Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Official Origin of the term "blobber"

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Hey there, long time no see. Have you missed me? No?
Anyway... wondering if people could help me out.

The term "blobber" is in pretty common use now, and I was possibly one of the earlier users. I think once or twice I've even been accused (incorrectly!) of being the originator of the term. I've seen it misused many times, and its origin bullshitted about.

Basically, I'd like to be able to get to the bottom of its origin. [Edit: that is, when it was first used, NOT what it means]

I know in the earlier days of the Codex I used to use the term "blob with arms and legs", and some people started using that term. At some point people started shortening that to the (much better) "blobber" instead.

The earliest example of something like "blob with arms and legs" I could find is my post here [Mar 29, 2005]:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/minions-of-mirth-updates.6815/#post-110810

However, in that I say "Denegrators of this mode of gameplay refer to it as "a blob with multiple arms and legs" (I stole that off someone in this forum, can't remember who)".
So, even that is someone else's baby, and I just started using the fuck out of it popularising it.

The earliest example I can find of "blobber" is this post here from Zomg [Feb 18, 2008]:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/recommend-me-a-wizardry-ripoff.22919/

So, can anyone find the earlier example of "blob with arms and legs" I referred to way back then? Or an earlier usage of "blobber"?

I've used the site search and Google custom search (on this domain only), and I admit that my search-fu may be substandard.
Possibly someone could do better than me.
Possibly someone Very Important could query the DB? (I'm pretty certain I have a backup somewhere, but locating it would be a massive undertaking. I've moved house once too often).

Anyway, cheers. :love:

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
"Denegrators of this mode of gameplay refer to it as "a blob with multiple arms and legs"

This is the view I was initially familiar with, as the first time I encountered the term was among the cretins on bioware's forums. It is comparable to another reference of contempt: "six-headed monster".

Now I've come to accept the usage of blobber in this place as shorthand for the prestigious design of computer role-playing games, since it is easier to say "blobber" than "first-person party-based dungeon crawler".

But I still prefer to treat these games as foundational titles of the genre, which they are. There is no need to single them out for distinction, when it is the isometrics and others that came afterward.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Hey there, long time no see. Have you missed me? No?
Anyway... wondering if people could help me out.

The term "blobber" is in pretty common use now, and I was possibly one of the earlier users. I think once or twice I've even been accused (incorrectly!) of being the originator of the term. I've seen it misused many times, and its origin bullshitted about.

Basically, I'd like to be able to get to the bottom of its origin. [Edit: that is, when it was first used, NOT what it means]

I know in the earlier days of the Codex I used to use the term "blob with arms and legs", and some people started using that term. At some point people started shortening that to the (much better) "blobber" instead.

The earliest example of something like "blob with arms and legs" I could find is my post here [Mar 29, 2005]:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/minions-of-mirth-updates.6815/#post-110810

However, in that I say "Denegrators of this mode of gameplay refer to it as "a blob with multiple arms and legs" (I stole that off someone in this forum, can't remember who)".
So, even that is someone else's baby, and I just started using the fuck out of it popularising it.

The earliest example I can find of "blobber" is this post here from Zomg [Feb 18, 2008]:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/recommend-me-a-wizardry-ripoff.22919/

So, can anyone find the earlier example of "blob with arms and legs" I referred to way back then? Or an earlier usage of "blobber"?

I've used the site search and Google custom search (on this domain only), and I admit that my search-fu may be substandard.
Possibly someone could do better than me.
Possibly someone Very Important could query the DB? (I'm pretty certain I have a backup somewhere, but locating it would be a massive undertaking. I've moved house once too often).

Anyway, cheers. :love:

I am guilty of incorrectly crediting you as being the originator of the term. My apologies.

I agree it has been misused. Since my internet search skills were never good I am unable to help you. But I would be interested in you stating for the record, without starting a debate or discussion regarding it, how you define a blobber. Lacking that, just answer these questions - is a blobber a game where your party moves around in first person as an unseen blob? If the perspective switches during combat like in Gold Box games or the RoA trilogy, is the game still a blobber? Is LoX a blobber (a game where you have a visual representation of your character outside of combat, and switches to first person view during combat, like most jrpgs or at least older jrpgs and some older crpgs)?

Roqua

Prospernaut
YES! Roqua is back.

I'm not back. I just have a dog in this hunt since I like reason and logic and dislike the ultra-subjective retardivism of terms and definitions by monkey-people. Its almost impossible to communicate effectively with the stupids even when you agree on common terms and definitions; without that agreement on what something is, there is absolutely no possibility.

Also, people should be a lot more excited to see Shagnak back as he was a far more valuable, effective, and nicer member of this once prestigious community, even if his taste in games is merely decent instead of impeccable like mine is. But thank you for your comment. I salute you, good sir!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So, can anyone find the earlier example of "blob with arms and legs" I referred to way back then?
A few days before you
Llyranor said:
I recall Wizardry VIII having very fun tactical party-based combat. A bit-slow paced, but the battle system is one of my favorites regardless.

Wiz 7 is one of those "Your party is a big blob with multiple arms" style combats though. They really give me the shits, I like being able to individually move characters, so you can flank, put the fighters in place to intercept stuff going for the wizards etc.

And I totally second both Icewind Dale 2 (IWD 2) and Temple of Elemental Evil (ToEE) as very good Fantasy Tactical combat simulators. Both should still be available in software stores with a little bit of looking, for very cheap prices. In Australia I have seen IWD2 bundled with IWD + all the IWD expansions for not very much

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hahahaha that is a nice discussion. I remember as a kid how i though of playing as a big blob with 8-12 legs,hand and 4-6 heads in blobber games. It was because i was used to play FPS games like quake,duke etc. It really felt strange playing it for a first time.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Hey there Roqua!

...is a blobber a game where your party moves around in first person as an unseen blob?

That's basically how I'd define it, like In any Wizardry, M&M, Wizards & Warriors, etc. Strictly speaking, games where you are in that mode most of the time, and there is more than one entity in the "blob".

If the perspective switches during combat like in Gold Box games or the RoA trilogy, is the game still a blobber?

Good question. I didn't really have those in mind when I used the term. Maybe at best they're "semi-blobbers"? (depending on the amound time spent as a first person "blob".) "Pseudo-blobbers"? :P
Even that sort of label would require significant first-person "blob" time to me. The eary Ultimas were first person when you were exploring a dungeon. That was the exception, so I would say "not a blobber" in that particular case.

Is LoX a blobber (a game where you have a visual representation of your character outside of combat, and switches to first person view during combat, like most jrpgs or at least older jrpgs and some older crpgs)?

If you don't spend time moving around in first person as a blob, I don't think they qualify as what we usually call a "blobber". Yes, even though when moving around you are a "blob" that you are seeing as a single character graphic.

====

There are also games like Vaporum, where it plays exactly like a blobber (I think - I haven't actually played it), but there is actually only one character. Theoretically it's not a "true" blobber then, by my definition above. Another type of "pseudo-blobber"?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Also, people should be a lot more excited to see Shagnak back as he was a far more valuable, effective, and nicer member of this once prestigious community, even if his taste in games is merely decent instead of impeccable like mine is. But thank you for your comment. I salute you, good sir!
I do hope that you decide to come back mate,i do miss your not nice comments. You certainly do bring a character to a discussion mate.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Hey there Roqua!

...is a blobber a game where your party moves around in first person as an unseen blob?

That's basically how I'd define it, like In any Wizardry, M&M, Wizards & Warriors, etc. Strictly speaking, games where you are in that mode most of the time, and there is more than one entity in the "blob".

If the perspective switches during combat like in Gold Box games or the RoA trilogy, is the game still a blobber?

Good question. I didn't really have those in mind when I used the term. Maybe at best they're "semi-blobbers"? (depending on the amound time spent as a first person "blob".) "Pseudo-blobbers"? :P
Even that sort of label would require significant first-person "blob" time to me. The eary Ultimas were first person when you were exploring a dungeon. That was the exception, so I would say "not a blobber" in that particular case.

Is LoX a blobber (a game where you have a visual representation of your character outside of combat, and switches to first person view during combat, like most jrpgs or at least older jrpgs and some older crpgs)?

If you don't spend time moving around in first person as a blob, I don't think they qualify as what we usually call a "blobber". Yes, even though when moving around you are a "blob" that you are seeing as a single character graphic.

====

There are also games like Vaporum, where it plays exactly like a blobber (I think - I haven't actually played it), but there is actually only one character. Theoretically it's not a "true" blobber then, by my definition above. Another type of "pseudo-blobber"?

Hello Shagnak,

Thank you for the response. Sorry I can't be more help in finding the information you are looking for.

Roqua

Prospernaut
A few days before you

Ah, cool, thanks. Possibly that's where I nicked it from.

But you are looking for the person that took the leap from Talorc and your statements as describing the party as a blob, and calling that general type of gameplay a blobber, correct? Not to take away from anyone's contribution leading up to that leap, but I know even on RPGdot people used blob as a descriptor.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Shagnak - since your country barely has any people and there is a decent chance you may see the Flight of the Concords guys while moseying around - tell them their show was fucking awesome for me please.

And thank you for what I am assuming is now the definitive answer to the original question, Roguey.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Anyway it certainly seems as though Zomg deserves the credit for transforming it into blobber.
Excellent!

Zomg shall henceforth be known as LORD OF THE BLOB.
I will be his faithful sidekick... Duke of the Blob? Nay, FIRST KNIGHT OF THE ORDER OF THE BLOB.

And Roguey, for your role in hunting out the originator you shall henceforth be known as BLOBSMELLER PURSUIVANT.

Our good work is done!

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Shagnak - since your country barely has any people and there is a decent chance you may see the Flight of the Concords guys while moseying around - tell them their show was fucking awesome for me please..

I will :salute:

They are very funny chaps. There's a new show called "Wellington Paranormal" that Jemaine Clement (one half of the Concordes) and Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok director) are involved with. If you like their style of Kiwi humour, you might like that.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Shagnak - since your country barely has any people and there is a decent chance you may see the Flight of the Concords guys while moseying around - tell them their show was fucking awesome for me please..

I will :salute:

They are very funny chaps. There's a new show called "Wellington Paranormal" that Jemaine Clement (one half of the Concordes) and Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok director) are involved with. If you like their style of Kiwi humour, you might like that.

They are hilarious. But the embassy guy/band manager was easily as good as the two members, so Jemaine Clement would be 1/3rd by my reasoning. There was also that Eagle Shark movie, the vampire documentary, and pretty much anything they've been involved in being worth watching.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It is comparable to another reference of contempt: "six-headed monster".
A Wizardry party fighting against amazonian tribeswomen, illustrated.
ZxHHKaA.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom