Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 7.9%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 183 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 215 28.8%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 130 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.3%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.8%

• Total voters

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
From Wiki: Apprentice mages can be encountered in New Sorpigal and Free Haven. They have a 20% chance to throw flame arrows at the party, and will otherwise use melee attacks.

I went back to New Sorpigal at Level13 and New Sorpigal has been repopulated. But the Apprentice mages now always use their flame arrows. Oooops. I have never bothered fighting low level monsters, except using some Armageddon spell for fun.
Now I need a lots of red potions so I was regathering them.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
Apprentice mages can be encountered in New Sorpigal and Free Haven. They have a 20% chance to throw flame arrows at the party, and will otherwise use melee attacks.
Really ? I don't remember them doing that. Then again, it's been a long time since my last playthrough.
May be I don't remember as well. I have played a lots of times, but during 24 years.

Excerpt from a walkthrough:
Dungeon Difficulty: Easy to hard, depending on when you attempt the quest (what level)
:hmmm:

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
LOL
Knights cannot use the fly scroll.
Now I need a wind master NPC I think.
I am Level45 and this lack of utility spells the biggest problem so far.
I am going to blind, because no Torchlight Spell.
I changed to a gate master NPC because the constant travelling has got on my nerves. Why is there no timetables in Enroth btw?
Now I do not know how much I need the resistance? Do I need resistance (items)? I have so much HP, I do not need any healing spell for a dungeons yet. I have average 10 resistance now.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
You should have only gotten knight Npcs to have a full crusade.
GO
KNIGHTS
KNIGHTS
KNIGHTS!!!

And of course that game isn't on GOG. Anyway, Kinights have changed since the games...

Last edited:

Covenant

Savant
I picked up 1-6 recently and have been having fun with Inner Sanctum, but I think I might have gotten myself stuck. I found a black and white dog on a pedestal in the Minotaur's castle and got some text about completing a quest and needing to remember B.J. But apparently I was supposed to then 'search' and find a gold key, which I didn't do. If I go back, I just get the option to desecrate a dragon statue (leading to a fight), and no gold key.

Anyone know of a way to fix this, short of starting over?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
This may work: the game probably only checks if have you the black and white dog in your inventory. So if you drop/sell it somewhere, you can return and pick it up again.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yeah, i believe a lot of these quests can be redone. I know I was redoing quests to get stats up slowly towards thd end but it is long and annoying. Hell, i can't recall the way to reset this one set kf quests atm. Something about the gold building of other. Bah, it was on the c64 which i know was messed up.

Covenant

Savant
This may work: the game probably only checks if have you the black and white dog in your inventory. So if you drop/sell it somewhere, you can return and pick it up again.
There isn't actually a black and white dog item (it's just the thing that speaks the 'Well done, remember BJ' bit), but this was basically the right idea - starting the courier quest over from scratch worked, thanks.

Still enjoying the game, though it's making me appreciate the changed direction to spells in the later games; hordes of trash mobs are a lot more tolerable when with skillful play I can quickly get mass target spells, as opposed to needing to just grind my way up to the second-highest spell level here.

Just bought MM7, which I hadn't really played since finishing it all the way back in 1999.

It seems I was lucky in that I got a release missingi the CD Audio back then (something went wrong with the first edition in Germany hitting the market.) The first music track played with its shrieking violins is the most annoying piece of game music I've heard since probably The New Zealand Story on Spectrum/Amstrad. MM6 started so much nicer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1oGhfle1bE&list=PLF395E97444B4B24F
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laqTxqcx4Q4

But luring the dragonflies in the swamps of Emerald Island into the nearby settlement and seeing them butcher townsfolk is still as fun as it used to.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Just bought MM7, which I hadn't really played since finishing it all the way back in 1999.

It seems I was lucky in that I got a release missingi the CD Audio back then (something went wrong with the first edition in Germany hitting the market.) The first music track played with its shrieking violins is the most annoying piece of game music I've heard since probably The New Zealand Story on Spectrum/Amstrad. MM6 started so much nicer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1oGhfle1bE&list=PLF395E97444B4B24F

But luring the dragonflies in the swamps of Emerald Island into the nearby settlement and seeing them butcher townsfolk is still as fun as it used to.
I forget, do the townsfolk respawn?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

I forget, do the townsfolk respawn?
Eventually. But in vanilla MM7 you have no means of returning to Emerald Island after you complete the tutorial.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I usually substitute all of the annoying music tracks with this:

This and the mm7 desert track are two of my fave from the mm series.

Actually, those two are two of my favorite tracks from any games period.

Personally I prefer the Garrote Gorge/Ravage Roaming soundtrack from MM8, but those you mention are ace too.

JBro

Arbiter
On to 4-5. I also bought X in the sale.

D0gRbtk.png

JBro

Arbiter
How the fuck do I get World of Xeen to stop crashing with mt-32 music? I ended up finishing the light side with shitty music, but dark side's music is too good to not listen to using mt-32.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom