Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 7.9%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 183 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 215 28.8%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 130 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.3%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.8%

• Total voters
Man.. i gave up, i made some progress, got stronger, but now i'm just bored. Too much trash mobs and HP bloat and TOO MUCH WALKING

If you walk, you're doing things wrong, in M&M 3-5 you teleport, in M&M 6-8, you just fly and town portal.
I need a party member to be a master of Water and Air Magic, something like that, to use Town Portal or Fly. i'm not even close to that yet. Even then it does not fix my problem that the gameplay is just tedious, i don't have patience for killing tons of mobs like i had before, i did beat Might and Magic 6 this year though, but i had to slog through some really tedious sections like Mire of the dammed(so much trash mobs and armageddon does not even work on them) and the tons of Titans and Dragons later on that takes forever to kill.

However the game did hold my attention for 80 hours which is impressive for a RPG, so after playing both games i can say that i had more fun with MM6.

Last edited:
I'l go back to Heroes of Might and Magic
songs of conquest
I'm not into modern games, i hate the flash/clean look of them, they just feel soulless and i'm not even a boomer. I took a quick look into Songs of Conquest, meh, looks very generic and not even hiding that it's a Heroes clone, the gameplay might be good but there are tons of older strategy games that i have not played yet that looks way more interesting(and soulfull):

Age of Wonders
Castles
Dungeon Keepr
Disciples
Jagged Alliance
Majesty
Warlords series

and a few others on GOG.

Edit: and of course why not just play more Heroes II and III instead of a soulless clone ?

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I need a party member to be a master of Water and Air Magic, something like that, to use Town Portal or Fly. i'm not even close to that yet. Even then it does not fix my problem that the gameplay is just tedious, i don't have patience for killing tons of mobs like i had before, i did beat Might and Magic 6 this year though, but i had to slog through some really tedious sections like Mire of the dammed(so much trash mobs and armageddon does not even work on them) and the tons of Titans and Dragons later on that takes forever to kill.

However the game did hold my attention for 80 hours which is impressive for a RPG, so after playing both games i can say that i had more fun with MM6.

Well, that's the thing, no sane mind can endure M&M 6 and M&M 7 in the same year.

Come back and play M&M 8 in 2 years and you'll probably enjoy it, if you don't have anything else to play.

Mauman

Scholar

Well, that's the thing, no sane mind can endure M&M 6 and M&M 7 in the same year.

Come back and play M&M 8 in 2 years and you'll probably enjoy it, if you don't have anything else to play.

I must not be that sane then as I played through MMMerge just two months ago....my 2nd time.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Hey, I routinely replay the MMMerge mod every few months...

Oh, wait...
sane mind
never mind.

This MMMerge mod looks retarded to me, i know it implements some quality of life of MM8 engine, like making notes on automap. But the way it mixes the games just does not fit:

the realistic portrait and backgrounds of MM6 mixed with the shitty 3D graphics from MM7&8.

The balance would be horrible too, using spell system and skill system(like alchemy) of MM8 in MM6, the game would become extremely easy and you playing the same party during the entire three campaigns, 100 hours of even easier trash mobs. I like having to adapt to each game mechanics and balances, like dark magic being shit in MM6, or having yellow power potions or no Preservation spell.

The mod just kill everything that makes each game unique, both gameplay and technical wise.

Correct me if my points are wrong, i haven't played it, but this abomination looks retarded:

That's not a attack on the modders, i appreciated the effort they put in creating this mod, but just not for me.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Next we'll see the MM1-2 mod and the 3-Swords mod, even if it makes no sense. (In the case of 3-swords of Xeen). You were super neutered from 1 to 2 if you transferred and some systems you couldn't like NES to SNES.

I'd hate to think of a 1-10 new design. "Play from the beginning....and become GODS of boredom as nothing stands in your path."

Some of those MM2 battles are crazy.

World of Xeen merged two games into one and it fitted.

I haven't played World of Xeen, so i can't comment. But i did heard that playing both games as one makes the other half extremely easy, even more than already it is. Besides Darkside of Xeen was developed to be played with Clouds of Xeen, it was not a fan made mod merging two games.

Broken game mechanic, It should be fixed.

It does not need any fix, it makes using others spell more worthwhile in late game, while in MM7 and MM8 i was just spamming shrapnel. Again, nothing wrong with just spamming shrapnel instead of Sparks or Poison Spray but it made MM6 and MM7/8 late game different, where in Merge i would just spam attack button for the next two 40+ hours campaigns.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Darkside of Xeen is designed for a much higher level party than Clouds. Most of it is unreasonably difficult if you're only partway through Clouds. You can get some bonus experience in the area around the starting town, but it's not a big deal. You might as well just focus on Clouds until you finish it and then go to Darkside.

Last thing, MM6 Merge making Dark Magic not shit would make Darkmoor super easy, you now have inifinite spell points with the alchemy skill, just spam Dragon Breath on the flying beholders like a motherfucker, decline.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Darkside of Xeen is designed for a much higher level party than Clouds. Most of it is unreasonably difficult if you're only partway through Clouds. You can get some bonus experience in the area around the starting town, but it's not a big deal. You might as well just focus on Clouds until you finish it and then go to Darkside.

Which is boring, you merge two games but you're only doing them one after the other.
And if you go to Darkside to break the routine, you just break Clouds' challenge.

It was a good idea, unfortunately, instead of reworking xp gains and enemies to make it work, they just put some portals to travel between both games.
WoX is overrated and too long for its own good.

Isles of Terra is what monocled gamers play instead.

Ryzer

Arcane
Last thing, MM6 Merge making Dark Magic not shit would make Darkmoor super easy, you now have inifinite spell points with the alchemy skill, just spam Dragon Breath on the flying beholders like a motherfucker, decline.
If you go down that path, there are many ways to break the game in vanilla like the overpowered+20 permanent bonus you can easily access right from the get go.

If you go down that path, there are many ways to break the game in vanilla like the overpowered+20 permanent bonus you can easily access right from the get go.
You're talking about the black potions ? +20 stats is not a lot, sure makes early game easier, but if you have 30 might and gain 20 might from potion, at best you gain +3 extra attack damage. In Might and Magic 6, 7 and 8 the more stats you have the less they give you, so if you have 5 might and equip a ring with +10 might you gain more attack than if you have 50 might and equip a +25 might ring, and late game basic stats equipment are useless because of Day of the Gods and Hour of Power, with the exception of Beholders who can dispel your buffs. So in the Merge mod you're breaking the best part of the game.

Besides in your example i would just make the early game easier not break the entire three campaigns. The fact that you can make any potion you want from the start in MM6, it's already a good reason to play vanilla.

Last edited:

Ryzer

Arcane
I was referencing to an easter egg you can access from the beginning. Nevermind, it should be kept as a secret, so that nobody uses it early-on as it breaks everything.
I get your point now and you are right.

I know about the easter egg, but it is what it is, an easter egg. I never used it because i think it makes the game pointless.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Castle Darkmoor can eff right off with the feeblemind and dispell spamming contestantly through the walls. This is where I always ragequit whenever I want to replay MM6.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Not sure if there's a better thread but recently I compared again MM6 soundtrack to those in 7 through 9 and I wondered, does anyone know why it gets so much worse?
6 has pretty elaborate and with a wide range, peaceful, scary, threatening, or with a booming monks chorus. And most importantly, a lot of ambient sounds are actually baked into it, like chirping birds in Ironfist, howling winds in maps such as frozen highlands, and dripping water in many dungeons.
Parts after that just have some weird new age meditation music with no effects. Day of Destroyer is probably the worst, just try the track that plays for dragon cave and murmur woods.
However the composers seem to have been mainly the same for the games 6 - 9 and I can't understand the perceived stylistic change after 6.

Zeriel

Arcane
I actually think 7 & 8 have some good tracks. The wastelands track (dwarf/ghost place?) from 7 is top tier. 8 is a lot spottier admittedly.

I think 6 & 7 really aren't that different, and while I like 6 too, it's not like it lacks chill tracks... most of them are very laid back, it's only a few dungeon tracks that are all that different.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom