Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout The original Fallout is the Mortal Kombat of CRPGs

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
kek

Combat in Fallout 4:
-crouch to enable stealth
-spot enemy
-pop out of the cover
-press V for Vats
-Aim head

Rinse and repeat. Truly, such a wondrous improvement over previous installments of the game! Very tactical, much choice

No one said Fallout 4 is more tactical. No Fallout game was ever tactical, apart from Fallout Tactics (and that is why it tanked commercially, it introduced tactics into an easy mode game and people didn't like it).

The "improvement" in Fallout 4 is that you don't have to spend 50 minutes per fight just because a couple of children run around throwing rocks during their turns while you fight some assholes nearby. The improvement is that by the time you end a 10 person fight in Fallout 1, you have eliminated 3-4 enemy settlements in Fallout 4, and it was more enjoyable to do so, with better graphics and action.

Saduj

Arcane
Talks about an all time great RPG in terms of combat only.

:nocountryforshitposters:

:0/5:

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Talks about an all time great RPG in terms of combat only.

:nocountryforshitposters:

:0/5:

What else is there except combat? Oh, you mean a couple of noncombat actions you can do in the whole game? A few dialogue choices and stuff? Fallout 4 has a bazillion more of those, you just don't see it because you don't give it a chance. Everything the originals have, Fallout 4 has more of. Embrace the Fallout 4. Embrace the pinnacle of CRPG design.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I don't know what you wrote there, but I saw it as:

"The improvement is that by the time you have sex with the real woman, I jerked of 3-4 times, and it was more enjoyable to do so, with better graphics and action."

There is something clearly wrong with your perception then... The real analogy is:

Fallout 4: Normal sex with a woman
Original Fallout: Take a turn to unzip pants, next turn put condom, next turn spread her legs, next turn thrust your penis inside her vagina, next turn pull it back a little, next turn push again, ad nauseum until a few hundrend turns later you ejaculate. All the while the game calculates every single movement in the neighborhood between each turn.

The reason for this analogy is that the "turn based analysis" of the situation adds no detail in comparison to the real time action combat of Fallout 4. You are doing the exact same things you are doing in the original Fallout, and taking the exact same decisions. It is just in real time and natural, instead of sperging it with dice rolls to pretend you are smart.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I grew up like many of you with the original Fallout games being some of my first PC gaming experiences. Obviously i enjoyed them back then. But having tried to replay them many years later, i realised something: They are not that great. I mean, given the time period, they were very good for those standards, but a close examination can reveal not only many flaws, but it can also reveal that Fallout design was nothing special (no pun intended) and the main reasons for their success and fandom lies elsewhere. I realised that Fallout is the Mortal Kombat of RPGs.

What does that mean? Mortal Kombat was generally a bad fighting game. Street Fighter II and other games like the Neo Geo fighters were much, much superior to Mortal Kombat in terms of gameplay quality. The only thing going for it was the "real life graphics" based on real actors, and the violence and blood. And yet, those very things made it top the sales charts. People prefered Mortal Kombat because it featured real actor ninjas, hot chicks in swimsuits, and tons of blood and fatalities and gore. The TV outrage about "protect our children" helped a lot with popularity too. Mortal Kombat was cheesy, but in a good way. Though other fighters were simply put better video games, the masses floked to Mortal Kombat because the gory combat was more fun. Kids and teenagers especially loved it more, because it was more "mature" in setting than the "kiddie" street fighter ii.... Thus Mortal Kombat was solidified as the most famous fighting game series, even though it wasn't that good.

I think the same effect happened with the original Fallouts. What really drew me in was the violence in Fallout, the gore, the ability to target specific parts (which was basically the only strategy involved, aside from who target to shoot first and with what gun/mode). The mature post apocalyptic setting that was different from all those kiddie fantasy games. It also helped that Fallout in general was pretty easy and straightforward. A very simple character system, with a very simple combat system. Just point and shoot. There is no depth and nothing to learn. You just create any character, ensure it has decent small guns stat, and that's about it. All else is a decent armor and the game goes from there. Very simple and straightforward to play. You just enjoyed the carnage and mayhem in a post apocalyptic setting. That was the novelty.

I think that is what most people don't want to admit. The original Fallouts are being held up to a pedestal they don't deserve, simply because of nostalgia. They weren't tactical games, they weren't hard games, they didn't have much choice, they were short, they were buggy, their character systems were extremely flawed (most skills were barely useful), and the production values weren't that great. People loved them though for the setting, the maturity, and gore. People were drawn to a post apocalyptic america. It was cheesy fun. That is what made us love those games.

Bethesda Fallouts brought these elements to our age, by using a modern engine with more freedom involved. Fallout 4 is a much better game than the original Fallouts. I know you don't want to accept this truth, but it is still the truth. Everything good about Fallouts 1 and 2 is in Fallout 4, but the engine is modern and the gameplay much more advanced. It is time to leave the past to the past and stop trying to hold RPGs back in the mid 90s just because you are too old to appreciate and immerse yourself to the modern games.

So many quality posters MIA and we get this retard back?

Truly there is no justice in the world.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
1. "Reconnaisance? Oh you mean panning the screen a little to see if there are enemies out there? You can do the same in Fallout 4 with scopes and binoculars

Yeah, knowing where enemies are makes a difference. Enemies can very well swarm you in Fallout if you are not careful, whereas in Fallout 4 triggering a single enemy triggers the whole building.

In the original Fallouts, if you have power armor, you are essentially "God".

I don't see the problem.

3. Who cares about ammo variants? Fallout 4 has the best weapons modding system.

You mean one of the most useless systems ever devised? Don't fool yourself. Weapon modding in Fallout 4 is just marketing speak for "wow cool gun". Meanwhile in Fallout and Fallout: New Vegas, ammo selection made a difference in how you dealt with enemies.
What is the "tactical" aspect of Fallout 4, exactly, seeing as you praise it over Fallout?

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Don't give him retarded ratings, he wants it! Let's ruin his masterplan to become the ultimate retard

I am not farming retarded ratings. I mean, obviously i will get them, but that is a side-effect of truth-telling in an era(and website) of lies and deceit. The cake is a lie, the emperor has no clothes, Fallout is flawed, archaic, obsolete, and mediocre by modern standards.
Ontopoly, look. This is what you sound like when you talk about your personal crusade against the Larian shills.
I don't know what he's talking about but if he's doing it in the name of passion and love for something then more power to him. It's important to speak up about something when you feel the passion. And some codex cunts shouldn't stop you from that just because they give you discouraging ratings.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Yeah, knowing where enemies are makes a difference. Enemies can very well swarm you in Fallout if you are not careful, whereas in Fallout 4 triggering a single enemy triggers the whole building.

I don't see the problem.

You mean one of the most useless systems ever devised? Don't fool yourself. Weapon modding in Fallout 4 is just marketing speak for "wow cool gun". Meanwhile in Fallout and Fallout: New Vegas, ammo selection made a difference in how you dealt with enemies.
What is the "tactical" aspect of Fallout 4, exactly, seeing as you praise it over Fallout?

1. In Fallout 4 you don't trigger the whole building. There is a maximum distance that enemies can be notified. Why keep posting fake news about Fallout 4 and the originals? Have you actually played those games, or you just watched videos on youtube?

2. you don't see a problem that you can get armors that turn the game into godmode? Yet you claim those games are "tactical"? You realise this is an oxymoron, right? You don't even have to get a power armor, even getting a metal or combat armor can make you much, much tougher to kill. In essence, your power curve has more to do with the armor item you put into 1 slot, than any decision you make into your character building. This is your "tactical" SUPERIOR RRRRRRPEEEEEEGEEEE? Give me a break....

3. The weapon modding system in Fallout 4 is one of its selling points. You can craft many, many types and subtypes of weapons, much more than the originals ever had, and they feel different while using them too. Even the basic "pipe gun" can be modded into perhaps 20 different types of weapons, depending on your style. Ammo is just "give a small buff/debuff" and is far more limited.

4. Fallout 4 is not a tactical game. It is a roleplaying game. Exactly like Fallout 1 and 2. That is why there are no tactics involved. You just point and shoot, and the only choices you make is who to shoot and where to aim. And what to wear. It is just that you hypocrites put the original Fallouts into a pedestal and refuse to accept the fact that Fallout 1 and 2 are not "deep tactical games".

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Don't give him retarded ratings, he wants it! Let's ruin his masterplan to become the ultimate retard

I am not farming retarded ratings. I mean, obviously i will get them, but that is a side-effect of truth-telling in an era(and website) of lies and deceit. The cake is a lie, the emperor has no clothes, Fallout is flawed, archaic, obsolete, and mediocre by modern standards.
Ontopoly, look. This is what you sound like when you talk about your personal crusade against the Larian shills.
I don't know what he's talking about but if he's doing it in the name of passion and love for something then more power to him. It's important to speak up about something when you feel the passion. And some codex cunts shouldn't stop you from that just because they give you discouraging ratings.
Wait. Never mind. He's an idiot. Games don't become outdated. That's ridiculous. Graphics become outdated but games are just numbers and numbers are eternal and always work the same. If a game was ever worth playing it's always worth playing. Just because it's not shiny doesn't change anything except the fact that it's not shiny. Old people were completely capable of writing, designing, making rpg and character systems. Fallout is a great game. Anyone who judges an old game's worth based on how it looks is a criminal in the eyes of the industry and gaming.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Wait. Never mind. He's an idiot. Games don't become outdated. That's ridiculous. Graphics become outdated but games are just numbers and numbers are eternal and always work the same. If a game was ever worth playing it's always worth playing. Just because it's not shiny doesn't change anything except the fact that it's not shiny. Old people were completely capable of writing, designing, making rpg and character systems. Fallout is a great game. Anyone who judges an old game's worth based on how it looks is a criminal in the eyes of the industry and gaming.

Dude, are you on drugs? Of course games become outdated. It is not just about the graphics, although graphics are VERY important for role playing games (that is why you hypocrites put late 90s (and onwards) games unto a pedestal and not the original early 80s Ultima games...). Game design gets outdated as well. New ideas and more powerful hardware make better games, thus the older games become inferior to play, not just graphically, but in gameplay as well. That is the reality.

In other words, Fallout of 1997 is exactly the same game that it was in 1997. BUT, in 2020 there have been many better games on the market, thus it is obsolete to play. If you have 100 hours to spend on a game, it is better to spend them playing Fallout 4, than playing Fallout 1.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
1. In Fallout 4 you don't trigger the whole building. There is a maximum distance that enemies can be notified. Why keep posting fake news about Fallout 4 and the originals? Have you actually played those games, or you just watched videos on youtube?

I don't play shit, so I haven't played Fallout 4. But I have seen many people who do play Fallout 4 make this criticism about the game's enemies, turning dungeons into shooting galleries.

2. you don't see a problem that you can get armors that turn the game into godmode?
  1. Power Armor is only God mode against normal, low-level enemies.
  2. Because this is a cRPG, even having the best armor of the game doesn't stop Super Mutants being able to one-shot you if they land a critical hit on you. Which, since they are often found in packs, becomes easier and easier as you near the end of the game.

The weapon modding system in Fallout 4 is one of its selling points. You can craft many, many types and subtypes of weapons, much more than the originals ever had, and they feel different while using them too.

All feedback I see on the weapon modding system points otherwise, with many people claiming all guns feel samey.
Meanwhile, ammo variantions are the difference between your bullets bouncing off Deathclaws and being able to kill the suckers.

Fallout 4 is not a tactical game. It is a roleplaying game. Exactly like Fallout 1 and 2. That is why there are no tactics involved.

Well at least you acknowledge Fallout 4 has no tactics. Meanwhile I continue to see people struggling with Fallout 1's cave rats, but I'm guessing if you say there's no tactics involved they must have gotten a defective copy of the game because there's no explanation as to how Codexers can easily sweep the cave and others continue to die on them.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I don't play shit, so I haven't played Fallout 4. But I have seen many people who do play Fallout 4 make this criticism about the game's enemies, turning dungeons into shooting galleries.

1. Power Armor is only God mode against normal, low-level enemies.
  2. Because this is a cRPG, even having the best armor of the game doesn't stop Super Mutants being able to one-shot you if they land a critical hit on you. Which, since they are often found in packs, becomes easier and easier as you near the end of the game.

All feedback I see on the weapon modding system points otherwise, with many people claiming all guns feel samey.
Meanwhile, ammo variantions are the difference between your bullets bouncing off Deathclaws and being able to kill the suckers.

Well at least you acknowledge Fallout 4 has no tactics. Meanwhile I continue to see people struggling with Fallout 1's cave rats, but I'm guessing if you say there's no tactics involved they must have gotten a defective copy of the game because there's no explanation as to how Codexers can easily sweep the cave and others continue to die on them.

WHAT THE FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You admit you haven't played Fallout 4, you SPERG, yet you criticize and compare it based on "other people's opinions"? I am done. I am done with you. And sheeple on this forum have the AUDACITY to call me "retard" and "troll", while you spergs comment on games you haven't played.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
...you don't see a problem that you can get armors that turn the game into godmode?
The PA suits were top tier military weaponry; human tanks. The majority of enemies are thugs with light guns & melee weapons.

The PA makes the player character a physical match for a super mutant.

Fallout 4 is not a tactical game. It is a roleplaying game. Exactly like Fallout 1 and 2.
lol

Bethesda cannot make an RPG (by policy). RPGs evaluate (the PC) for when to refuse actions; IE. when to say, 'no'.
Bethesda will not intentionally refuse, or surprise the player. Their "Player Characters" are more akin to digital costumes, than as world inhabitants with personal strengths, goals, a past, and (most importantly) their weaknesses. With them, the PC is a vestigial necessity of RPGs that they are keen to get rid of. Just examine their work in linear order; they have a pattern/agenda of PC simplification, with the obvious intent to replace the PC with the player—that's not roleplaying.

streamlining_the_systems_1.png

That is why there are no tactics involved. You just point and shoot, and the only choices you make is who to shoot and where to aim. And what to wear. It is just that you hypocrites put the original Fallouts into a pedestal and refuse to accept the fact that Fallout 1 and 2 are not "deep tactical games".
What game did YOU play?

You admit you haven't played Fallout 4
I'll admit that too. It's a taint I wouldn't be able to live down.
*But I have seen enough videos of it.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
You admit you haven't played Fallout 4, you SPERG, yet you criticize and compare it based on "other people's opinions"? I am done. I am done with you. And sheeple on this forum have the AUDACITY to call me "retard" and "troll", while you spergs comment on games you haven't played.

My cover is blown.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Fallout 4: Normal sex with a woman

Original Fallout: Take a turn to unzip pants, next turn put condom, next turn spread her legs, next turn thrust your penis inside her vagina, next turn pull it back a little, next turn push again

There you have it. Another spoiled gamer whose attention span was destroyed by playing too much popamolized rubbish. Woo-wee. Somebody show him some explosions, quickly

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
while you spergs comment on games you haven't played.

Unlike you, most people here are genre veterans with a few decades of playing these games under their belt. So no, you debilitated cretin, you don't have to eat shit to know how it tastes like. Isn't god great?

Tigranes

Arcane
But having tried to replay them many years later, i realised something: They are not that great.

Wow, what an amazing discovery, man! Obviously, nobody in this forum has been able to replay Fallout 1 since 1999 and the great Y2K crisis. We have been forced to grow old relying only on our fading memories of good old Fallout, and every year our foggy brains grow unsure - did the game have guns? Were the mutants green or blue? We're just so glad you've been able to do this and report back with amazing, enlightening truths. If only all of us could play these games again in 2020 and see for ourselves whether the game compares favourably to good games or not, and create innumerable posts and threads about that, oh wait

Raskens

Learned
Patron
I was born in 95, and played F1 three years ago and found it to be a great game, certainly superior to F3 which I played maybe the first time 8 years ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom