Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 7.9%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 183 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 215 28.8%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 130 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.3%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.8%

• Total voters

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I used to think that VII was the "best" (as in, it was the better of the three, even if 8 was my personal favorite) but ever since replaying 6 properly that opinion has changed. The skill system not being strict about classes getting skill masteries is something I found very welcome. Subjective, but neither 7's starting area or its end area were very good, albeit 7's starting area is a better tutorial for the series that either other game provided.
Though one big thing in its favor is that 7 doesn't have a dungeon with ten thousand beholders in it.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Subjective, but neither 7's starting area or its end area were very good, albeit 7's starting area is a better tutorial for the series that either other game provided.

Emerald Isle's actually pretty nice. Harmondale is dull. Painfully so.

Though one big thing in its favor is that 7 doesn't have a dungeon with ten thousand beholders in it.

Darkmoor is love. Darkmoor is lifeunlife. Not having a Darkmoor-like experience is to VII's detriment.

jackofshadows

Magister
Having Darkmoor and the other 3 end game dungeons is what makes VI so great. If somehow we'd put that aside, VII would be better pretty much at everything.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
jI1XppB.jpg

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Electric scooterish thing can be taken to metro/train and in general be mighty fine city transportation method.

RatTower

Arcane
Developer

Playing MM6 right now. Standard party loadout.
Currently doing the last few council quests.

Any recommendations for mid to late game?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
So, I picked a save of a M&M VI Chiyolate run, rushing toward the end, i'm at the oracle crystal's quest.
Good things:
  • Better artifacts weapons, some of them really sucked so it's really nice.
  • Expert and Master trainers info on the skill sheet, great as well.

Bad:
  • It's easier, monsters were buffed but weapons as well and monsters give way too much xp now.

I didn't play M&M VI for a long time, last time was with the chaos conspiracy, which wasn't quite right either, too much bloat but without the buffs and I didn't remember how water mastery was accessible in M&M 6, real decline in M&M 7 and 8 on this part.

Also, The Chaos Conspiracy was redone by Grayface, so it's probably better now but i'm not sure he did part 2 (chaos conspiracy has two parts, don't ask me why)

The perfect Might & Magic would be:
  1. Isles of terra with M&M 8 sound effects.
  2. Mandate of Heaven with Arcomage and weapons artifacts being the best weapons, by far.
  3. Clouds of Xeen without the Red dwarf mines and M&M 8 sound effects

octavius

Arcane
Patron
)

2. Mandate of Heaven with Arcomage and weapons artifacts being the best weapons, by far.

To me it would be the MM6 world, skill system and quests, with MM2 combat and items, and no level scaling.

BTW, what's "M&M VI Chiyolate run"?

Efe

Erudite
Chiyolate Fun & Balanced MM6 Mod makes MM6 more enjoyable for all types of parties.

Changes
Weapon stats, armors, monsters' HPs, EXPs, golds, drop rates, and a lot of things have been carefully adjusted and boosted to make the gameplay much more satisfying and rewarding.
Expect to finish this game at Lv.300+ and have maxed out some skills! This game now feels modern and complete!
Blast through tougher monsters with either powerful combinations of melee weapons or Lv.60 spells is now possible without killing 3 of your party members. But you can still play solo in this mod to make it even harder and challenging.
Never worry again if you're playing with a full melee party, because wizard's eye and torchlight spell scrolls are now abundant!
Annoying monsters' spells have also been readjusted for a better non-frustrating gaming experience.
You can now play MM6 without switching back and forth to a webpage for potion recipes, skill teachers locations, etc because you can now just right-click and find it in the description!
Item enchantments have also been boosted to make your party building more fun!

Just try Chiyolate Fun & Balanced MM6 Mod and feel the power!

first result of google search for exact phrase

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Stat bloat
No monsters are immune at 0:10

No interest. I don't wanna more bloated stats for monsters and removing immunity is a :decline:

I don't wanna fire specialized wizards burning fire elementals Dark Schneider style. Mainly because M&M 6 is very generous with damage types. For example, if you mastered air magic, you can deal lightning damage with lightning bolt or physical damage with implosion. Water magic has cold, poison and physical damaging spells. Dark, physical and poison. Removing insta death from enemies is another thing that I din't liked. Monsters mindless charging towards you, I also din't liked.

I really wanna a mod which allows you to play M&M VI with inhuman races. Preferentially M&M 8 races but not "races as classes". Where I can find M&M 6 mods?

Efe

Erudite
I think it sucks too
a tour around sorpigal and goblinwatch makes you lv15+ in an hour, basic bow does 10d2 dmg
its probably made by someone that doesnt actually enjoy m&m

Darth Canoli

Arcane
To me it would be the MM6 world, skill system and quests, with MM2 combat and items, and no level scaling.

Interesting, I can't compare M&M 2 items because I didn't play it but I doubt there is a revolution there, would you care to develop?

As for the combat, I suppose it's a matter of taste, I'm not a big fan of Bard's Tale combat (M&M 2's combat looks like BT's combat) but I can hardly say I'm a big fan of M&M combat either, let's say it's harmless, mostly alright with some interesting fights every now and then, Isles of Terra combat was way more interesting but it's arguably the same system with a better (un)balance.

As for Chiyolate, I don't recommend it, aside from the two interesting features I mentioned, it makes the game way faster to complete mostly due to items stats bloat, you can get +450/550 (possibly up to 600, i guess) items, be it STR, INT or even HP and SP.
2x +500 HP on a magic user is overpowered.

About monsters, I don't think it completely disabled immunities, i think i remember oozes being immune to regular weapons (without + fire and such).
Also, A supreme Titan would go from 1.2K HP to 25K HP but weapons are 2x/4x more powerful (plus the items stats bloat).
The worst thing besides +500 HP armors and shields is the xp boost monsters got, my party is level 300 and eligible to 320+ and i only completed 22/39 dungeons.

Last but not least, I found an excel chart on some M&M website where you can just check dungeons, obelisks, promotions quests and council quests. It beats writing it down on a piece of paper which always turns out quite messy.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Interesting, I can't compare M&M 2 items because I didn't play it but I doubt there is a revolution there, would you care to develop?

Just that I like the idea of having occasionally seeing defeated monsters drop Doomsday Boxes which means a chance of finding +64 items. It means you can always get better items, and combat doesn't become a chore. But by all means, itemization is already very good in MM6, so I agree there would be no revolution.
About combat, MM2 has the most tactical combat of the abstract blobber type combat, at least among western RPGs.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Just that I like the idea of having occasionally seeing defeated monsters drop Doomsday Boxes which means a chance of finding +64 items. It means you can always get better items, and combat doesn't become a chore. But by all means, itemization is already very good in MM6, so I agree there would be no revolution.
About combat, MM2 has the most tactical combat of the abstract blobber type combat, at least among western RPGs.

So far, I'd give that spot to Wizardry 8, I don't think BT's combat is more tactical.

+64 items ^^'
Well, with that M&M 6 mod, Excalibur is now +54...
It's over the top, I just want a M&M 6 mod adding Arcomage and giving +1 or 2 dices and +2/4 hit damage compared to their current stats.

Two Artifacts weapons (1H swords) from vanilla M&M VI
Hades Longsword 3d3+15 30000 +20 Poison Damage, +20 Luck, Thievery, Negative Regeneration
-->3d6+18

Excalibur Broadsword 3d4+12 20000 +30 Might
-->3d7+15 (+50 Might)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom