Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 7.9%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 183 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 215 28.8%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 130 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.3%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.8%

• Total voters

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I am going to implement the M&M 1-2 turn-based combat as well, optionally. Hmmm, it could not be so hard to program.
Increasing release date -------processing--------> estimated : 2035.

Mauman

Scholar
As much as I hated how snes mm3 gutted the party limit (6 max instead of 8) and other changes, I really REALLY liked the music in the soundtrack.

I can still whistle the tunes.

If only there was a mod that took the snes music and put it into the pc version. I know that'd be incredibly unlikely....but I can dream :|

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
i want to do another mm7 run, never did caster party. Want to go with sssd. Im prepared to just go at it but perhaps someone can tell me how I can allow warlocks grand master all the magic that they have access to? If I cheated that way I would consider going ssdd. Yes yes, i know that shrapmetal goes brrr, but I prefer to clear my dungeons without 'cheating' by casting beacon or leaving dungeon mid way - clear without resting, accept the danger of resting inside or no go.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Leaving is cheating? Man, I swear in old rpg manuals they often say retreat and rest before you go too deep and are overcome. But I'm thinking of older MM, Bardstale, Ultima, Wizardry perhaps.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Its a game so full boss rush mode is fine. Not like you can't try again. I don't recall MM7 having perma death mode.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
anyone used MMExtension? Tried to kickstart by quickly skimming over https://grayface.github.io/mm/ext/ref/ but its not hello world sort of thing I expected. Standard tables in Events.lod MMArchive do not contain mappings I seek so I expect I ned to use extansion somehow. Thing is I dont want to go through whole lua learning, can someone give me some quickstart?
I expect that what I need to change is simple just uncovering it apparently isnt

Darth Canoli

Arcane
anyone used MMExtension? Tried to kickstart by quickly skimming over https://grayface.github.io/mm/ext/ref/ but its not hello world sort of thing I expected. Standard tables in Events.lod MMArchive do not contain mappings I seek so I expect I ned to use extansion somehow. Thing is I dont want to go through whole lua learning, can someone give me some quickstart?
I expect that what I need to change is simple just uncovering it apparently isnt

What are you trying to do exactly?
Chances are, it's already been done...

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

What are you trying to do exactly?
Chances are, it's already been done...
probably was heh

Indeed I found some people sharing tables of their rebalanced classes but I still lack the link of how to apply them properly(or make my own).

as stated few posts above, I want to grant warlocks access to gm magic

Darth Canoli

Arcane

I'm pretty sure you can do that with a savegame editor or a cheat engine table.
Editing classes on your own is way harder.

Most "rebalanced" mods for M&M 7-8 are garbage, nobody thought about unlocking most physical skills for martial classes and most magic skills for magic users... Instead, they make their own lame mix which are just as bad as the originals.

Mauman

Scholar

It's actually fairly easy to do this with no outside help (and it's something I do all the time because it's complete horseshit they don't have it to begin with). All you need is a text editor

You want to look up gamefolder\data\tables\class skills.txt

From there it should be self-explanatory what you need to do. There will be some issues with the text file's spacing but it can be figured out with a little patience and some counting.

T. Reich

Arcane
i want to do another mm7 run, never did caster party. Want to go with sssd. Im prepared to just go at it but perhaps someone can tell me how I can allow warlocks grand master all the magic that they have access to? If I cheated that way I would consider going ssdd. Yes yes, i know that shrapmetal goes brrr, but I prefer to clear my dungeons without 'cheating' by casting beacon or leaving dungeon mid way - clear without resting, accept the danger of resting inside or no go.
Uhh, why would you pick the strongest m&m6-7 party compo and then want to cheat by overpowering your druid further?
sssd will clear out the absolute fuck out of everything with sparks in melee range and fireballs at distance, both spells being insanely mana-cost-effective if used correctly. And all that without having to resort to beacon temple jumping.
In fact, going light is stronger than going dake here - you already have all the magical offensive power you need, and light gives you the insane defense that your spellcasters normally lack. And divine intervention.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

It's actually fairly easy to do this with no outside help (and it's something I do all the time because it's complete horseshit they don't have it to begin with). All you need is a text editor

You want to look up gamefolder\data\tables\class skills.txt

From there it should be self-explanatory what you need to do. There will be some issues with the text file's spacing but it can be figured out with a little patience and some counting.
thats what i red, but in my gog copy there is no data/tables folder

Uhh, why would you pick the strongest m&m6-7 party compo and then want to cheat by overpowering your druid further?
so I can consider going dddd for that dragon action

Mauman

Scholar

Install the GrayFace mm7 patch first. It should show up then.

You want to do that anyways just so the game doesn't run like ass on newer systems and you have access to wondrous things like decent mouse look, looping music (mm7 has a kickass ost), and more :P

https://grayface.github.io/mm/#GrayFace-MM7-Patch

edit - I'm fairly certain this the most recent patch, but since I've switched to exclusively playing merge (which uses mm8 stuff) if I want to play mm 6/7/8 I'm not 100% certain. Look at the CelestialHeavens forums for more info.

2nd edit - I seem to recall you'll also need to run the game once after installing the patch for everything to show up.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

You want to do that anyways just so the game doesn't run like ass on newer systems and you have access to wondrous things like decent mouse look, looping music (mm7 has a kickass ost), and more :P

edit - I'm fairly certain this the most recent patch, but since I've switched to exclusively playing merge (which uses mm8 stuff) if I want to play mm 6/7/8 I'm not 100% certain. Look at the CelestialHeavens forums for more info.

2nd edit - I seem to recall you'll also need to run the game once after installing the patch for everything to show up.
got grayface, otherwise i wouldnt be able to enjoy that mouse look. Did start a new game and so on already. Checked lod files present and no table there got class config

Mauman

Scholar

got grayface, otherwise i wouldnt be able to enjoy that mouse look. Did start a new game and so on already. Checked lod files present and no table there got class config

That's weird :/

Well, I hope you figure it out.

jackofshadows

Magister
Only I don't get how M&M X has 10% of votes? I played 4/5/6/7/8 and even a bit of 9 but could't stand 10 - legacy...
Apparently because you're autistic? It has a bit different design here and there and suffers from budget restraints but that's all. A decent game at the very least. Plenty of set-ups to try out, for you I'd recommend all casters obviously.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
sssd will clear out the absolute fuck out of everything with sparks in melee range and fireballs at distance, both spells being insanely mana-cost-effective if used correctly.

Why do people *always* dismiss the issue of damage-time-effectiveness? This is arguably much more important than mana-cost-effectiveness, especially if facing hard-hitting opponents who you want to dispose of ASAP. In those cases Shrapmetal is love, Shrapmetal is life.

In fact, going light is stronger than going dake here - you already have all the magical offensive power you need, and light gives you the insane defense that your spellcasters normally lack.

Well, fair enough. But the light path is ewww.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Why do people *always* dismiss the issue of damage-time-effectiveness? This is arguably much more important than mana-cost-effectiveness, especially if facing hard-hitting opponents who you want to dispose of ASAP. In those cases Shrapmetal is love, Shrapmetal is life.
because that was never the issue? Find nice choke point and defend your position.

jackofshadows

Magister
I found the game too linear, low lethality and honestly din't liked. TBH M&M IX seems a better game. My favorite is 6.
Ok what's up with low lethality complain? I get that when you shoot someone in the face with .50 round and he lose like 1/3 hp because we have a repegee here buddy but we have a light-hearted fantasy here. Would you really prefer if all the mobs die almost instantly? We have mm6 for that kind of fun indeed but here devs were trying to add a little tactical layer to it with mixed success (the whole idea of aggro stuff is stupid they should've went with formations or discard it all together) and having boss fights from the start is refreshing. Later on if your builds are efficient you'll be shredding to pieces everything anyway. Which kinda tells that you either come up with a bad set-up or didn't finish the game at all.

Same for linear - it opens up later on, that's all. A small game, not linear.

I don't disregard IX and was surprised that it isn't even closely as shitty as pretty much everyone was saying but couldn't tell with a straight face that it's better than X as a whole.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom