Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 7.9%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 183 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 215 28.8%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 130 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.3%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.8%

• Total voters

Casual Hero

Prophet
Zombra is correct in this case; light blue graph paper that didn't show up on my scanner.
I'm not that crazy.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
[...]
Either that or Casual Hero is some kind of robot here to destroy the Codex and I for one surrender immediately.

u-https-tse2-mm-bing-net-th-id-OIP.jpg

Extermi... Draw dungeon maps!

:what:

Normally wouldn't be bean-counting the impact of buffs, but I was wrapping up an evening gaming and I knocked out both master light and master dark magic so I figured I'd shut down for the night by checking the impact of the buff. Now I'm puzzled.
If my cleric casts bless, the party gets +17 to-hit which is correct for master spirit magic casting bless (5 + the skill in spirit magic, which is 12) which is fine and dandy. But then I cast my newly learned hour of power which casts multiple buffs (Including bless) at a value based on my light magic skill, which is currently master-level and 12 points. Light-master casting hour of power says all spells are cast at 4 times skill, so theoretically should be 48 which should mean everyone getting a +53 to hit since it's 5 + skill but the end result is... +17 to hit. At first I thought it was just not overriding an existing bless so I reloaded to make sure I was casting it without bless already running and get the same result. The same's true of all the spells cast during hour of power, such as heroism.

Even weirder, that made me check day of the gods for another light magic mass-buff. Easiest test I've got of that is for lucky day, another case of light and spirit magic being at 12-master so everything's on an even playing field. Cleric has 30 luck naturally, lucky day at master adds 10 +3 per point of skill, and after casting it the cleric's luck goes to 76 (46 point gain, as it should be). Casting day of the gods which includes lucky day in it and has the same master-tier tooltip of all the buffs being cast at 4 times light skill puts my cleric at... 88 luck. So more than lucky day (Which means it's acting differently than hour of power even though it shouldn't be) but not as much as the tooltip claims it should be doing. Even if the lucky day cast by day of the gods counts as normal-skill rather than expert or master (Which reduces the gain from skill) it would be 10 +2 point of skill, which if I'm casting at an effective skill of 48 I should still be getting 106 points of luck for a total luck of 136.

Another oddity, day of protection for dark magic DOES function as the tooltips state. My cleric has 0 elemental resists and as soon as day of protection is cast, they're at 48.

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter but I was curious if it's just the tooltips being fucked and I never knew or if I'm being retarded and missing something. Mainly I just want those buffs for the convenience of faster buffing but it still surprised me when that shit isn't working as good as it says it should. Especially since the dark magic buff IS working like it says it should (Again, assuming casting the buffs at normal-tier which seems reasonable for this bullshit and would agree with the 48 to elemental resists). Please enjoy this image of a dead woman after reading this ranting about buffs being bullshit.

FhdB1FG.jpg

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Light-master casting hour of power says all spells are cast at 4 times skill, so theoretically should be 48 which should mean everyone getting a +53 to hit since it's 5 + skill but the end result is... +17 to hit. At first I thought it was just not overriding an existing bless so I reloaded to make sure I was casting it without bless already running and get the same result. The same's true of all the spells cast during hour of power, such as heroism.

Maybe it's just spell duration that's multiplied by 4 ?

Maybe it's just spell duration that's multiplied by 4 ?
I wouldn't think so in large part due to day of protection giving +48 to resists. It also, apparently, isn't based on the character's regular skill in the spells since when the cleric casts hour of power she's got 0 earth magic skill and stone skin is giving +17 AC and stone skin gives 5 +1 per point of skill, so it's functioning as though cast at 12 skill. As far as I can tell it's just fucked up tooltips, unfortunately I haven't got a save from before I got light mastery so I can't compare to see if untrained or expert were giving the same baseline buff as this. Fortunately, I did have enough XP for a couple levels so after a trip to the trainer I could bump my light magic skill to 13 to see what that does to the buffs, and it... Is adding +4. Luck was 88 after casting day of the gods at 12 light magic, and it's 92 at 13 light magic. Hour of power's bless effect is only gaining +1 to hit from that skill point though. I need to stop looking at these goddamn numbers I'm going to drive myself crazy.

Did a little more Googling now since I only did the scantest searching last night and kicked up someone else mystified about it on GoG at least. Doesn't look like anyone's got a clear answer, it's just the light/dark mass buff spells are fucky and don't work like they say.
https://af.gog.com/forum/might_and_magic_series/mm_6_hour_powerday_of_the_gods_wording?as=1649904300

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I wouldn't think so in large part due to day of protection giving +48 to resists. It also, apparently, isn't based on the character's regular skill in the spells since when the cleric casts hour of power she's got 0 earth magic skill and stone skin is giving +17 AC and stone skin gives 5 +1 per point of skill, so it's functioning as though cast at 12 skill. As far as I can tell it's just fucked up tooltips, unfortunately I haven't got a save from before I got light mastery so I can't compare to see if untrained or expert were giving the same baseline buff as this. Fortunately, I did have enough XP for a couple levels so after a trip to the trainer I could bump my light magic skill to 13 to see what that does to the buffs, and it... Is adding +4. Luck was 88 after casting day of the gods at 12 light magic, and it's 92 at 13 light magic. Hour of power's bless effect is only gaining +1 to hit from that skill point though. I need to stop looking at these goddamn numbers I'm going to drive myself crazy.

Did a little more Googling now since I only did the scantest searching last night and kicked up someone else mystified about it on GoG at least. Doesn't look like anyone's got a clear answer, it's just the light/dark mass buff spells are fucky and don't work like they say.
https://af.gog.com/forum/might_and_magic_series/mm_6_hour_powerday_of_the_gods_wording?as=1649904300

Are you even using Grayface patch?
I know for sure day of the gods works fine and also haste from hour of power scales accordingly but I'm not sure about heroism bonus.
But I seriously doubt Grayface didn't fix it if it didn't work correctly.

Are you even using Grayface patch?
I know for sure day of the gods works fine and also haste from hour of power scales accordingly but I'm not sure about heroism bonus.
But I seriously doubt Grayface didn't fix it if it didn't work correctly.
Yep, I am. Unless somehow everything like mouselook and running the game windowed and having quicksave got patched in but game changes didn't.

Codex Year of the Donut
Nintendo's consoles were always aimed at young children/family friendly, the censorship is no surprise.
For parents it's nice to be able to buy games and not have to worry about what content they may contain.

Having a large platform selection with different targeted audiences is a good thing.

Codex Year of the Donut
Nintendo's consoles were always aimed at young children/family friendly, the censorship is no surprise.
Young children would not get harmed by statue's boobs. This censorship comes from complexed adults, aimed at molding of complexed children.
It's not meant to be nuanced decisions that can be lawyered around, it's a platform for young children. Yes, that does sometimes result in hilarious censorship.
It's like asking why a PG version of a film went overboard with censorship. Because that's the entire point of it.

Young children would not get harmed by statue's boobs. This censorship comes from complexed adults, aimed at molding of complexed children.
It's a parent's right to choose what content they want their children to view. Whether the child would be "harmed" or not is irrelevant to that. Nintendo simply catered to this demographic with their approved products.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I wonder if the choice of pink bikini is a subtle method of protest? Makes the content underneath seem much worse than what it actually is. Especially since a lot of media for children with mermaids don't have them wearing panties. Because they intentionally design it so any no-no bits are not even close to being visible. It wouldn't be too hard to affect such changes so it isn't glaringly obvious.

Codex Year of the Donut
I wonder if the choice of pink bikini is a subtle method of protest? Makes the content underneath seem much worse than what it actually is. Especially since a lot of media for children with mermaids don't have them wearing panties. Because they intentionally design it so any no-no bits are not even close to being visible. It wouldn't be too hard to affect such changes so it isn't glaringly obvious.
They're the ones who chose to release their game on a heavily censored platform, it would be strange to protest your own decision.
The port was done by a separate developer(Iguana Entertainment), btw.

Wonder how many of you are aware how different the Japanese version of M&M 2 is :M

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Reading all the weapon and blood removals shows hiw damn stupid censorship is. What age was this game targeted towards? I was pretty young when conan & rambo & terminator came out and I did watch them. (Born nov 1974).

edit...
It is swords & sorcery.... what are they fighting with? Nerf?

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, the Japanese music is better than the European. Both are better than this SCREECH

Thank god for mute.

More comparisons

Ya know, I don't think MM2 was ever on the turbografx 16.

Jesus fuck a ten hour vid?!?!?!

So, I guess no MM2 for the turbografx 16

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
It'd be informative if you actually played Isles of Terra Turbografx and could compare it yourself in a few sentences here, I for one don't watch videos of people playing games.

You have to draw a line somewhere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom