Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Unwanted

SlumLord

Unwanted
Edgy
You are implying Verne is not hyper-materialistic individualist. The hero of 20000 leagues is literally a billionaire playboy who defies the world order so that he can live free and help others be so. So is the "hero" of the Master of the world (Robur).
Verne is materialistic to the degree of his time. He uses clockwork mechanics as a vector for classical tragedy and its humanist themes, while Rand delves into an entirely detached, analytical mindset in order to probe societal constructs (and come to an entirely erroneous conclusion).

Also, if you think 20k Leagues (or Master) and Atlas Shrugged are in any way similar, you missed the point of both... and by a mile.

Rant incoming:

Randian heroes are painted in opposition to the world around them and excel in their own capabilities just so Rand can use the ensuing contrast (between them and the pedestrian cattle surrounding them) to browbeat the reader into agreeing with her original premise - that everyone in society who doesn't belong to the apex 1% should hate themselves for their lack of divine gifts (a trait shared by many jews). And in doing that, she makes a fatal flaw of reasoning, thinking people's (and by extension, society's) flaws are brought on by malice, when in reality they're only byproducts of natural limitations placed upon humanity by genetics. Because the only way society can move forward is if the genetic elite sacrifice a part of their autonomy by providing a framework within which even the lowest idiot can contribute meaningfully to the rest of civilization.

Verne is different. His heroes are byproducts of unavoidable tragedy that buries them, despite their desire to help those beneath them. His works are stuffed with classical pathos, and extol the virtues of ascetic mysticism (the search for Truth, being the foremost among these).

Whereas Rand lionizes someone like Galt, who's a selfish, whiny, capitalist-materialist socially-myopic bitch that aggressively pursues atomization as a panacea for humanity's flaws. It's funny how anti-statist Rand is - she's the definition of a proto-Libertarian , but like all the other tards that ascribe to that failed philosophy, she fails to understand how cohesive large-scale groups always outcompete fragmented individualistic ones.

To finalize this unnecessarily long tangent: Rand and Verne are different on a fundamental level because the former concludes that society isn't worth saving and must be abandoned (defeatism), while the latter acknowledges its flaws but believes effort must be made nonetheless (laconic optimism). The two of them are as different as night and day.

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
You are implying Verne is not hyper-materialistic individualist. The hero of 20000 leagues is literally a billionaire playboy who defies the world order so that he can live free and help others be so. So is the "hero" of the Master of the world (Robur).
Verne is materialistic to the degree of his time. He uses clockwork mechanics as a vector for classical tragedy and its humanist themes, while Rand delves into an entirely detached, analytical mindset in order to probe societal constructs (and come to an entirely erroneous conclusion).

Also, if you think 20k Leagues (or Master) and Atlas Shrugged are in any way similar, you missed the point of both... and by a mile.

Firstly, I do not think that the *books* are similar. They have similarities in some sense, and I am reasonably sure that Rand was inspired by the Master of the World. But that is beside the point. I only meant to point out that Verne's heroes can also be, in your own words, *entirely* detached and analytical the case in point being Phileas Fogg.

Secondly, you have overinterpreted the books so much, and that too like a sophomore that I do not think there is any point in a debate. Rand's books are simply there to fill in a void she thought existed in her world. Verne has no such political motive. So, of course, the message and the structure of the books in different.

Unwanted

SlumLord

Unwanted
Edgy
Firstly, I do not think that the *books* are similar. They have similarities in some sense, and I am reasonably sure that Rand was inspired by the Master of the World. But that is beside the point. I only meant to point out that Verne's heroes can also be, in your own words, *entirely* detached and analytical the case in point being Phileas Fogg.
Phileas is a character created to illustrate a theme. Same with others. The key is that Verne may internally agree with one character, while disagreeing with another. This is completely different than Rand, who uses every one of her characters to reinforce her main premise. To her, they're mouthpieces that act as a megaphone, while to Vern his creations are encapsulated cutouts that serve as props for the story.

That's the difference between them - Jules is a storyteller, while Ayn is a preacher (who proselytizes through books because she couldn't IRL). And yes, I detest her books for their political undertones. The woman was a loathsome and irredeemable materialist in the vein of most Russian-jewish emigrees.

Unwanted

SlumLord

Unwanted
Edgy
We know at least that Tim Cain has some definite ideas on certain aspects of combat.
Fingers crossed he made Ferg promise to stay the fuck away from the project. Although seeing the scale of it, I highly doubt this.

Still, Tim and Len hold enough clout to wield a certain amount of autonomy at the company.

Fuck it, I hate being optimistic, but that's all we have left.

TheShadyLurker

Scholar
Fingers crossed he made Ferg promise to stay the fuck away from the project. Although seeing the scale of it, I highly doubt this.

Still, Tim and Len hold enough clout to wield a certain amount of autonomy at the company.

Fuck it, I hate being optimistic, but that's all we have left.

Judging by the responses in this thread, the Codex should be renamed into 'Obsidian's Main Bitch'.

But if Obsidian is made up of Biobitches (or Biorejects, as Ferg calls them), then does that mean the Codex is Bioware's bottom bitch simply through association?

:0-13:

Unwanted

SlumLord

Unwanted
Edgy
^What's your point? I shit on them when they deserve it.

And which of you sodomites from the past few pages had to log onto a fucking alt instead of posting on your main and getting wrecked again? :lol:

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Phileas is a character created to illustrate a theme. Same with others. The key is that Verne may internally agree with one character, while disagreeing with another. This is completely different than Rand, who uses every one of her characters to reinforce her main premise. To her, they're mouthpieces that act as a megaphone, while to Vern his creations are encapsulated cutouts that serve as props for the story.

That's the difference between them - Jules is a storyteller, while Ayn is a preacher (who proselytizes through books because she couldn't IRL). And yes, I detest her books for their political undertones. The woman was a loathsome and irredeemable materialist in the vein of most Russian-jewish emigrees.

I agree with you here in general. However I think you are really underestimating how much materialism and science positivism is in Jules Verne's books, it isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's there. It also can be offputting to more modern audiences, funnily enough, because people aren't as driven by capital anymore, especially people who like video games. So I sincerely doubt that this game if it is influenced directly by Jules Verne will have his materialistic views. It's true though for Jules Verne it was just his general worldview and one that was also popular in his society at the time, Rand on the other hand is a political theorist, it's not comparable.

Unwanted

SlumLord

Unwanted
Edgy
However I think you are really underestimating how much materialism and science positivism is in Jules Verne's books, it isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's there.
I agree that it's a good thing. It'd be nice if more games embraced it, instead of trying and failing to nail down the grimdark aesthetic (the Fallouts managed to pull off edginess, but only because the grimness of the setting was counterbalanced by its humor).

I'd like to see something Bioshock, but with less political preaching. One of the reasons Mass Effect was so popular is because there's a kernel of scientific optimism at its core.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I like skyrim.

The whole world likes Skyrim. One of the best games ever made. Don't let trolls bully you

The whole world also loves Mcdonalds, doesn't make it the best food in the world.

Skyrim is a fun sandbox to mod that you can enjoy when you stop pretending it's an RPG.
If you are in the mood for a deep game with detailed systems and a strong story, Don't play Skyrim.
If you wanna fuck around for a few hours killing shit, play Skyrim.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
The whole world also loves Mcdonalds, doesn't make it the best food in the world.

Skyrim is a fun sandbox to mod that you can enjoy when you stop pretending it's an RPG.
If you are in the mood for a deep game with detailed systems and a strong story, Don't play Skyrim.
If you wanna fuck around for a few hours killing shit, play Skyrim.

Skyrim is definitely an RPG. Being an Action-RPG does not mean the RPG part is not legit. Its character system definitely shapes up the way you interact with the world.

Also, what is wrong with Skyrim's story? It's a typical fantasy story, dragons invade, you are a hero with the soul of a dragon, you slay dragons. Typical fantasy stuff. Was the story in Divinity Original Sin any better? You are the souls of some old heroes needing to save the world of some evil?

Skyrim is great, and yes modding makes it even better. Come on admit it, it is your most played game. Send a private message if you don't want to admit it in public, i won't tell. LOL.

Black Angel

Arcane
Skyrim is definitely an RPG. Being an Action-RPG does not mean the RPG part is not legit. Its character system definitely shapes up the way you interact with the world.

Also, what is wrong with Skyrim's story? It's a typical fantasy story, dragons invade, you are a hero with the soul of a dragon, you slay dragons. Typical fantasy stuff. Was the story in Divinity Original Sin any better? You are the souls of some old heroes needing to save the world of some evil?

Skyrim is great, and yes modding makes it even better. Come on admit it, it is your most played game. Send a private message if you don't want to admit it in public, i won't tell. LOL.
bethestard.png

so_good.png

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

My top played "Bethesda" game according to Steam is easily Fallout New Vegas which comes down entirely to it's faction / dialogue / skill system / quest design.
With a few mods you can make that game pretty durn gud and it's not filled with "Clean out X Cave" quests.

That said - it's still a "fuck around and shoot stuff" game. I don't really play it when I am looking to play an *~~*~RPG~*~~*

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I hope none of those people have a major role on this game.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hope there will be a new thread when the game is actually announced. Flipping around in this one is like trying to locate a drop of iced tea in a gallon of seawater.

and i realize this post isn't helping so don't bother pointing that out

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I'd be shocked if Obsidian make a game that has as much good action control and feel as Prey.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom