Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 7.9%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 183 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 215 28.8%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 130 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.3%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.8%

• Total voters

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
M&M2 Gates to another world

I want a clerics-sorcerers only party. But can I disarm chests without a robber/ninja?
Any available spell, item etc?
I know I cannot equip the Thief's pick. :-(

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I've never played MM7 using stealing before, is it borked or what? I'm an Expert with a burglar NPC, and I stil can't steal the lowliest crap from the very first shop in Harmondale. Is it based on level or something?

Mauman

Scholar

I want a clerics-sorcerers only party. But can I disarm chests without a robber/ninja?
As far as I'm aware there's no way to get thievery on a non-robber/ninja and no item/spell to replicate it.

You could eat the traps, but that's not something I'd recommend.

All said and done however, this is not MM6-8. There's enough anti-magic zones and enemies just flat out immune to spells that I could only describe such a playthrough as "ball busting hard"

edit - oh, and gems will be a serious issue. Unless you plan on using the absolute piss weak spells or just having half your characters act as fighter-wannabes or something most of the time :P

madrigal

Augur

You can get a weapon usable by Sorcerers that improves thievery skill and you can level it up. It is also easy enough to just tank the damage, if you bring magic herbs with you can make sure everyone is awake after combat and provided not everyone is knocked unconscious nobody will die. Unlike D&D It does not matter how much damage you take in a single hit if you are conscious you will not die.

Mauman

Scholar

You can get a weapon usable by Sorcerers that improves thievery skill and you can level it up. It is also easy enough to just tank the damage, if you bring magic herbs with you can make sure everyone is awake after combat and provided not everyone is knocked unconscious nobody will die. Unlike D&D It does not matter how much damage you take in a single hit if you are conscious you will not die.
Took me a moment to figure out what you were talking about.

Looter knife from the Ice cavern, right? I forgot about that one.

madrigal

Augur

Took me a moment to figure out what you were talking about.

Looter knife from the Ice cavern, right? I forgot about that one.
Yeah, there is also the Pirates Crossbow, but not suitable for Clerics and Sorcerers.

Dorateen

Arcane
Pirate's Crossbow
Thievery + 10
Accuracy +15
Damage 8
Gold value 3,000
Usable by Knights, Paladins, Archers, Robbers and Ninjas

Looter Knife
Thievery + 15
Damage 6
Gold value 400
Usable by Knights, Paladins, Archers, Sorcerers, Robbers and Ninjas, Barbarians

I happen to have Corak's Travelogue close at hand and wanted to share.

Quatlo

Arcane
Someone is working on multiplayer mod for MMMerge. Looks pretty amazing to be honest. From little posts on the forums it seems to work without any major troubles (I can stomach game crashing if I can just load without any trouble)

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Darth_Vader.png
Impressive. Most impressive.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I was thinking about multi-play mods for older games. Sure, my mind was thinking about solo like TES games, ultima underworlds, etc but party based would be cool. The epic battles or ass-kicking stompfest of party vs party in say bards tale, wizardry sagas, might & magic, magic candle, etc etc

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer

As far as I'm aware there's no way to get thievery on a non-robber/ninja and no item/spell to replicate it.

All said and done however, this is not MM6-8. There's enough anti-magic zones and enemies just flat out immune to spells that I could only describe such a playthrough as "ball busting hard"

edit - oh, and gems will be a serious issue. Unless you plan on using the absolute piss weak spells or just having half your characters act as fighter-wannabes or something most of the time :P
Bad news indeed.
What about a 3 paladin + 3 archers party? I will hire Phooey ninja for disarming.

Mauman

Scholar

Bad news indeed.
What about a 3 paladin + 3 archers party? I will hire Phooey ninja for disarming.
You wouldn't have access to level 8 and 9 spells. That too would be painful at times. I'd say less painful though

I suppose if you wanted most of your party to be spell casters but not do weird shenanigans to get thievery (yes, you can evidently, but it's still not an easy process to level it up and besides, having a robber helps with the class quests) you could do something like 3/2 archer/paladins (or the other way around), one cleric, one sorcerer, and one robber. Or 3/3 archer/paladins if you want to try your luck with the ice dagger for thievery. One of the lowest level and easiest hirelings to get is Ariel (a sorceress) in the volcano town. Big Bootay is a cleric who can easily be aquired in Atlantium by abusing fountains and skill potions. Though she's a bit higher in level (I want to say in the 20's).

That would probably work out pretty well.

Last edited:

madrigal

Augur

Bad news indeed.
6 Archers easiest party to play. They can shoot from any position, bows do more damage than a knights melee weapon. Have easy class promotion quest and get access to the best damaging sorcerer spells at level 7. Everyone can bail out and cast time distortion and fly to temple if combat is too difficult.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer

I want a clerics-sorcerers only party.
6 Archers easiest party to play. They can shoot from any position, bows do more damage than a knights melee weapon. Have easy class promotion quest and get access to the best damaging sorcerer spells at level 7. Everyone can bail out and cast time distortion and fly to temple if combat is too difficult.
Do I need melee weapons for the archers? Or will they use bows all time?
Can I use 1 paladin for healing? Or then I cannot bail out from fights because of him?

madrigal

Augur

I want a clerics-sorcerers only party.
Do I need melee weapons for the archers? Or will they use bows all time?
Can I use 1 paladin for healing? Or then I cannot bail out from fights because of him?
Bows are the number 1 option but if you have a better weapon you can use instead. If they have stat bonuses it makes sense to equip both even if you only use bow. You can rock any party you want, paladins don't restrict you, just archer/sorc have additional benefit of being able to cast time distortion. Never really found healers to be that useful apart from 1 optional fight, healing can be done by items, herbal patches are cheap to buy.

The thing is there is no negative hit points so if a monster can knock you out in one hit, using a herbal patch for a small heal or a stronger heal from a cleric makes no difference, some of the higher level cleric spells like moon ray or divine intervention can be useful but by the time you have reached that level you will probably have found divine or moon items you can use.

High level archers can also cast the duplicate spell, so you can share all the good items you find and not worry about running out of charges.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom