Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Outer Worlds Feature at Game Informer: Rapid-Fire Interview with Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky

Paul_cz

Arcane
This will be another classic "old RPG legends" shitshow. These people's best work in the last 20 years are Wild Star and Diablo 3 :badnews:
Bloodlines came out 15 years ago

Diggfinger

Arcane
Re: Boyarsky as "voice of reason"

1anbJfb.png

Simpsons references gallore!

There will be so much butthurt when this is released and is fucking awesome.

Though I still have no idea why there is so much doubt here given the two leads are TIM CAIN AND LEONARD BOYARSKY.

It's a mixture of Obsidian being 90% trash (see: CA debacle) and the fact the last public thing Tim Cain said before this project was a weird talk about making RPGs simpler, and specifically turning character creation stats into symbols and colors or some shit.

Boyarsky seems like the voice of reason here.
lol, yeah whenever I hear tim cain speak I can't help but think that any good games he created in his past were almost entirely by accident because his natural instincts when it comes to game design seem to be retarded. He appears to have no limit for wanting to simplify and stamp out any and all complexity wherever it might hide.

oh wow cool so can you please list teh awesome RPGs (or any art, in any format) YOU have done/contributed to?

.....nothing, you say?

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Where the fuck is our prestigious RPGCODEX interview? Did they cuck out and blacklist us?

After Feargus read the comments about him around here after Avellone's spilled the beans about Obsidian's upper management, we are more than blacklisted, we are blackholelisted.

Though I still have no idea why there is so much doubt here given the two leads are TIM CAIN AND LEONARD BOYARSKY.

For that first comment alone you deserve a fanboy tag.
Also, have you lived under a rock the last half a decade with all those kickstarter failures of grand legendary devs from the golden age of gaming industry?
Let alone Cain and Boyarsky's recent bitching about Fallout.

It's a mixture of Obsidian being 90% trash (see: CA debacle) and the fact the last public thing Tim Cain said before this project was a weird talk about making RPGs simpler, and specifically turning character creation stats into symbols and colors or some shit.

Boyarsky seems like the voice of reason here.

Yeah, cause of course a RPG is about pumping up numbers like a retarded Japanese

Zeriel

Arcane
90% trash? Because Avellone got massively butthurt at Urquhart and Parker (and Parker’s wife)? Those three people don’t make up 90% of Obsidian. Besides, I’d be interested to hear the other sides to the story.

He's not the only person who left. Obsidian really hasn't made a good game for years unless you're one of those people who thinks Pillars of Eternity is brilliant, and setting aside the personal disagreements the stuff CA said about mismanagement (remember the double-billing Tyranny thing?) should apply at a broad level. I want Outer Worlds to be good, but I honestly don't get people here who are generally fans of Obsidian at this point rather than specific fans of Cain or Boyarsky. Look at their output, look at the employees you see in videos other than Cain and Boyarsky, if this was any other studio people would view them as a bunch of dangerhairs and millenials shitting out garbage.

Re: Boyarsky as "voice of reason"

1anbJfb.png

I was specifically referring to their most recent, public-facing statements. Boyarsky is on the record recognizing that the way a company like Blizzard does things has drawbacks, and that Diablo 3 could have been much better. i.e, he faces reality and knows that he worked on decline. Meanwhile Cain's remarks on his time at Turbine are basically flowers, ponies, and sunshine, and his most recent stated design ideas come across as Molyneux-tier madness.

The good thing about Boyarsky and Cain is they still hew to their old design philosophies and this is why Outer Worlds could be a really good or at least decent game, but let's not pretend there is no reason to be cautious.

Last edited:

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
I don't believe Obsidian will deliver anything its just my opinion, they think they can, but they cant.

Pretty much sums it up.

lol, yeah whenever I hear tim cain speak I can't help but think that any good games he created in his past were almost entirely by accident because his natural instincts when it comes to game design seem to be retarded. He appears to have no limit for wanting to simplify and stamp out any and all complexity wherever it might hide.

I have a feeling they just knew each other for so long, they simply like to work together, but personally I'd prefer a game by Boyarsky alone for his personal creative design, even if it would mean the mechanics are plain oldschool or even downright cumbersome.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron

selkin

Liturgist
The answer to the 60 FPS question is a bit alarming. Tim needs to be up to date, a console game that does not have 60 FPS will fall behind. The only reason id Software's Rage is playable is because it has high FPS. In my opinion.

So either The Outer Worlds will be a great RPG and ppl won't give a fck about the action aspect, or it'll be a great RPG and a great action game as well.
:hmmm:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-fallout-4-performance-analysis

Not many people care when it comes to RPGs.
Did I miss something, Fallout 4 is RPG then?

Trashos

Arcane
Leon and Tim talking about the hype building up, which is impossible to meet with any budget. Leon says "people's imagination is unlimited".

It is going to be advertised as "made by the creators of Fallout", and a logo of New Vegas is bound to be occasionally in the background. What do you think people are going to expect? I expect the casuals to be even more butthurt than the Codex.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Leon and Tim talking about the hype building up, which is impossible to meet with any budget. Leon says "people's imagination is unlimited".

It is going to be advertised as "made by the creators of Fallout", and a logo of New Vegas is bound to be occasionally in the background. What do you think people are going to expect? I expect the casuals to be even more butthurt than the Codex.

Fun fact:
20% of the people on OW worked on NV.
3% worked on Fallout 1 or 2.

Let the hype commence...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom