Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Oracsbox

I lost interest in this thread when the interesting posts on Aliens,breasts,mad vegans,Fluent wanting to fuck Ocasio-Cortez,is Putin a midget etc.. got deleted by Infinifanny and I can't be bothered to read thru the last 50 pages especially if it's only about map markers.

What I wanted to ask is when is the next new authentic information/ gameplay drop happening with this possible shitfest/masterpiece anyone know ?

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
There is only one reason why quest markers are used.

Its because its easier to design environment and content of the game with them.
Because you dont have to design all the supporting content that would allow players to find specific points of interest or worry about plausibility of architecture and nature and how well it logically connects with quest specifics.

Its a simplification that allows simplification of game environments which most often turns out bad, cheap, superficial or outright stupid.

Just like all those who argue for it.

redactir

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
How to Rate Open worlds Openness

Checklist:
a) Can we return to anywhere we were throughout the game?
b) Is there any attempt to provide large areas dedicated to exploration between major locations? for N Major Locations: we want (N^2 - N) + 1 Exploration Areas
c) Are the major locations all arranged on a line going one direction? Does the world feel like it lives in stages?
d) Are we being sandwiched into hallways, corridors for most of the game (in terms of space and time)?
e) Were unnatural means repetitively used to block player's travel where it looks like they should be able to go? (not including the map edges)
f) Is the game forcing us to participate in its story, rather than having the reactive harshness keeping us in our place?
g) If the developer used an impressive name like "The Outer Worlds", does it feel like there's Worlds out there?
h) Do interesting things progress even if the player doesn't continue the MQ or SQs for a while?
i) Was h), unfortunately used to force player back to the story or make player feel rushed?

I'll stop there. List was beginning to touch upon reactivity.

Debugging doesn't mean you have to design your game, or quests, around quest markers.

I'm not even entirely opposed to Quest Markers in some cases. It's a pain in the arse tracking down NPCs for quests sometimes. It's still better to be able to ask a guard and have him say 'oh yeah McBeard the dwarven blacksmith is always in his shop at this time', or 'the blacksmith? He'll be at the tavern at this hour, I expect', though.

But having inanimate objects, or dungeon-quest locations, with a magic floating quest marker? Just, no.

Development still isn't over. My point was they were playing for a different purpose all this time. Don't give up hope. It's in the past now. What needed to be said was said if these are the people we believe they are.

Deleted Member 16721

I would hope an open-world would have natural barriers (monsters, pay a toll, this area is off-limits until you have the okay from the king, etc.) to block travel, otherwise the open world is going to be wide open but in the Skyrim sense, i.e. go anywhere at any level, no high level areas or hard encounters. Gothic/Risen/ELEX did it the best so far out of any developer, open-world with natural barriers, usually enemies, guarding the better loot and harder areas throughout the world.

Yosharian

Arcane

Because you dont have to design all the supporting content that would allow players to find specific points of interest or worry about plausibility of architecture and nature and how well it logically connects with quest specifics.

Its a simplification that allows simplification of game environments which most often turns out bad, cheap, superficial or outright stupid.

To be fair I don't think anyone is actually arguing for quest markers, rather they're defending them as unavoidable in some cases

Yosharian

Arcane
How to Rate Open worlds Openness

Checklist:
a) Can we return to anywhere we were throughout the game?
b) Is there any attempt to provide large areas dedicated to exploration between major locations? for N Major Locations: we want (N^2 - N) + 1 Exploration Areas
c) Are the major locations all arranged on a line going one direction? Does the world feel like it lives in stages?
d) Are we being sandwiched into hallways, corridors for most of the game (in terms of space and time)?
e) Were unnatural means repetitively used to block player's travel where it looks like they should be able to go? (not including the map edges)
f) Is the game forcing us to participate in its story, rather than having the reactive harshness keeping us in our place?
g) If the developer used an impressive name like "The Outer Worlds", does it feel like there's Worlds out there?
h) Do interesting things progress even if the player doesn't continue the MQ or SQs for a while?
i) Was h), unfortunately used to force player back to the story or make player feel rushed?

I'll stop there. List was beginning to touch upon reactivity.

Debugging doesn't mean you have to design your game, or quests, around quest markers.

I'm not even entirely opposed to Quest Markers in some cases. It's a pain in the arse tracking down NPCs for quests sometimes. It's still better to be able to ask a guard and have him say 'oh yeah McBeard the dwarven blacksmith is always in his shop at this time', or 'the blacksmith? He'll be at the tavern at this hour, I expect', though.

But having inanimate objects, or dungeon-quest locations, with a magic floating quest marker? Just, no.

Development still isn't over. My point was they were playing for a different purpose all this time. Don't give up hope. It's in the past now. What needed to be said was said if these are the people we believe they are.
Yeah but Outer Worlds isn't an open world game

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

To be fair I don't think anyone is actually arguing for quest markers, rather they're defending them as unavoidable in some cases

They are all the same.

I say we nuke them from orbit. Its the only way to be sure. (and a few asteroid strikes after that, to be double sure)
Animals will rebound eventually, its alright.

redactir

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
RyqsNAR.png

Wesp5

Arcane

I don't know what would be so difficult of giving some extra info to avoid quest markers. The world looks differentiated enough to me, so either have the NPCs describe where to look or add info to the quest log...

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Would you see Skyrim any differently if quest markers were disabled and you had to make your way around with the Clairvoyance spell?

No, I wouldn’t. It would likely be even worse than it is. Clairvoyance was a joke of a spell anyway.

But I probably would have (seen it differently) if the quests and their descriptions were designed better, and the use, accuracy and knowledge of the map was an improvable gameplay element somehow tied to character stats.

Deleted Member 16721

If quest markers were disabled then Clairvoyance would actually matter. But you can just turn off quest markers and rely on Clairvoyance, of course no one is going to give you directions otherwise though, so it wouldn't be as much fun as if someone gave you directions too.

Deleted Member 16721

And for the record I wanted to marry Ocasio-Cortez. I didn't know who she was, someone just posted a picture and I fell in love. :love:

Oh yeah, and The Outer Worlds is still going to be good. Not as excited about is as Outward though, but it should be noice.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I hope Boyarsky and Cain will stay at Obsidian after this game and that they will be involved in future games like POE3.

Don't waste them on POE3. Either their own sequels or new IP's .

Edit: This is not slagging off POE, its just what they are good at and like to do.

Last edited:

Oracsbox

And for the record I wanted to marry Ocasio-Cortez. I didn't know who she was, someone just posted a picture and I fell in love. :love:

Oh yeah, and The Outer Worlds is still going to be good. Not as excited about is as Outward though, but it should be noice.

Dude it's fine I understand you saw a picture I posted of a woman who looks like a Houyhnhnm and became enamoured love is blind.
At least the conversation has moved from map markers to feet.

Deleted Member 16721

So the game will have a Survival Mode with hardcore elements. Intriguing. Eat, sleep and drink. I know which mode I'll be playing. :cool:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Imo this game actually has the best quest compass ever made in a game: You talk to a random person, and they give you directions where you should go based on where you are(and if I remember correctly, not everyone knows where a certain thing is, so you have to ask around).
Outcast's system is pretty clever. It's basically a "last seen" function, that any generic NPC can call (named NPCs don't give directions). So different NPCs can give conflicting directions because the last time they have seen the person you're looking for is different (if the guy is mobile, and/or they are). Sometimes you get to where they told you the guy was and he's just left already, but you can then ask people at that location and they should have more recent info.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom