Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's that time of the year again, I'm itching for another playthru of MM6.
What's current year's favourite way of enjoying this Gem on a Windows 10 machine? Still Gog version + Greyface patch, or is it worth checking out that merger mod I heard about? Would the latter also require owning 7 and 8?

Replicante

Educated
so I'm playing WoX for the 1st time (gog version) and it works fine with a scaler and ddraw output so I can resize the window, but the game freezes every time I load a game while in game. So It works to an extent but I got to restart dosbox everytime I go for a reload. Has anyone here experienced such odd behaviour?
pd: actually it crashes when leaving a NPC interaction or shop. It works fine if I disable sound blaster emulation in DOsbox config, but I get no sound that way. Tehre must be another sound option that avoids crashes, but can't quite figure it out since I'm not familiar with dosbox or this period's sound setups
edit:resorted to installing SCUmVM modern emulator. It's pretty seamless and streamlined. Problem is savegames are not compatible so I have to restart. I had a nice level 12 party but oh well!

Last edited:

Replicante

Educated
I have to say it works wonderfully with ScumVM, frames are smooth and loading and saving itnerface is instant. Beyond happy I had that issue so I discovered this project. A blessing in disguise indeed. I put playing this one for so long but I'm having a blast with this carefully and lovely designed exploration and leveling. Can anyone give me some advice as to when to jump into Dark side so I don't make the game too easy overall? I'm about to venture into the Yak temple with lvl 10 chars atm, doing well with a Ba/Pa/Pa/Ni/Ar/Ar party, that hybrid playstyle with SP fountains is even better than my first party with the GoG Dosbox : D

Also, how strong are spells casted from items rather than actual spellcasters? My Barbarian using Wand of Daily protection casts such a spell with double the bonuses of my regultar paladin caster. Are spells from items casted at max level or what?

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I have to say it works wonderfully with ScumVM, frames are smooth and loading and saving itnerface is instant. Beyond happy I had that issue so I discovered this project. A blessing in disguise indeed. I put playing this one for so long but I'm having a blast with this carefully and lovely designed exploration and leveling. Can anyone give me some advice as to when to jump into Dark side so I don't make the game too easy overall? I'm about to venture into the Yak temple with lvl 10 chars atm, doing well with a Ba/Pa/Pa/Ni/Ar/Ar party, that hybrid playstyle with SP fountains is even better than my first party with the GoG Dosbox : D
Darkside is intended for a party that's already completed Clouds. You should be able to handle the starting area if you go there now.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Everything on Darkside gives you a ton more XP. Finishing Cloudside first will make early Darkside too easy but it'll equalize quickly. Doing even a little bit of Darkside first could trivialize the entirety of Cloudside. I recommend finishing all or most of Cloudside first, but if you start going to Darkside now and don't stay there too long (eg just doing Castleview) you should be fine.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
It has been so long on this one, I forget how I first hit Darkside. It wasn't Shangri-la was it? Bah!

Wait! If i recall, pyramid somethings. No, Dragon pharoah is on dark. W/e. Apparantly, I need to revisit these games.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
and they say the modern gamers can't handle old games... most of them who said that probably joined dark side of Rim Sky long ago

index.php

Arcane

Jun 8, 2023: Journey Now Into an Age of Chivalry in an Alternate Reality

A stalwart party exploring the unknown, seeking the fabled Inner Sanctum. But all is not what it seems in the world of Varn...

The ScummVM Team is pleased to announce full support for the PC version of the first game of the Might and Magic series: Might and Magic Book One: The Secret of the Inner Sanctum. Two modes are supported:
  • The original look and feel of the game (sound, which in the original consisted of merely the occasional beep, is not supported)
  • A ScummVM-exclusive enhanced mode, which uses the interface of the later Xeen games, including niceties such as better character screens, automapping, and sound effects. It also integrates the impressive "Might and Magic 1 Graphics Overhaul Mod", which provides better in-game map and monster graphics. The xeen.cc file is required from Might and Magic: IV or Might and Magic: World of Xeen.
Both modes allow saving your game anywhere outside of combat via the ScummVM Global Main Menu (unlike the original game that only saved a single roster when checking into an inn). So make sure you save regularly, just in case you encounter problems.

Help us test both game modes by grabbing a daily build and adding mm.dat to the same folder as your game files. Read through our testing guidelines, and please take some screenshots along the way.

Now, go forth, and discover the true secrets of the game that started the long running epic fantasy series!

Mauman

Learned

A stalwart party exploring the unknown, seeking the fabled Inner Sanctum. But all is not what it seems in the world of Varn...

The ScummVM Team is pleased to announce full support for the PC version of the first game of the Might and Magic series: Might and Magic Book One: The Secret of the Inner Sanctum. Two modes are supported:
  • The original look and feel of the game (sound, which in the original consisted of merely the occasional beep, is not supported)
  • A ScummVM-exclusive enhanced mode, which uses the interface of the later Xeen games, including niceties such as better character screens, automapping, and sound effects. It also integrates the impressive "Might and Magic 1 Graphics Overhaul Mod", which provides better in-game map and monster graphics. The xeen.cc file is required from Might and Magic: IV or Might and Magic: World of Xeen.
Both modes allow saving your game anywhere outside of combat via the ScummVM Global Main Menu (unlike the original game that only saved a single roster when checking into an inn). So make sure you save regularly, just in case you encounter problems.

Help us test both game modes by grabbing a daily build and adding mm.dat to the same folder as your game files. Read through our testing guidelines, and please take some screenshots along the way.

Now, go forth, and discover the true secrets of the game that started the long running epic fantasy series!

Now we need an MM2 port using the MM3 UI*.

*nothing wrong with MMXeen UI, it's just that it's not designed for 8 characters.

Alex

Arcane

That looks nice, to be honest. But can you use the better graphics without the map cheat?

Lt Broccoli

Educated
Just completed Might and Magic II. Whew...epic game! Overall quite a ride! Mapped it manually and not resorted to walkthroughs with the exception of exiting Dawn's cavern with the Element Orb and the weird timed cryptogram at the end with the American preamble reference (I'm not American) Finished MM1 back in 2020 - my preference still is with MM1. MM3 will be next at some point, but I think I need a break with the series for a year or so.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I'll tell ya, they felt completely different to me. Yeah, there is a lot of familiarity with classes/spells/skills/automap similar to 2/design of the map esp elementals (seemed to ne a theme starting with 2 as 1 seemed to be just surprise after surprise (still my favorite). Maybe I remember wrong but they seemed like cakewalks to me. I remember my second playthrough of 3-xeen to bank hoard gold and I think gems (can't be sure on the gems). By endgame, I had so much cash it was unreal. Quite a safe bank compared to Alternate Reality where the bank could crash and you lose everything.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Just completed Might and Magic II. Whew...epic game! Overall quite a ride! Mapped it manually and not resorted to walkthroughs with the exception of exiting Dawn's cavern with the Element Orb and the weird timed cryptogram at the end with the American preamble reference (I'm not American) Finished MM1 back in 2020 - my preference still is with MM1. MM3 will be next at some point, but I think I need a break with the series for a year or so.
How many Doomsday Boxes did you find?
And what was the highest + you found on an item?
(Yes, I like the itemization in MM2)

Lt Broccoli

Educated
How many Doomsday Boxes did you find?
And what was the highest + you found on an item?
(Yes, I like the itemization in MM2)
Well, I found nil Doomsday boxes. I believe the most prestigious was a Platinum box once. A few Gold boxes. Highest plus? mmm...not counting the +15 Dagger fixed item you find in the Ice Caverns, that would be a +12 Cudgel. My characters reached L22, though I probably had enough XP to get to L24 or so (but didn't bother as I didn't have much gold to pay for my Hirelings and they demand more money as you gain levels and that the random enemies you fought just keep getting stronger and more deadly). Lost all my gold a few times. Ha! I remember hiring Mr. Wizard, and after resting a dozen times or so I went broke and had to dismiss him. I have to admit, I loved the sheer volume of items you could find and exploring how they worked. Also this in tandem with the duplication and enchant item spells provided a lot of variations.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Is there a list of the treasure container types in progression for MM1-2? I have to go back and grind and record these as I can't hack into the code to see. I've never seen a posted list.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Well, I found nil Doomsday boxes. I believe the most prestigious was a Platinum box once. A few Gold boxes. Highest plus? mmm...not counting the +15 Dagger fixed item you find in the Ice Caverns, that would be a +12 Cudgel.
No Doomsday Boxes? Did you not fight any of the boss battles, like The Cat from Hell, the Cuisinarts and the Reptoid and his saurian army? I found four myself, and the best items were a Battle Axe +29 and a Large Shield +31. I think the pluses go up to 32 in the Dos Version, but even higher in some others.

My characters reached L22, though I probably had enough XP to get to L24 or so (but didn't bother as I didn't have much gold to pay for my Hirelings and they demand more money as you gain levels and that the random enemies you fought just keep getting stronger and more deadly).

Only level 24? When I last played (admittedly very thorough), my guys were lvl 48 at the end, before spending the 50 million XP on training.

Twizman

Scholar

Amazing!

Lt Broccoli

Educated
Well, I found nil Doomsday boxes. I believe the most prestigious was a Platinum box once. A few Gold boxes. Highest plus? mmm...not counting the +15 Dagger fixed item you find in the Ice Caverns, that would be a +12 Cudgel.
No Doomsday Boxes? Did you not fight any of the boss battles, like The Cat from Hell, the Cuisinarts and the Reptoid and his saurian army? I found four myself, and the best items were a Battle Axe +29 and a Large Shield +31. I think the pluses go up to 32 in the Dos Version, but even higher in some others.

My characters reached L22, though I probably had enough XP to get to L24 or so (but didn't bother as I didn't have much gold to pay for my Hirelings and they demand more money as you gain levels and that the random enemies you fought just keep getting stronger and more deadly).

Only level 24? When I last played (admittedly very thorough), my guys were lvl 48 at the end, before spending the 50 million XP on training.
Ha! I suppose I took a lean approach to the game. The Cuisinart's and Reptoid (and co) I encountered but were too tough for my party with the level I was at. The party was mostly good aligned so I used Bribe and Hide where possible. Oh, I didn't end defeating the ancient (or for that matter Mega) Dragons nor the elemental lords. Perhaps on a second approach I'll go more monty hall style.

On a different note, I'm tempted to try a party in MM1/MM2 that has no magic classes (ie. just Knight/Thief/Barbarian/Ninja) and rely on items where magic is necessary. I'm pretty sure Jon Van Canegham anticipated that possibility (ie. items like the Fire Disc can cast Fire Transmutation, etc...needed to finish the plot)

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I didn't end defeating the ancient (or for that matter Mega) Dragons nor the elemental lords. Perhaps on a second approach I'll go more monty hall style.

I found out that the Mega Dragon was probably doable, but the time and patience required to make more than just a dent in the all but invincible dragon made it not worth it.
On a different note, I'm tempted to try a party in MM1/MM2 that has no magic classes (ie. just Knight/Thief/Barbarian/Ninja) and rely on items where magic is necessary. I'm pretty sure Jon Van Canegham anticipated that possibility (ie. items like the Fire Disc can cast Fire Transmutation, etc...needed to finish the plot)
Probably doable.
You can get blessings from the temple, and magic items to cast most spells. But the item management will be more of a chore if you need items for spells.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom