Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 7.9%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 183 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 215 28.8%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 130 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.3%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.8%

• Total voters

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Admittedly I don't remember a lot from VII any more except stuff like evernmorn isles and tulerean forest (or was that in 8, too?) In VIII what plays in Ironsand/Ravage Roaming was short but catchy and I didn't mind it.
As for IX I no longer am sure if there was any music at all..

Zeriel

Arcane

This is the one I was thinking of

I think you may be onto something with some of the 6 tracks being more "ambient" in terms of having sound effects... but that was also kind of just a style they went for in some HOMNM tracks too, I doubt it was meant to be a replacement for ambient audio.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I was always fond of HOMM 1 OST because I dig the harphsichord.

But during play who stays in town for thecwhole tune unless you're taking a break/afk?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I actually think 7 & 8 have some good tracks. The wastelands track (dwarf/ghost place?) from 7 is top tier. 8 is a lot spottier admittedly.

I think 6 & 7 really aren't that different, and while I like 6 too, it's not like it lacks chill tracks... most of them are very laid back, it's only a few dungeon tracks that are all that different.
Admittedly I don't remember a lot from VII any more except stuff like evernmorn isles and tulerean forest (or was that in 8, too?) In VIII what plays in Ironsand/Ravage Roaming was short but catchy and I didn't mind it.
As for IX I no longer am sure if there was any music at all..

I never noticed any drop in quality as far as music go but you can clearly hear the sound effects improvements made from 6 to 8 and obviously from previous games as well.

I noticed it while playing the merge mod at first and confirmed it later, arrows sounds in 8, for example sound way better than in 6.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
You know, I can't remember the music in 7 & 8, not because they're necessarily bad, but I don't think it ever played for me. Is that a known issue, or is that just me?

Shadenuat

Arcane
I think there was such issue on Win Xp. Replayed VII recently on modern system with fan patch no problems.

VI does have stronger ost as well though.

I found replayn VII surprisingly fun btw, but I imposed some very important limitations on myself, primarely: clear locations in order supposed by the game, no rushing anything, no save scumming of any kind ever, level skills mostly equally, no flight, and I played Dark melee party with weaker classes (ranger, rogue, druid, with priest being strongest).
One thing I forgot to do is to check if Master Dagger multiplies Heroism bonus, since I larped elf rogue with swords, as I heard somewhere it does and that would change rogue.
It really is hilarious how shafted some classes in promotions are depending on side you take.
I did reach 30 recovery on axes with Ranger kinda easily tbh, 2+ days potions with Clankers also solve some problems if you don't mind micromanagement. Although I think Elf Ranger with early Bow and later just 2 handed Spear would be less suffer.

As always I missed fucking horn of friendship quest. :dealwithit:

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
VI seems more in line with HOMM2 soundtrack and what came after is more Heroes 3. I would not call any of them bad but I do think there's a noticeable change in style. It kinda becomes more weird and whimsical if that makes sense.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Not sure if there's a better thread but recently I compared again MM6 soundtrack to those in 7 through 9 and I wondered, does anyone know why it gets so much worse?
6 has pretty elaborate and with a wide range, peaceful, scary, threatening, or with a booming monks chorus. And most importantly, a lot of ambient sounds are actually baked into it, like chirping birds in Ironfist, howling winds in maps such as frozen highlands, and dripping water in many dungeons.
Parts after that just have some weird new age meditation music with no effects. Day of Destroyer is probably the worst, just try the track that plays for dragon cave and murmur woods.
However the composers seem to have been mainly the same for the games 6 - 9 and I can't understand the perceived stylistic change after 6.
Times change? Tastes change? People change? Art direction from game to game changes?

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
M&M 6

I am playing a four knights party.
Any idea how can I use the Wizard Eye spell?
Shops are selling this scroll very rarely.
Missing this spell is not game breaker, but annoying.

zapotec

Liturgist
There should be a cartographer hireling that cast wizard eye at expert level somewhere

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
M&M 6

I am playing a four knights party.

2q3.gif

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Thinking about a replay of 6 myself with gray face patch and whatnot.
So what's generally best party with a reasonable skillpoints distribution?
Cleric cleric sorcerer sorcerer? Or throw in a paladin for some self and heavy armor? I like druids but without acumen for light or dark magic I feel I can't make as much use of the huge mana pool as I should. Learning absolutely all the magic again uses a lot of points that might be better spent elsewhere.
I don't really use healing much, teleporting (beacon) right to a temple is just that much more convenient.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
solo knight is last step
Yes.
There is video about the 4 knights, but he is using some "cheat???" in the beginning to teleport to somewhere for good items.
I am playing in the totally normal way.
And yes, I have played countless times MM6. That is why the extreme party.
I am using the Grayface patch. I hope that does not alter the hit ratio. Somehow I am hitting very rarely the skeletons in the Temple of Baa. Level8 party.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
There is video about the 4 knights, but he is using some "cheat???" in the beginning to teleport to somewhere for good items.
not a cheat, just power gaming. There is easter egg - NWC office dungeon. You can only utilize its bonuses for new sorpigal so no one really cares. mm6 got nice progress curve so its not like it allows you to skip half of the game struggles

jackofshadows

Magister
not a cheat, just power gaming. There is easter egg - NWC office dungeon. You can only utilize its bonuses for new sorpigal so no one really cares. mm6 got nice progress curve so its not like it allows you to skip half of the game struggles
No one cares if you use cheat engine either except that's fucking cheating, same as abusing that easter egg shit. It's not about the "intented" progress curve - mm6 is very open so you can hire the right NPCs, collect all the free stuff you can find, complete all the quests you can w/o fighting and by doing that, trivialize at least 1/3 of the game if not more but why - I have no idea except you're too bored with the game otherwise.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
No one cares if you use cheat engine either except that's fucking cheating, same as abusing that easter egg shit. It's not about the "intented" progress curve - mm6 is very open so you can hire the right NPCs, collect all the free stuff you can find, complete all the quests you can w/o fighting and by doing that, trivialize at least 1/3 of the game if not more but why - I have no idea except you're too bored with the game otherwise.
doing solo is not intended progress curve either, chill. At that point you are clearly power gaming

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom