Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The NON-Steam Bargain Sale Mega Thread of Savings

Angthoron

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
Thief Collection's a bit cheaper on Amazon, good heads-up though; never actually thought to look for it anywhere.

Not sure if Amazon has free deliveries on all purchases within EU though, which's one of the nice sides of play.com.

Elzair

Cipher
I hear Abandonia and the Pirate Bay are having a sale too. At their prices, it's practically a steal!

Zeus

Cipher
Activision RPGs 30% off at GOG this weekend:

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
Betrayal at Krondor Pack
Return to Krondor
Vampire The Masquerade - Redemption

I'm tempted to get the Betrayal at Krondor pack. $4 isn't much for two games.

http://www.gog.com/en/promo/activision_rpgs

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Capcom sale on GG with 50% off of Dead Rising 2, Devil May Cry 4, Street Fight 4, Resident Evil 5, etc.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Gragt said:
How's Return to Krondor by the way?
Hard to say. If you're expecting a sequel to BAK, run away now. If you don't mind a much more linear experience with far less exploration, a much more "traditional" story (with vampires and stuff!) and little to no character cutomization, it has some good ideas, including the alchemy and spell systems (quick casting vs slow casting). Combat is still turn-based but not as fun or challenging as BAK. Overall it's pretty disappointing, but if GOG still have the BAK+RTK+BIA sale then go for it.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Splinter Cell sale on GG. 60% off from all the titles. It's not Thief but if you want some decent stealth gameplay with a blockbuster feel, you could do worse.

Bruticis

Gragt said:
Splinter Cell sale on GG. 60% off from all the titles. It's not Thief but if you want some decent stealth gameplay with a blockbuster feel, you could do worse.
Any issues with the these on Win 7 x64?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
None that I know of. I heard that people had trouble with the retail version of Chaos Theory on x64 OS because its old version of Starforce wasn't compatible with it — newer versions work fine on a x64 OS but many old games didn't receive an update. The versions sold on GG use TAGES, which has both x86 and x64 versions.

Actually I wonder why I can see the whole serie on sale on GG and Steam but none of them carries the second game, Pandora Tomorrow. It's easy to find on the net, and anyway I got the game as a bundle with an older card, but it's puzzling to not see it available in online stores while the other titles are.

Edit: after doing some search, it appears that Pandora Tomorrow has a lighting bug on modern systems that isn't easy to fix. This may explain that.

Re-edit: actually this prompted me to reinstall Pandora Tomorrow and the whole thing is perfectly playable (or at least the first level is). I only experienced one instance of flickering with water when viewed under a certain angle (which may or may not have been there on hardware of the time) and the rest was fine. Dunno if I'm just lucky or there is something I missed.

Zeus

Cipher
Space Rangers 2 Complete is on sale for $7.49 over at Impulse.

It's the original Space Rangers 2 plus the Reboot expansion pack.

http://www.impulsedriven.com/sr2c

If you're going to buy SR2 it might as well be through Impulse, as the retail box contained nasty optical drive ruining DRM.

Zeus

Cipher
It doesn't look like GOG has the Reboot expansion pack. They have the original Space Rangers, but not Reboot. Otherwise, I'd be all for buying GOG over Impulse.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Big sale on GG again. Deux Ex and Invisible War have a 75% reduction and no Steam for this week-end. Various (crappy) alien and WWII related games also got a discount, including the 2000 version of Aliens vs Predator or Death to Spies. Not much good stuff but worth a look, and if you do not own DX yet, here is your chance to become a better person.

Zeus

Cipher
Gamers Gate is cool, but now they have this forced DRM installer thing -- like Impulse. I don't think you get to just download the raw setup files and burn them to a DVD anymore, which is kind of sad. I *think* Direct2Drive still lets you download DRM free games as .exes, or at least they did back when I bought X-Com.

Precursors - $14.98 @ GamersGate

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-PREC/precursors

It's that crazy open world-y space sim-y FPS landing part-y game everyone was talking about a while back. I think some guys were working on an unofficial translation to make it MOAR BETTER.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
I did not check it lately, but I remember that some games could be installed without the GG executable and some still needed it and a short internet login. Then again I didn't check it in details since I do not need to burn stuff.

Secretninja

Cipher
Bad Company 2 is 7.98 at gg. Definitely worth that if you don't have it already, the multiplayer is top notch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom