Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 7.9%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 183 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 215 28.8%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 130 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.3%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.8%

• Total voters

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Imagine a mega billionaire gamer who buys the MM, Wizardry, Ultima, Bardstale, and maybe a few other IPS. Could the fans do better?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Happy Merchant detected..

OL0TWRO.png

I love the art style in MM2.

Kedar

Educated
Good article:
The last Might & Magic game that Ubisoft developed and published was released in 2014 - Might & Magic X: Legacy - to mostly favorable reviews, though the community wasn't too thrilled about it. A major issue with Legacy was that it was a dungeon crawling game, rather than a fully-fledged turn-based strategy that fans had grown to love.

Mauman

Scholar
Good article:
The last Might & Magic game that Ubisoft developed and published was released in 2014 - Might & Magic X: Legacy - to mostly favorable reviews, though the community wasn't too thrilled about it. A major issue with Legacy was that it was a dungeon crawling game, rather than a fully-fledged turn-based strategy that fans had grown to love.

I've come to actively despise Heroes for this kind of shit.

Gaznak

Learned
Gentlemen, could you share your thoughts concerning the eternal philosophical question of M&M 3-5 - and yet, Robber or Ninja?

As for me I still can't grasp the benefits of having Ninja that are so praised everywhere. Maybe are there some hidden/undocumented properties this class has? I ask because I can't see any major Ninja advantages 'on paper', rather it seems to be reversed, and Robber seems to be more useful in more situations.

Last edited:
Robbers get +15 thievery, Ninjas get an attack every 5 levels rather than 6. Most of the time you don't care about thievery since if a trap hits you while opening something you just heal up, if it takes a few more tries then it doesn't matter. All that matters is that you be able to open things eventually. Ninja's APR is the 2nd best in the game after Barbarian and will output 20% more damage than Robber.

Meta-wise there's also no reason not to choose Dwarf for an inherent +10 thievery and temp level bonuses will also boost thievery so a Ninja will soon be running around with +20 thievery more than a baseline Robber anyway. Unless you want to do some sequence breaking stuff where you go to high level areas and unlock high level chests at level 1 there's no reason to need to stack more thievery from being a robber.

My standard party is Ninja + 2 cleric casters + 3 arcane casters, running all half casters in MM4/5 and mixing in some or all full casters for MM3 since you really need the mana more there.

Last edited:

Mauman

Scholar
Gentleman, could you share your thoughts concerning the eternal philosophical question of M&M 3-5 - and yet, Robber or Ninja?

As for me I still can't grasp the benefits of having Ninja that are so praised everywhere. Maybe are there some hidden/undocumented properties this class has? I ask because I can't see any major Ninja advantages 'on paper', rather it seems to be reversed, and Robber seems to be more useful in more situations.
It's about the long game.

Yes, at the early levels, a robber and a ninja aren't going to feel that much different (outside of a few more traps going off with the ninja and the robber being slightly more durable), but as both level up the gulf in combat ability becomes wider and wider.

Also, keep in mind that thievery can be upped by items. Nothing* outside of the class rate increases number of attacks. One per five levels for the Ninja (same rate as the knight!) and one per six for the robber. Oh, and while robbers get better armor than Ninja, the reverse is true for weapons (once again, increasing the gulf in combat ability).

*yes, yes, I know heroism exists. That doesn't do any counter arguments any favors as that simply increases the gap in the Ninja's favor.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
MM3-5 are easy enough where it doesn't really matter. Yeah, there are optimal choices, obviously. But you're not going to be punished if you just go with what sounds fun to you.

Equipment options barely matters in MM3-5, going from 1d8 to 1d12 or w/e or having +4 AC is completely irrelevant by the time you're 10% into the game and getting +10 weapons or buffing with +10 buffs (which can also be stronger from temp level bonuses so quickly +20). For this reason barbarian is essentially strictly superior to knight. The only counterargument is that there does exist some small chance that you get an obsidian weapon really early that a knight could use but a barbarian couldn't but that's a fairly temporary benefit if it happens at all.

MM3-5 are easy enough where it doesn't really matter. Yeah, there are optimal choices, obviously. But you're not going to be punished if you just go with what sounds fun to you.
Yeah this too. Plus at the very start of the game what it mostly comes down to is your starting stats and after that you'll be unstoppable if you've reconned well and hit the proper temp boost shrines for an area first. To make MM3-5 challenging you'd need to do something like an all barbarian run. On the flipside even 6 full casters can definitely output decent melee damage while buffed and your defense doesn't really go down with them.

Gaznak

Learned
I play M&M 3 now and I have a question about item properties.

1. There is a special item property LEATHER that gives -4 to Hit, -6 Damage, 0 AC.

2. With that, there is an armor piece LEATHER ARMOR thats gives +3 AC.

Everything seems more or less clear so far, an item property LEATHER is not the same 'leather' that is in LEATHER ARMOR. Well, OK.

3. With that, there are additional items like Gauntlets, Boots and Cloak (there are some more, maybe, but I met these 3 so far). These items can be LEATHER GAUNTLETS, LEATHER BOOTS and LEATHER CLOAK as well as, say, Glass Gauntlets (Boots, Cloak), Crystal Gauntlets (Boots, Cloak) and so on. So, thinking logically, this LEATHER should be like the item property LEATHER (see Clause 1). But when I check them with Identify option, there's None penalty in To Hit and Damage stats, and there's +1 AC bonus.

Well, someone can say "C'mon, dude, M&M 3 is such an easy game, no need to screw your brain with such a bullshit!" but I strangely enjoy the M&M 3 inventory fiddling, these little funny item icons and podgy jagged font tranquillize me, so I would want to solve this Leather Mystery.

Covenant

Savant
I play M&M 3 now and I have a question about item properties.

1. There is a special item property LEATHER that gives -4 to Hit, -6 Damage, 0 AC.

2. With that, there is an armor piece LEATHER ARMOR thats gives +3 AC.

Everything seems more or less clear so far, an item property LEATHER is not the same 'leather' that is in LEATHER ARMOR. Well, OK.

3. With that, there are additional items like Gauntlets, Boots and Cloak (there are some more, maybe, but I met these 3 so far). These items can be LEATHER GAUNTLETS, LEATHER BOOTS and LEATHER CLOAK as well as, say, Glass Gauntlets (Boots, Cloak), Crystal Gauntlets (Boots, Cloak) and so on. So, thinking logically, this LEATHER should be like the item property LEATHER (see Clause 1). But when I check them with Identify option, there's None penalty in To Hit and Damage stats, and there's +1 AC bonus.

Well, someone can say "C'mon, dude, M&M 3 is such an easy game, no need to screw your brain with such a bullshit!" but I strangely enjoy the M&M 3 inventory fiddling, these little funny item icons and podgy jagged font tranquillize me, so I would want to solve this Leather Mystery.

7la4l4.jpg

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Trying to run MM7 under Windows 11. GOG Launcher doesn't work at all. When running the .exe directly it takes several tries to get anything to happen. Then a small white rectangle appears, and disappears. Game doesn't load.

This persists in software and windowed mode.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
mm6-8 runs fine on my machine with win11, problem is likely on your end.

Also which exploit is so crucial to you that you dont want grayface

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
So the developpers balanced the game around non functioning spells and skills?

yes. QA only tested the game in its current state (as far as we know). For the same reason I no longer use Bones' MM6 patch that makes dual wielding actually work. Dual wielding is a game changer in MM7 and 8, I assume it's the same for MM6. And the game was never tested with functioning dual wielding. Granted, MM6 balance is totally borked with Dark Magic being available early on and everything, but it still feels unsatisfactory to faceroll the game because you used a community patch.

I dunno about that. If it doesn't work it should. Developers might've been forbidden to officially work on further patching for contract reasons. Like, from a higher-up POV, patching is time and effort wasted in a project that was already delivered as opposed to working on something that hasn't been delivered yet. The issue here is that fan mods often introduce things nobody really wanted, which is why I tend to stay away from mods that "balance" things and stick to others that do purely technical things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom