Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Which is why it's more likely that Microsoft will purchase the publishing rights from Take Two if the game is a success.

Obsidian/Microsoft ultimately controls the IP, so any chance of Take Two investing in a sequel with another studio is slim.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
I know Obsidian owns the trademark, which is enough to conclude that Take Two will never make a sequel without them. It would be stupid, just like your fantasy of Tim Cain quitting and forming his own AAA studio.

Quillon

Arcane
The real question is why is it worth considering Tim & Leo quitting atm? We don't know shit about how content they are making this game under Obs other than MCA saying they'd be happier somewhere else. And we know that they don't wanna manage a studio anymore.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What's the chance that Deadfire win the best RPG and Obisidian gets to announce a new game at the same time? The melt down here will be glorious.
If only. But I fear Pillars 2 is only added to the list out of pity, so the game awards can say that they don't just cater to the mass market AAA games.

Terenty

Liturgist
You are wrong, dead wrong to be more exact. The game has been in development for 3? years now. After Armored Warfare was taken to Russia, most of Obsidian's staff has been working on this game. The budget will be quite bigger than Deadfire's budget

Where am i wrong? Either they will have great graphics and animations and voiceovers which will take a lot of money from the budget, or they cut corners on the presentation( junky animations, few assets and models, the same two actors voicing everybody) in order to create more content. Thats why im saying id prefer it if they made an isometric game which doesnt require every character to be voiced, with good graphics and art style that doesnt look cheap and with lots of content.

I very much duobt they have an AAA sized budget to pull of both.

Last edited:
You are wrong, dead wrong to be more exact. The game has been in development for 3? years now. After Armored Warfare was taken to Russia, most of Obsidian's staff has been working on this game. The budget will be quite bigger than Deadfire's budget

Where am i wrong? Either they will have great graphics and animations and voiceovers which will take a lot of money from the budget, or they cut corners on the presentation( junky animations, few assets and models, the same two actors voicing everybody) in order to create more content. Thats why im saying id prefer it if they made an isometric game which doesnt require every character to be voiced, with good graphics and art style that doesnt look cheap and with lots of content.

I very much duobt they have an AAA sized budget to pull of both.

“They’ve had 100 people working on it for three years.”

“Well, I doubt they have a AAA budget.”

That’s what a AAA budget is, you dunce.

Terenty

Liturgist
They’ve had 100 people working on it for three years.”

“Well, I doubt they have a AAA budget.”

That’s what a AAA budget is, you dunce.

100 people is not AAA anymore, 300+ is. But you know what, i just remembered Pyranha Bytes with Elex on a smaller budget, so theres hope.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So which will be the better spiritual successor - Josh's to the IE games, or Tim's to Fallout?

Vote with "decline" for PoE and "quality shit" for whatever Project Indiana is going to be!
:happytrollboy:

Quillon

Arcane
Anything is better than fooking high fantasy but no quality shit option :negative:

Do you accept regular shit?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So which will be the better spiritual successor - Josh's to the IE games, or Tim's to Fallout?

Vote with "decline" for PoE and "quality shit" for whatever Project Indiana is going to be!
It will be more of an action-RPG IMO, so PoE is still closer to being an IE than this game to being Fallout.

Latelistener

Arcane
The real question is why is it worth considering Tim & Leo quitting atm?
It's worth considering everything, but I don't think they will actually leave. They will probably retire after a game or two after Indiana.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

PoE games were great incline. Great games. So i refuse to participate in your rigged poll equating "decline" with the masterpieces of Josh. Sorry.

Besides, we already have a great spiritual successor for Fallout, Atom RPG.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It will be more of an action-RPG IMO, so PoE is still closer to being an IE than this game to being Fallout.
Well, this is the kind of thinking that got us this PoE game that we have. "It's isometric and with six characters, so that makes it a spiritual successor".

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Well, this is the kind of thinking that got us this PoE game that we have. "It's isometric and with six characters, so that makes it a spiritual successor".

I love it when people on the codex cater to the circle jerk for popularity points...

Dude, PoE games literally are CLONES of the BG games. LITERALLY.

1) The story parallels in many ways the story of the originals

2) The character and combat systems is pretty much a modernized version of BG games system

3) Everything from the classes to the spells clones the BG games

4) Gameplay is the same, even UI is the same in many ways

How the fuck can you say it is not a spiritual successor? What more could a spiritual successor add AND avoid copyright infringement at the same time?

You people really are THICC.

I can understand if nu-codex does not like CRPGs like the IE games. I really can. They have been obsolete in many ways, it has been 20 years now. And i suppose if you don't like IE games then you wouldn't enjoy PoE either. And that's fine.

But when you say "it was not a spiritual successor", then shit gets RETARDED. Seriously RETARDED. And WRONG...

Unwanted

SlumLord

Unwanted
Edgy
I loved the Jules Verne books as a kid. Would be awesome if they went with that kind of aesthetic.

And despite what most people think, Bioshock != Verne. It's more Randian in its premise and execution.

Which makes sense since Ken Levine is jew like Rand, and shares her obsession of hyper-materialistic individualism.

But a well-made 20k Leagues RPG in the vein of Verne would be a joy to play. Even if they set it in space, they could still hit the same themes like in the book.

Knowing Obsidian, though, the Nautilus would be called 'Nut-In-Us', and would be captained by a paraplegic transgenderkin sex fiend bent on enforcing gender fluidity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom