Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 7.9%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 183 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 215 28.8%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 130 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.3%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.8%

• Total voters

Ysaye

Arbiter
Holy crap how did 70 people vote for X being the greatest game in the entire series?

WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE?
I think it is partly the people that would normally vote Might and Magic King Comrade but missed that option. But I agree, they really need help.

EruDaan

Arcane
The popamole people.

Edit: damn... a second too late. :( Curse you, lukaszek.

I think one of the things that made Isles of Terra great was the vibrant colouring. Everything was just nice looking. Sure Clouds and Darkside added monster attack and getting hit frames bu-ut.
Talking about being exploitative - Terra isn't free from it. There are methods to exploit and completeley break the game, if you're patient and know the game well and played it a few... dozen... times.

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
The popamole people.
The entire series is popamole, and X is arguably the least popamole of them all.

Would consider it a solid contender for second spot. I voted 7 tho, can't beat an all mage/priest dark party mowing down titans and dragons machinegun spamming dragon breath. Now THAT's popamole.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
- Might & Magic X had a smaller game world than most of the other games in the series

- Might & Magic X had far fewer choices for character types, spells, items, weapons, armor, enemies, creatures, etc., etc.

- Might & Magic X wasn't even made by the original developers; it was co-opted and written in Unity ffs and ran like pure dogshit

- Might & Magic X is comparatively uninspiring on several levels compared to most of the other games in the series: graphically, story-wise, artistically, general scope, etc.

These are my opening arguments. Now it's your turn.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
i shall keep it in line and spirit of your arguments

- mmx have better puzzles than most of the other games in the series
- mmx char gen choices matter most than in other games in the series
- mmx runs better than certain other game(s) in the series
- mmx got more inspired landscape than certain other games in the series that even made it to top3 in this poll

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
You said 'arguably', which apparently you're unable to do.

Therefore, no brofists for you.

Case closed.
I was about to, but since you're being rude, I deleted my comment. I said it was already arguable, and someone already argued. That actually proves my point better, since the debate arose organically and didn't need me to artificially create one.

I win.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
The entire series is popamole, and X is arguably the least popamole of them all.
This is what you posted. I accepted the challenge and presented my arguments. You have none to support your statement.

I don't think I'm being rude; this is RPG Codex and you just insulted one of the greatest computer roleplaying games series ever. I'm not going to sit here and take that shit, especially when you qualify it by stating that it's "arguable".

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
King Crispy what makes you think that you can win argument against user who is deleting his posts in order to keep count at 69

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
It's funny because I was just about to tell him I'm going to refer to him from now on as "One of Seventy".

Talking about being exploitative - Terra isn't free from it. There are methods to exploit and completeley break the game, if you're patient and know the game well and played it a few... dozen... times.
True, M&M being torn apart by meta knowledge is kind of a consistent theme. I think that's actually part of the charm of the series, exploring and acquiring that knowledge is what makes the games great rather than just about level grinding. My issue with Xeen is that the exploits don't even require meta knowledge and tend to be very simple (warp to the 2nd town in clouds for level boost then cast day spells to invalidate almost all difficulty in clouds/darkside except for the hardest areas) or accidental (go to darkside for 30 mins to see what's there, possibly by accident just clicking at things in clouds, come back and you've outleveled half of clouds).

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
This is what you posted. I accepted the challenge and presented my arguments. You have none to support your statement.

I don't think I'm being rude; this is RPG Codex and you just insulted one of the greatest computer roleplaying games series ever. I'm not going to sit here and take that shit, especially when you qualify it by stating that it's "arguable".
M&M being popamole is established codex tradition.
tricycle.jpg

All the m&M's i've played had simple char development (always boost the same skills) and simple gameplay (spam damage spells or basic attacks). x has more enemies that require different approaches, positioning matters sometimes (IE: the naga boss that will push you off the lighthouse), the world is small but dense, lots of high quality puzzles to break up the combat, most in depth class/race design in the entire series. Only thing it really loses out on is the cheese. 6/7/8 had very good cheese. And you could use mods+real time mode to let you strafe like a FPS.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
This is an old meme, but a good one. It's designed to infuriate and does a good job of that. Do you even know who is being referenced in the 'Which is better and why? Discuss!!' caption?

All the m&M's i've played had simple char development (always boost the same skills)
The skills comment is a fair one to make, but you cannot stand by an implication that X's character creation and development on a whole surpasses anything M&M before it.

simple gameplay (spam damage spells or basic attacks)
Utterly unfair and disingenuous. You know as well as I do that X has "simple" gameplay as well. The Might and Magic series has never been known for its tactical complexity.

x has more enemies that require different approaches, positioning matters sometimes (IE: the naga boss that will push you off the lighthouse)
The naga example is an interesting one, but I thought that entire mechanism was rather cheesy on their part; you're forced into it and forced to fight on her terms.

And I don't think that X has more enemies. Are you stating that as a stand-alone statement or are you linking it to the positioning aspect?

the world is small but dense
:hype:

lots of high quality puzzles to break up the combat
I can't recall a single puzzle from the game. Does that mean they're not memorable at all or does it mean I have dementia?

most in depth class/race design in the entire series
M&M has always been rather human-centric, so I suppose this may be true. However, it doesn't qualify the entire series before X as being 'popamole'.

And you could use mods
No.

At least you presented arguments this time. Why did I have to beat them out of you?

Welcome to RPG Fucking Codex.

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
This is an old meme, but a good one. It's designed to infuriate and does a good job of that. Do you even know who is being referenced in the 'Which is better and why? Discuss!!' caption?

I used to but I don't remember, sorry. Andhaira?
All the m&M's i've played had simple char development (always boost the same skills)
The skills comment is a fair one to make, but you cannot stand by an implication that X's character creation and development on a whole surpasses anything M&M before it.

Some classes can be built in different ways. For example, you can build a crusader as a pure spellcaster, and they are good at it (unlike previous games' hybrids which sucked at spellcasting). Their promotion ability also complements both a spellcaster and a melee oriented build. Levels and skill points are limited so specialization is encouraged.

simple gameplay (spam damage spells or basic attacks)
Utterly unfair and disingenuous. You know as well as I do that X has "simple" gameplay as well. The Might and Magic series has never been known for its tactical complexity.

In general sure, but compared to its predecessors? You build a knight and all you'll do is use the basic attack all game. X has enemies that require guard breaking, and melee chars have some abilities to help break through blocking, or defend other party members. It's not that complex but it's more than spam basic attack.

x has more enemies that require different approaches, positioning matters sometimes (IE: the naga boss that will push you off the lighthouse)
The naga example is an interesting one, but I thought that entire mechanism was rather cheesy on their part; you're forced into it and forced to fight on her terms.

And I don't think that X has more enemies. Are you stating that as a stand-alone statement or are you linking it to the positioning aspect?

I'm saying it has more enemies that require different approaches from the default "spam attacks/spells until they die." Some previous games had unique enemies, like spellcasters that cast reflection, or those light wisps that dispel your buffs (can easily get you killed if you're a melee heavy party that relies on light magic enchants). This feels like more of the norm in X. IE: the first town is full of poisonous spiders and you need to manage that. if you just plow through mindlessly you'll get taken down by attrition.
lots of high quality puzzles to break up the combat
I can't recall a single puzzle from the game. Does that mean they're not memorable at all or does it mean I have dementia?
I dunno. Do you like puzzles?

most in depth class/race design in the entire series
M&M has always been rather human-centric, so I suppose this may be true. However, it doesn't qualify the entire series before X as being 'popamole'.

The point is that X has a little more depth in most areas, so I view it as less popamole. I greatly enjoyed every M&M game I've played and sneaking as early as possible to eeofol in 7, through tunnels full of massive behemoths, knowing that if i touch one my invisibility (and my life) ends, and also knowing that at my level of mastery, invisibility will run out if I don't move quickly, is still my fondest memory of the entire series. Popamole speaks to the simple nature of the series. It's not an insult and it's not always a bad thing.

At least you presented arguments this time. Why did I have to beat them out of you?

Welcome to RPG Fucking Codex.
Thanks. I didn't sign up to argue with people, I signed up to get feedback for my game (which is pretty popamole). But you know how it goes, you click on something and then you can't help yourself.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
My gripe of X is the forced third party needed to play. I hate that shit. You could probably play offline if you didn't need that damn ubisoft shit on.

Btw, does the hacked MMX work ok?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
@crispy when reading your comments I do wonder if you played mmx at all.
races+classes combo being unique tuple stands of in the series. Combat is tactical as opposed to prebuffing and auto attack/cast spamming. With occasional loyd beacon and/or invis.
Whole areas can be locked to you if you dont include specific race in your rooster.

Yet you keep making those wild claims

Either you misremember mmx or rest of the series. Mind you that you keep making unfair comparrisons, like if mmx needs to beat in every asspect every other game in the series. Yet my claim is that in those areas indeed it does. As such it does reserve recognition, well at least mine. It did push series in right direction, alas it was doomed to fail even before the release

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
A race area cock block eh? Sounds like Phantasie 1 again in a way.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom