Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 7.9%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 183 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 215 28.8%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 130 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.3%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.8%

• Total voters

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Isles of Terra also had RPCs, something they cut in Xeen (I suspect purely for UI design reasons).

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I can't recall if different platforms playing Xeen are much different. A slight more challenge is Swords of Xeen.

index.php

Arcane

Might and Magic 1 with Xeen User Interface - March 2023

A progress update of my current work implementing a Xeen look and feel for the Might and Magic Book One game. With this update you can see some of the new title screen and party selection, along with the in-game view and several common locations like training and the taverns using the Xeen equivalents.

Luzur

Good Sir

A progress update of my current work implementing a Xeen look and feel for the Might and Magic Book One game. With this update you can see some of the new title screen and party selection, along with the in-game view and several common locations like training and the taverns using the Xeen equivalents.

looks cool, now add in the Xeen or MM3 textures to the main game aswell

Ysaye

Arbiter

looks cool, now add in the Xeen or MM3 textures to the main game aswell

I don't know, I am more nostalgic for that MacIntosh look (windowed with mouse buttons) implementing the Apple 2 textures, maybe recreated in Windows or for full prestige in Linux Unbuntu. Of course arguably a version for Apple Mac might also make historical sense.....

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
I am playing Might and Magic VI: Mandate of Heaven with a solo knight. Do you know how difficult that is? Dragging three corpses behind me?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I am playing Might and Magic VI: Mandate of Heaven with a solo knight. Do you know how difficult that is? Dragging three corpses behind me?
easier than solo mm8 - your dead corpses can carry things, like big coffin taking half of your inv space

Ryan muller

Educated
finished world of xeen, yeah, quite disappointing

Ive heard 6 is quite similar in gameplay so i should pass it by now and sometime i will probably delve into 1 and 2 instead

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron

Ive heard 6 is quite similar in gameplay so i should pass it by now and sometime i will probably delve into 1 and 2 instead
6 is not really all that similar to Xeen in gameplay. Yes it’s still a dungeon crawling blobber but the environments are in 3D allowing for some of the best and most memorable dungeons in the series, it has free roaming movement instead of grid-based and you can switch between real time and turn-based combat on the fly. It’s the pinnacle of M&M gameplay IMO.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
MM6 npcs

Arms Master+2 All Arms & Weapons
Weapons Master+3 All Weapons Skills

the difference is All Arms - what is that meaning? bows or what?

Ryan muller

Educated

6 is not really all that similar to Xeen in gameplay. Yes it’s still a dungeon crawling blobber but the environments are in 3D allowing for some of the best and most memorable dungeons in the series, it has free roaming movement instead of grid-based and you can switch between real time and turn-based combat on the fly. It’s the pinnacle of M&M gameplay IMO.
My problems with WoX standed for its terrible itemization (played half of the game with my stuff broken, didnt notice a difference)

The way physical attacks overshadowed spells (even with my equipment broken)

Lack of interesting encounters since most of the time theres only one enemy type for fight instead of a variety of formations

And how theres absolutely no challenge if you dont sequence break the game and explore places with extremely high level enemies. Specially when transitioning from cloud to darkside i was basically a god

If 6 fixed those and add better puzzles than "open the chests in order to form the word pitchfork" as well as a more balanced economy, then i would go for it

But seeing gameplays 2 seems like more of my cup of tea

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron

My problems with WoX standed for its terrible itemization (played half of the game with my stuff broken, didnt notice a difference)

The way physical attacks overshadowed spells (even with my equipment broken)

Lack of interesting encounters since most of the time theres only one enemy type for fight instead of a variety of formations

And how theres absolutely no challenge if you dont sequence break the game and explore places with extremely high level enemies. Specially when transitioning from cloud to darkside i was basically a god

If 6 fixed those and add better puzzles than "open the chests in order to form the word pitchfork" as well as a more balanced economy, then i would go for it

I think 6 is a challenging game if you don’t have meta knowledge from having played it beforehand. There are some decent puzzles as well. As far as the encounter design goes it’s still mostly trash mobs but the same is true of most games in the series.

6 lets you play in real time like you're a party of doomguys circlestrafing mobs of enemies, all armed with lightning shotguns. Really the separate engines of M&M games shouldn't even be compared, they are almost a whole genre apart.

grimer

Learned
As far as the encounter design goes it’s still mostly trash mobs but the same is true of most games in the series.
at least in 6 you're fighting hordes of enemies at once as opposed to 3 at a time in mm3-5

peak combat in the entire series. dynamic front/rear flanks, huge variety of enemies with different gimmicks (jugglers, crazed natives, etc), resource management bc of restricted saving at inns and random encounters, actually useful crowd control spells. it might even be more tactical than the early wizardry games if they didn't have permadeath

dungeon design is a mixed bag. there are a few with devious layouts like one with a gauntlet (one way doors into fixed encounters), one with teleporter spam, one with invisible walls but it wraps around, but also some really boring ones that are just hallways with rooms of enemies. vast majority of dungeons also lack puzzles which make them kinda dry especially the ones with boring layouts.

there's also a better balance between might and magic. might is not as strong as in 3-5 due to the lack of obsidian weapons and to find weapons of similar quality you'd have to farm the strongest enemies in the game. magic is more useful due to crowd control spells which are essential when fighting hordes of enemies but you're most likely going to be casting damaging spells like fireball from enchanted items to conserve sp. i'm not sure if you can get ambushed while resting in a dungeon bc i always cast guard dog before doing so.

anyway, if you're looking for something more challenging then you should really play 2. it's probably the hardest game in the entire series which isn't saying much but the difference between 2 and 3-5 is enormous.

Fearlessjay

Novice
6 is great. Nothing like Xeen. But it doesn't have tactical options and is a product of its time. I'm just sad there are no games like this been produced any more. It was quite simplistic even in it's time but the depth of its system made you feel like there was a lot more. Also had great music.

Fearlessjay

Novice
Looks good. Have to give it a try. Been playing the MM6/7/8 combined mod and that's great. Nice playing Acromage in MM6.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

I don't know why this forum fellates MM6 so much, that game scales so badly it is borderline unplayable after about the 40-50% mark. Classes are super limited and magic is pathetically weak. Enjoy sitting and casting 50 healing spells at a time every fight because magic is so worthless. The skill system is completely half-baked and was not tested enough. It's all fixed in MM7 but the dungeons aren't as big. Boo hoo.

I say play MM7, but if you play MM6 play it with Grayface's mod that adds MM7's skills and MM8's engine. Having Grandmaster skills and spells that actually scale up makes a huge difference. Then it's really fun.

MM1 is pretty primitive but MM2 is perfectly good too.

baba is you

Educated
I don't know why, but I think Might and Magic 1 the best.

Obviously, the system additions and improvements are most noticeable in Might and Magic 2, but I didn't like the fact that I had to know the U.S. Constitution to finish the game myself.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Happy Merchant detected..

OL0TWRO.png

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Might and Magic 11 when?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom