Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 7.9%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 183 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 215 28.8%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 130 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.3%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.8%

• Total voters

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Playing a bit of 9(ragequitted due crashing last time that I attempted to play), I know that I will suffer a lot of hate by saying it but I will be honest. I'm liking it way more than M&M X. Still extremely inferior to 4/5/6/7/8 but is good non the less. So far, the worst thing in the game is homogenizing water/fire/air/earth magic into an generic "elemental magic"and the thing whcih I liked the most is that some spells scale with two schools. For eg, Poison direct damage scales with elemental and DoT with dark magic.

I kind of liked M&M IX up until the first town and the swamp area around.
Having to explore a maze-like city and empty houses to find masters was a really dumb idea.

And the swamp area is absolutely disgusting, did they fire the graphic team and let the interns go wild on this one?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I did the quest to make the last promotion into mage at lv 10. The unique thing that was hard was to evade the high level banshees while I attempt to get the book. I"m not joking. Wasted 30 charges of an wand of chain lightning and din't killed a single high level banshee, so I had to do it...Now I can cast as much chain lightning as I want and only need to rest after about 11 casts.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
i had uncommon (to me) chain of events in mm7.
- helped the dwarves
- betrayed both human and elven kingdom
- at that point Id normally expect a trumpet skirmish to start it didnt
- instead judge dies first

What did I do wrong? Some timing on my part?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
so trumpet appears only if you either help both or 1 of them? Will harmondale stay independent?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
After few horus playing 9, it become boring. Honestly, even liches and other high level mobs seems to lack devastating spells to use against me...

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
always deemed mm7 unfinished/rushed due to how most of the land are barren textures, but only now that im crafting many black potions i realized how rare ingredient flowers are.
Only 3 locations bothered to have them: starting island, home town and elf city

Mauman

Scholar
always deemed mm7 unfinished/rushed due to how most of the land are barren textures, but only now that im crafting many black potions i realized how rare ingredient flowers are.
I'm confused by what you mean by this.

There are ingredients on almost every over world map in the game. The difference is that they're higher level ingredients so of course the first areas would only have the basics. And because they're higher level ones, you have to kill enemies more to get them rather than just picking them up. You can find dragoneyes just lying on the ground in Eofol, but you mostly need to kill dragons to get them for instance.

Also how in the world are they rare for you? I usually have to throw tons of the stupid basic blues/yellows/reds/greys away just because they constantly clog up my inventory. If you're THAT desperate you can generally buy them from alchemists. And if that doesn't suit your needs, you can always raid one of the many boxes that has like 20 of the damned things (like the ones in Harmondale's stable) :?

As for it being rushed. I never noticed it. MM8 on the other hand felt rushed (but still enjoyable).

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I'm confused by what you mean by this.

There are ingredients on almost every over world map in the game. The difference is that they're higher level ingredients so of course the first areas would only have the basics. And because they're higher level ones, you have to kill enemies more to get them rather than just picking them up. You can find dragoneyes just lying on the ground in Eofol, but you mostly need to kill dragons to get them for instance.

Also how in the world are they rare for you? I usually have to throw tons of the stupid basic blues/yellows/reds/greys away just because they constantly clog up my inventory. If you're THAT desperate you can generally buy them from alchemists. And if that doesn't suit your needs, you can always raid one of the many boxes that has like 20 of the damned things (like the ones in Harmondale's stable) :?

As for it being rushed. I never noticed it. MM8 on the other hand felt rushed (but still enjoyable).
erathia got absolute nothing
mount nipon or whatever nave it was - nothing save for the peak of the crater - location that to get you need to climb vertical walls over max flight height where some high level stuff is
land of giants - indeed some lost dragon eyes, also meteorites in certain high ground crater
evenmorn islands - nothing
deija - nothing unless you count feathers that you can pluck out of harpies
avle - limited to certain 20% piece of land with wyverns, where mid level gems are in the woods
tatalia - scathered troll blood around trolls.

when compared to above only harmondale, emerald island and elven capitol got properly placed herbs. Now compare it to maps in mm6...

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Aren't the maps a burnt muddy brown color? Maybe everything died off. Maybe....... SHEEP!!!

Anyway, the merged mod is using primarily 8 as the engine right? I need to watch a comparison vid or run two laptops and compare. I won't say I still would like to see another pet project performing a graphical overhall on 6-9.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
another thing that dawned on me regarding mm7, it seems to lack mid level enemies? It goes straight from cannon bow fodder to dragons.
Party of casters with heroism+bless wont have to use magic since everything just dies to auto attacks. Up to the point when suddenly game shifts to dragons/minotaurs/behemoths that is. Not sure what would be closest to mid level enemy in mm7, perhaps wyverns? Too bad they can be only encountered in wilderness area so you can just keep running away.

Its another head scratcher for me, but helps me realise why I deemed mm8>mm7 even though its mm8 that was considered unfinished/rushed in here.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
another thing that dawned on me regarding mm7, it seems to lack mid level enemies? It goes straight from cannon bow fodder to dragons.

What about the ogre fort from Alvar?
High level mercs as well roaming some areas and in some dungeons.
Not much is bow fodder until you get to master/GM bow and it's late game.

Before dragons, there is also the cyclops cave, the medusas from the mines, druids in some areas and a dungeon are pretty annoying. Even gogs, which are bow fodder but can hit pretty hard if you don't have a high fire res and good healing.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
What about the ogre fort from Alvar?
perfect example of mid lvl content, its in mm8 though

High level mercs as well roaming some areas and in some dungeons.
Not much is bow fodder until you get to master/GM bow and it's late game.
if enemies get in melee range you deal even more damage, which can be utilised to deal easilly with following enemy
medusas from the mines
medusas are nice, but not enough of them attack you at once to be a danger

Before dragons, there is also the cyclops cave, the medusas from the mines, druids in some areas and a dungeon are pretty annoying. Even gogs, which are bow fodder but can hit pretty hard if you don't have a high fire res and good healing.
cyclops are mm7, druids mm6. In mm7 gogs are not a big problem even for low level parties - you deal with them even as you try to reach dwarves

I think only mid lvl dungeon would be mercenary guild in tatalia?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
If you're searching difficulty in M&M 7, it's simple, just go to areas you don't belong, level wise or install the conspiracy something mod, but don't come crying it's too hard afterwards.

cthscr

Novice
- helped the dwarves

Messenger event happens only from hour 1344 till hour 2016 (i.e. two months already but not three months yet) since building castle to level 2. No other prereqs.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
- helped the dwarves

Messenger event happens only from hour 1344 till hour 2016 (i.e. two months already but not three months yet) since building castle to level 2. No other prereqs.
heh, i wonder if I was teleporting around and always outside of that range

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
In M&M VI, I think that the most powerful spell damage wise is shrapmetal. That spell was quite bad in M&M IV, only inflicting 2*caster level damage. However, in M&M VI the spell is extremely powerful. Each fragment dishes d6 * Dark Magic skill damage and at master level in dark magic, you can throw 7 of them. So with dark magic level = 20, that is ludicrous 20*7*d6 or 140d6 damage provided that all of the projectiles hit the enemy(Which is not hard on CQB). And the damage is physical, so resisting or negating the damage is unlikely for 99% of troublesome enemies.

Playing Might and Magic 7 again after 4 years and now i remember how much of a pain in the ass chest traps are in this game, i have a follower that gives me 6+ disarm skill plus 3 disarm skill from my party member and i still can not disarm even the most basic chests. I clicked on a random chest in the dwarven barrows and went direct to the game over cutscene, i died from full hp instantly didn't even heard a moaning sound of pain from my party members.

Might and Magic VII early game is much harder than Might and Magic VI early game, i played the latter recently so i know what i'm talking about.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Playing Might and Magic 7 again after 4 years and now i remember how much of a pain in the ass chest traps are in this game
mm7 traps got weird progression. For example assume that you play full caster party without traps skill:

at first you can just shrug of trap dmg and quickly heal.

Later on traps progress rapidly and quickly get to deal 90% of your hp. Also can break your chest armor piece. You can harden your armors and continue healing, but its annoying. If you get expert traps with some item boost, you will be fine for a while. Such a quality of life improvement for 9 points.

Eventually your resistance boosts kick in -> traps deal little damage and you just auto heal with regeneration.

Might and Magic VII early game is much harder than Might and Magic VI early game, i played the latter recently so i know what i'm talking about.
not really, with bless and heroism even party of casters will just auto attack. As I stated recently, in mm7 there are no mid level enemies

I found that i can hire a Burglar for free, that gives me +6 disarm skill and +6 stealing skill, btw how to steal in this game ?

My party just sucks, i didn't plan anything or read anything before creating the party, so my party members have no synergy with the skills. For example, my Ranger elf have merchant skill and identify item, he can not even be an expert in those skill. Plus they removed the yellow power potion that gave +10 in all attributes, that made a huge difference early game in MM6, scrolls cost more too. I just find MM7 a lot harder.

MM6 is harder late game though, i remember that when i beat MM7, late game was very easy, but i did some power gaming with the Monk, there's a super broken Monk build late game. In MM6 you physical damage party members do no damage late game, especially ranged damage, they just don't scale. There's a reason why they added shit like armsmaster and damage scaling to bows in MM7.

Whatever, i will keep playing with my shitty party, it's challenging and fun. I went to Tularean Forest to get some stronger bows, one of mistakes you can make in Might and Maigc 6,7 and 8 is to be stuck in an area until you clear it, if you have enough gold to spare, better to go to late areas and buy stronger equipments.

Man.. i gave up, i made some progress, got stronger, but now i'm just bored. Too much trash mobs and HP bloat and TOO MUCH WALKING, that's not a problem with just MM7 but with RPGs in general, i'm so bored with this genre, degenerate genre for homosexuals.

I'l go back to Heroes of Might and Magic, or maybe try Dungeon Keeper which look interesting. The strategy Might and Magic games just spoiled me, i find the RPGs series so unengaging nowadays. I can play Heroes III for 6 hours straight and not even notice the time passing, you know a game is good when you don't notice the time passing, but with the RPG series after 30 min i'm already bored to death.

Oh well.. great music though.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Man.. i gave up, i made some progress, got stronger, but now i'm just bored. Too much trash mobs and HP bloat and TOO MUCH WALKING

If you walk, you're doing things wrong, in M&M 3-5 you teleport, in M&M 6-8, you just fly and town portal.
There's a button to run, nobody walks, Greyface patch first, then don't bring a thief, even in M&M 3, it was a mistake, the Ninja was the man.

Fuck, thinking M&M 6 dumped Ninja and Barbarian classes is so sad.

Decline is everywhere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom