Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 7.9%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 183 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 215 28.8%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 130 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.3%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.8%

• Total voters

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I try to find short abridged reviews but sometimes it doesn't happen. Alas, with no real internet I can't reliably upload content at all. I do EVERYTHING via my shitty iphone. Once in a blue moon my connection allows an upload or dl through hotspot. Sucks.

Anyway, I can do a few things through my phone. I wanted to reshare some of the manual pics. Some of these are pretty good (generally MM1-Xeen).
yLFlXFE.jpg

WdjtvZn.jpg

UhNdKk8.jpg

vU299Yu.jpg

rChPORd.jpg

4KFjmHJ.jpg

KSya8vJ.jpg

Q4PUM8A.jpg

YQ2dCrf.jpg

3l6kQBM.jpg

hgV2nHT.jpg

yHYN8nu.jpg

Last edited:

wishbonetail

Learned
try to find shirt abridged reviews but sometimes it doesn't happen. Alas, with no real internet I can't reliably upload content at all. I do EVERYTHING via my shitty iphone. Once in a blue moon my connection allows an upload or dl through hotspot. Sucks.
Hah, im playing MM2 on a friggin 7" samsung galaxy, on a megadrive emulator. It is a no mean feat let me tell ya, but I think Im gonna make it. It is hell though, to play this on a touchscreen gamepad, every action takes three times longer than it should, it took me at least 20 hours just to get used to it. Nevertheless It is pretty accurate 16bit remake of PC version.

wishbonetail

Learned
I've found Terbograf16 emulator on android. When im done with MM2, ill try Isles of Terra. That is a good thing.The bad thing is that i didnt play MM3 on PC.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Played MM3 on amiga but didn't finish. Finished it on PC several times. Tbh, 3-xeen is kind of the easy-peasy baby might & magics. Swords is tougher. It'd be hard for me to rate the ease of each game considering platforms vary a little and determining a scale is the issue. Size of game, how fast to complete, difficulty of combats, puzzles, interface and frustration, etc. I would have liked MMX to be untethered from steam & ubi but I say that about all games. If you like achievements and shit then fine, but sometimes that isn't possible so cut the tether.

i don't know if the tbgfx16 one i found is translated or not. I am wondering if there isn't an in-game toggle tbh.

https://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/pcengine/

Mednafen eh?

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Played MM3 on amiga but didn't finish. Finished it on PC several times. Tbh, 3-xeen is kind of the easy-peasy baby might & magics. Swords is tougher. It'd be hard for me to rate the ease of each game considering platforms vary a little and determining a scale is the issue. Size of game, how fast to complete, difficulty of combats, puzzles, interface and frustration, etc. I would have liked MMX to be untethered from steam & ubi but I say that about all games. If you like achievements and shit then fine, but sometimes that isn't possible so cut the tether.

i don't know if the tbgfx16 one i found is translated or not. I am wondering if there isn't an in-game toggle tbh.

https://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/pcengine/

Mednafen eh?

I'm not speaking for everyone but rather than difficulty comparison, it's more about eventual censorship and even more about music and sound effects.
It seems PCengine version is way slower so maybe sound effects aren't botchered, it'd be quite nice if it was the case.

Good sfx and no censorship would make it my favorite version.

I tried retroarch a while back for Death's Adder revenge but either i had a phony demo rom or it just didn't work and i'm not sure about mednafen.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
tried retroarch a while back for Death's Adder revenge but either i had a phony demo rom or it just didn't work and i'm not sure about mednafen.
I can't say I've ever had any problems with Mednafen, outside of Atari Lynx emulation, which I think has an issue with older versions of game files. Might be some other issues, but those are very easy fixes. The specific version of game files seems to be a big problem with the newer, more accurate emulators, because if you have a version that isn't clean or perhaps just an older version, some won't run it. I think Retroarch uses those kinds of emulators, or maybe there was some weird issue with it. I gave up on Retroarch when it wouldn't properly play DOS games, which made me highly suspect of its entire design.

wishbonetail

Learned
If anyone is interested in turbograpgx emulator pce.emu for android, which is based on Mednafen.
Most common old version 1.5.13 runs MM3 iso mostly fine, albeit with some sound issues.
1.5.50 is the most recent one for android 11, which is free, wont launch mine MM3 iso and it is a pain in the ass to search for another.
1.5.58 as of now is paid, so fuck it.
Wanted to give it a go but after MM2 i'm kinda burned out. That shit is humongous, it surely
is a biggest game on SegaMD platform. It took me over a month with guides. Without guides i wouldve spent my remaining years in this one. And, oh boy, it surely is cryptic. Devs back in the days meant business with no hand holding.
If anyone wants to try it on a gamepad, don't. Just ..don't. It wasn't intended to be played this way. Word "tedious" means nothing to me now.
On a good side, Im pleasantly surprised at how consistent game design of these series is throughout the years. I think, you can launch any game from 1 to 8 and it will be mostly the same old MM. This is how you do transition from TB to realtime. Of course, TB combat felt more tactical, with status effects usage and realtime was mostly about hiding behind corners and strafing.
Overall, it was a good history lesson but I think for a newcomer MM3 is a way to go.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Bah! Era is on the damn mega site. I keep getting (data overage bullshit). I'll ve sure to host that file elsewhere when/if i get it.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
At least he made an effort here to make it vaguely relevant to the thread, in the Wizardry one, he didn't even bother.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Have you fellas addressed the MM2 Japan exclusive SNES version that got translated by MrRichard999? It's different from the SNES MM2 that was an European exclusive.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
quick q gize, in MM7 (and 8), when you wield the spear one-handed, does it count as a one handed or two handed weapon, speed wise? There was this tester on the TELP forums who said going spear+sword outshines the damage of axe+sword, but I have my doubts.

wishbonetail

Learned
quick q gize, in MM7 (and 8), when you wield the spear one-handed, does it count as a one handed or two handed weapon, speed wise? There was this tester on the TELP forums who said going spear+sword outshines the damage of axe+sword, but I have my doubts.
Recovery time of spear is 80, sword 90, axe 100. When dual wielding the highest value is used. So, i guess spear+sword would be 10 percent faster than sword+axe.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
I have forgotten mention this is a Wizardry-like game. But I used the "need food for rest" idea from M&M.

You really know how to pluck the best features from the classics, don't you?
Yes, the goal was to make a Wiz/M&M-like game.
You gave me a great idea, I am going to implement the M&M 1-2 turn-based combat as well, optionally. Hmmm, it could not be so hard to program. Fighting with the 100 barbarians or was it 1000?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
You gave me a great idea, I am going to implement the M&M 1-2 turn-based combat as well, optionally. Hmmm, it could not be so hard to program. Fighting with the 100 barbarians or was it 1000?

It's 99.
Let me give you another one, free/cheap assets packs to replace every single graphic asset.

wishbonetail

Learned

It's 99.
Let me give you another one, free/cheap assets packs to replace every single graphic asset.
It's 255. Largest number that can be stored in a single byte. Most of the numbers in MM1,2 are max out at 255.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom