a sort of introductory sequence which sort of goes through the basic mechanics, whereas 6 just throws you in there. It is also a shorter and smaller world. 6 IMO is a better game though.
What about 10?

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I got the CD swapping to work. I started using dosbox-x when the crashing started, because I figured it was an emulation error on staging. Should I switch back now that I know it's not? Maybe x is causing the non-sound related freezing.
Shouldn't really matter which DOSBox you use (unless X has introduced some regressions; they're moving very fast).

Of course, my personal recommendation is always DOSBox Staging :) The game autodetects everything properly with our default config, no need to muck around with manually configuring IRQs and stuff.

JBro

Arbiter
JBro
Do you know how your SB and MIDI interface are configured in dosbox? I'm not using WoX CD (I'm using MM4 floppy), but when you run the install program does it ask you for the IRQ and I/O port for the MT32 when you select it? Freezing like that can often be caused by an IRQ conflict.

It's possible that Xeen requires the MT32 on to be on IRQ2 I/O330. Or maybe, you have the SB and MIDI port configured for the same addresses?
It doesn't seem to make me choose those things with Soundblaster off.

I got the CD swapping to work. I started using dosbox-x when the crashing started, because I figured it was an emulation error on staging. Should I switch back now that I know it's not? Maybe x is causing the non-sound related freezing.
Shouldn't really matter which DOSBox you use (unless X has introduced some regressions; they're moving very fast).

Of course, my personal recommendation is always DOSBox Staging :) The game autodetects everything properly with our default config, no need to muck around with manually configuring IRQs and stuff.
I moved back to Staging just in case. Does it have a borderless window mode?

JBro

Arbiter
I started with 6. Whichever one you choose, just remember to put the bows on everyone asap and in 6-8, running doubles your attack cooldown in realtime mode. Even if you're standing still. In other words, with the grayface patch and autorun on, you have to hold down the walk key for a normal cooldown in realtime battle mode.

Imo Grayface should add an option to just remove the cooldown penalty with running enabled. Most people don't even realize it's a thing.

hello friend

Arcane
I've been playing mm6 recently with the grayface patch, and when I go to the Baa place with the bathhouse I can't open the door to get the chime of harmony from the chest. I'm pretty sure I've been everywhere, I picked up a key from the chest in the room locked with the puzzle doors with the plaques outside - which according to the internet is the key I need, but it doesn't open either of the hidden doors in the gallery. Is this a bug, you think, or is it possible I missed something? I opened every door in the bathhouse and checked every chest, cleared out the caves etc. If it *is* a bug, is there any way to fix it?

Also, how tf do you guys use meter shower effectively? When I fly over mobs and drop it on them I miss a lot of the time. Just git gud or what?

jackofshadows

Magister
how tf do you guys use meter shower effectively? When I fly over mobs and drop it on them I miss a lot of the time. Just git gud or what?
First, you can use it in tb mode even though it less fun than in rt imo. Second, the spot it drops depends on mob you hold your mouse over (or the closest enemy as far as I know if your cursor anywhere else). So, ideally turn tb on and lets say mouse over the middle mob from the pack.

As for the temple I think you've missed something. Vaguely remember walking there quite a bit figuring out wtf to do in order to progress. Try walking both "balcons" and search for a button (might mixing things up though).

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
how tf do you guys use meter shower effectively? When I fly over mobs and drop it on them I miss a lot of the time. Just git gud or what?
First, you can use it in tb mode even though it less fun than in rt imo. Second, the spot it drops depends on mob you hold your mouse over (or the closest enemy as far as I know if your cursor anywhere else). So, ideally turn tb on and lets say mouse over the middle mob from the pack.
also do float a bit in a single spot so they concentrate better. Extra points if that spot is above some natural hole. Meteor shower/star burst/sparks projectiles can roll a bit so tip of the hill is naturally weak spot

hello friend

Arcane

As for the temple I think you've missed something. Vaguely remember walking there quite a bit figuring out wtf to do in order to progress. Try walking both "balcons" and search for a button (might mixing things up though).
There are no buttons on the balconies that I can find. I can find both the secret doors on the balconies but they're locked. I have a leftover key from earlier that doesn't appear to open anything.

JBro

Arbiter
Done
1tlG5Vw.png

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
Started MMX yesterday. To accept the bestiary quest you need to talk to a guy in the first tavern:
20230126162116_1.jpg

Assuming this guy stops himself from saying "Data", is this supposed to mean that Ashan is yet another world like the CRON or VARN?
Was this ever picked up again in any other Ubisoft MM games? Cause I was always under the impression that element was completely dropped in the series' reboot.

Last edited:

hello friend

Arcane
Second, the spot it drops depends on mob you hold your mouse over
This changed everything. I'd been trying to cast it from the spellbook as I wasn't casting it regularly, turns out you can only aim it if you ready cast or quick cast it. The second I bound it to one of those using it was a breeze, fuck metero shower is fun to use. Amazing spell.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Assuming this guy stops himself from saying "Data", is this supposed to mean that Ashan is yet another world like the CRON or VARN?
Was this ever picked up again in any other Ubisoft MM games? Cause I was always under the impression that element was completely dropped in the series' reboot.
who knows what were grand plans for series reboot. In the end corners were cut so most gotten scrapped

jackofshadows

Magister
Nah, it's just some sort of easter egg similiar to many others like the name of the starting town, the Maximus guy and so on and so forth. Maybe the quest giver refers to concrete person I'm not aware of.

However, the sikrit dev dungeon is done in futuristic style, which may be perceived as yet another same stuff as the above just on a different scale or indicator that the devs regret this setting is more streamlined so to say.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
For some reasons M&M 7 is praised the most even though I've only played it once and had no desire to come back.
But now there might be the reason.
Mostly teleports to everywhere, even more monsters (ugh) and you can go back to Emerald Island for some surprise...

https://www.moddb.com/mods/mm7rev4modr1-redone-ultimate/downloads/mm7rev4modr1-redone-ultimate

recently this project received Ultimate version and get most fixes, no idea why it got separate page, too easy to miss...

newtmonkey

Arcane
JBro
Did you get MT-32 music working without crashing on DOSBox?
Nope lol. Went back to shitty soundblaster. :dealwithit:
JBro, this is probably useless information since you've already completed the game, but I was looking through my notes from back when I was installing these games on my dedicated DOS PC, and found some info:

- The Ultimate Might & Magic Archives (which I believe is what the GOG release is based on): I could not get the game to work with MT-32 no matter what. It would freeze up the moment any sound effects played, even with digital FX turned off. BTW, the actual physical release of this doesn't even include a DOS installer; you need to install through Windows, and then run the games in DOS mode.
- M&M Trilogy CD: This includes M&M3-5. This was hit and miss with MT-32 music & SB SFX, but is rock solid with MT-32 music & SFX. This one has an actual DOS installer, btw.

wishbonetail

Learned
Screenshot8.jpg

Being in a state of acute MM rush, I decided to step jump into MM9 right after MMX. For anyone wondering, WTF is MM9? It's a game. The MM game, that's for sure. Is it good? Well, maybe, for everyone craving for old-school cool with a hefty amount of old-school uncoolness. NO, if you searching for an improvement on MM formula or at least for not dropping the bar too far.
I usually don't trust in so-called "codex concensus", as all the media, it is susceptible to hype, for better or worse. So, i like to dive in anything, proclaimed as decline, from time to time in hopes to dig up some rough diamond. By no mean this game is a rough diamond but i think it deserves of a more meticulous inspection.
First things first, it has at most half of the content as previous 3do's games. Empty indoors, empty outdoors, minimum objects, minimum enemies, minimum environment interactions. It is BUTT-UGLY, textures much worse that in MM6, 3d models are "baby's first 3dmax effort", most music tracks are short and annoying.
SO, with that out of the way now specifics:
- My biggest gripe. No mini map with wizard's eye and the big map is uninformative. This means your can't point on a dwelling an see it's title.
- Trainers are now loitering around the streets and you cannot see NPCs name until you click on him, which in combination with shitty map warrants a pretty frustrating combing of the layout. Even MM2 was easier in that regard. People who couldn't find Caius Cosades should be right at home.
- Interface is uninformative. Lack of feddback on what status effects your chars have or what status effects they cast on enemies. Come to think of it, i dont remember statuses, other than desease, my party were suffering from and i didn't care about resistances whatsoever. Maybe they simply not working.
- Some spells are bugged. Torchlight not working and Divine intervention is a one huge exploit. Also, most of the magic, other than buff, seemed worthless.
- Obvious effort from devs to tone down the fun. You cannot outrun enemies without Fleet feet spell and you get most of the loot from bodies, not chests. Also, no waterwalk, no levitation, no jump. It seems devs wanted for player to follow the specific setup and not to have fun. What is this? Oblivion?
- It seems turn based mode is bugged as you will take far less hits in realtime. Or maybe im imagining things.
- Party's Inventories are huge. Makes me wondering, why they didn't implement one general inventory.
- No rations and fatigue. Ingame dialogs suggest there should be rations and fatigue.
- You can hire up to 3 NPCs but their stats are anemic and, by the midgame, you'll just be wasting time during their turns.
- Magic system is reshuffled. Just where is my fucking fireball? I mean elemental schools were the staple of all MMs and HoMMs. Getting rid of em makes it less of a MM.
- Can't attack NPCs. Decline.
Okay, other than that it's still MM. Munchkinism, powerleveling, partybuilding, promotions, are still incredibly satisfying, as in all MM games, and head and shoulders above anything they shit out nowadays.
PS Latest gog installer includes unofficial patch, so the game is surprisingly bug-free.
PPS I didn't say anything about MMX because it doesn't feel like MM game. You may as well include Legend of Grimrock and Dark Messiah in the poll.
PPPs Still better than Skyrim.

Last edited:

VHS9000

Novice
Have started another run in MMX on the Warrior difficulty with the Merc-Hunter-Scout-Druid party. Picked an intentionally diverse racial setup cause there are some racial-restricted dungeons (right?) and I want the 100% different party compared to the previous one. Finished Act 2, cleared road to The Crag and some jungles. That was pretty easy but I’ll be owned later for sure. :)

VHS9000

Novice
On MM9 - it’s a piece of shit. I’m okay with games being broken in every possible way till they don’t waste my time like this garbage with:

1) Inventory window opening every time I’m picking the loot given that the every monster in the game is stuffed with the useless scrolls and magic stones.
2) Roaming faceless NPC-trainers you need to seek in the oversized empty cities which process makes me feel like l’m in an endless eerie nightmare.

PS But yes it’s still better than Skyrim.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom