Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 7.9%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 183 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 215 28.8%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 130 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.3%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.8%

• Total voters

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
No interest. I don't wanna more bloated stats for monsters and removing immunity is a :decline:

I don't wanna fire specialized wizards burning fire elementals Dark Schneider style. Mainly because M&M 6 is very generous with damage types. For example, if you mastered air magic, you can deal lightning damage with lightning bolt or physical damage with implosion. Water magic has cold, poison and physical damaging spells. Dark, physical and poison. Removing insta death from enemies is another thing that I din't liked. Monsters mindless charging towards you, I also din't liked.

I really wanna a mod which allows you to play M&M VI with inhuman races. Preferentially M&M 8 races but not "races as classes". Where I can find M&M 6 mods?

The MMMerge mod is there for you.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
My bad, Excalibur is +65 and Hades +54 ^^'
Also, Chiyolate adds alchemy recipes in the empty bottles tooltip, I'd be against on a first playthrough but on a replay, it's quite alright, you're going to look the recipes up anyway.

Now, I want to play The Chaos Conspiracy (M1M 6 mod) revised by Grayface but probably next year, with luk, part two will be revised as well then.

Well, you'll probably love Wizardry 8, don't forget the speedmods though.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Now, I want to play The Chaos Conspiracy (M1M 6 mod) revised by Grayface but probably next year, with luk, part two will be revised as well then.
What does the first part of that actually do? I remember briefly trying it after finishing MM6 a year or so ago and thinking, hey, this is just MM6 again! Without any changes.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
What does the first part of that actually do? I remember briefly trying it after finishing MM6 a year or so ago and thinking, hey, this is just MM6 again! Without any changes.

It just completely changes the main quest, then buffs all the monsters, i'm not sure about itemization changes.
And there's Grayface's revized version, which is certainly better but i didn't play it, the original Chaos Conspiracy was a bit too hard, not that you couldn't beat it but you'd have to excessively use hit and run tactics and hide in corners to take some enemies out one by one, like in the cellar with all those undead, a real nightmare.

cthscr

Novice
I don't wanna fire specialized wizards burning fire elementals Dark Schneider style. Mainly because M&M 6 is very generous with damage types. For example, if you mastered air magic, you can deal lightning damage with lightning bolt or physical damage with implosion. Water magic has cold, poison and physical damaging spells. Dark, physical and poison. Removing insta death from enemies is another thing that I din't liked. Monsters mindless charging towards you, I also din't liked.

I really wanna a mod which allows you to play M&M VI with inhuman races. Preferentially M&M 8 races but not "races as classes". Where I can find M&M 6 mods?

Merge uses MM8's spell system. Restrictions on spell damage type. Could be mitigated by editing spells.txt.
Merge uses mostly MM7's skill system. Restrictions on spells learnable. Could be mitigated by editing Data/Tables/SpellsLearning.txt in Revamp.
Together these systems give you spells that have no defined behavior for lower skill masteries (usually it turns into usage of first available mastery parameters). Requires one to patch mm8.exe to mitigate.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Merge uses MM8's spell system. Restrictions on spell damage type. Could be mitigated by editing spells.txt.
Merge uses mostly MM7's skill system. Restrictions on spells learnable. Could be mitigated by editing Data/Tables/SpellsLearning.txt in Revamp.
Together these systems give you spells that have no defined behavior for lower skill masteries (usually it turns into usage of first available mastery parameters). Requires one to patch mm8.exe to mitigate.

So I can play with a vampire and use spells like M&M VI. Amazing.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Did you mean David Hernandez (DaveHer) Enhanced version or am I missing something?

I just checked and yes, that's the one. (Nexus link)
Also :

Enhancements done by GrayFace.
GrayFace Wrote: Here are files for MM6 version of TCCR. Includes reworked
sprites and fixed maps. I've removed all extra monsters that resulted from the export trick that you used, fixed some textures and their alignment

An I'm done with the Mandate of Heaven for now...

M-M-6-chiyolate-mod-end.png

29/39 Dungeons cleared
10/12 Promotion quests.
A bit of Supreme Titans farming to get some Artifacts because treasure chests were not very generous.

Picked Learning 10 early, then 15/20 and Master + 15% xp bonus follower which was not really necessary here, bad habits, a banker was more appropriate, switched them by mid-game and used a pathfinder as well because i hate wasting time on maps crossings.

First time I max out some skills at 60, I didn't even know about the limit.

Last edited:
:bioware:

I'm here to report I've been playing MM6 the last week or so too. Was sort of a roundabout way of getting here since the germ of it came from playing the old Final Fantasy games for the first time, mentioning how they were giving me pleasing MM-like vibes in that most of them gave 0 shits about story and were just worlds you stomp around mowing down and having fun with and aren't particularly difficult or brain-burny, then as I was taking a break after beating FF4 I got the urge to play Deus Ex with the Revision mod for the first time and enjoyed it which had me in the mood to fall down a nostalgia-hole, and even though I was considering Xeen since it's the best I realized I'd never really fucked around with Grayface patches so I started up Mandate of Heaven with it and I've been having a fantastic time. The double speed's nice for making walking around less of a chore (At least one point where it gets more up to speed with 3-4-5 in that you can tear around really fast when shit's cleared) and somehow MM6 has been a perfect multitasking game. Running it windowed with the patch means I'll fuck around in a dungeon, shitpost, talk to buds, then go back to fuck around again seamlessly. Just been a beautiful way to spend my evenings to the point where I've been ignoring most other games in favor of more loafing around with MM6.

In fact just to counteract some vgh sovl brofist harvesting I'll say I reinstalled Arcanum too after Deus Ex and found that dramatically worse than I remembered. Arcanum's always been "Cool world, cool writing, awful to play" in my memory but the writing wasn't even as good as I'd remembered. Drog's patch made it somewhat less miserable to play but it was rough. Especially after fully replaying Deus Ex and sinking a week so far into MM6 and having a great time with both of them while I got around 6 hours into Arcanum and I'm probably gonna call it quits.

Anyway, god bless Might and Magic for being so relaxing. And to tie this back around to Final Fantasy which is how I ended up back here to begin with, I wasn't just being crazy and I can absolutely see how they were inspiring similar feelings in me. I'm still preferring the MM version of things to FF (MM's sillier, has a bit more depth while still maintaining that smooth feeling, has a bit more exciting exploration. By and large MM just does everything in a bit better way) but they both fit that slot of "Enjoyable light RPG where I can sit down in the evening and don't have to think too much". Which sounds like something that should be easy to find, but maintaining ease of play while still being entertaining is a fine line to tread. For as much as I liked MM10 it just isn't fun in the same way.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
MM6 is comfy as fuck and something about the janky aesthetics only make it even better. Plus there's loads of replay value in trying odd class combos.

The only real problem with MM6 is...
Castle Darkmoor

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Remove your buffs, drive you insane, and generally act annoying. My method for clearing Darkmoor is to nuke the place with inferno over and over.
I just go in and shoot everything down lol buffz are for cuckz. Just smash some liches and have fun. I normally do it one in game day or maybe two. Just use the loyd's beacon and teleport to new sorpigal to get healed in the temple,then go back and continue cleansing. It is pretty easy dungeon,the pyramid is more annoying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom