Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Big Wrangle

To be fair, Diablo 2 is arguably more stylized than the first. It ultimately depends on how you execute it.

Terenty

Liturgist
Stylized is always better.

Mgs 5 and Death Stranding arent stylized and look great. Rdr 2 is not stylzed as well. Id say if you have a great realistic lightning then you can have a good looking realistic art style, otherwise it will look flat and ugly

Quillon

Arcane
Some guy on youtube found resemblance of "art nouveau" in that auntie cleo's commercial, which is apparently an art style that was most popular between 1890-1910.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy

Mgs 5 and Death Stranding arent stylized and look great. Rdr 2 is not stylzed as well. Id say if you have great realistic lightning then you can have a great looking realistic art style, otherwise it will look flat and ugly

RDR2 is stylized after the Hudson River school of painting. Many setpieces are inspired by famous works.

13263876_1193677837309204_5934863442460347060_n-660x400.jpg
ed8ae541ee32e095fe2678092a08c952.jpg

Hudson-River-School-Asher-Durand-White-Mountain-Scenery.jpg
1901.37.jpg

Last edited:

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
"Stylized" most of the time is a retarded cartoony style designed to use less resources (and thus need less optimizations), plus it is an easy "style" to "get right". You don't need to care about detail that much for shadows, colours, textures, when your "style" is cartoony.

Realistic is always better. ALWAYS.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"Stylized" most of the time is a retarded cartoony style designed to use less resources (and thus need less optimizations), plus it is an easy "style" to "get right". You don't need to care about detail that much for shadows, colours, textures, when your "style" is cartoony.

Realistic is always better. ALWAYS.
bethestard.png

hmm so realistic

UiNqAXJ_d.jpg

The Real Fanboy
Why do you hate that style? I prefer Dishonored and Bioshock style above realistic one. Stylized is always better.

From playing my sisters copy of Dishonored 2, I hate that no women have long hair in the universe and thus can't do sickening hair flips.

theremin

Novice
Pretty excited for this, whatever sci-fi/fantasy/Victorian/Western mashup it may be (must be veryy excited since I made an account!) "Arcanum 2 in spaaaaaace" sounds amazing and now my mind's eye is filled with half-orcs prospecting on a careening comet...or some shit. Just a lil worried about the rumored 3rd person perspective and what it would mean for game play. The dreaded "cover-based shooting" mechanic rears its hideous fucking head again.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
bethestard.png

hmm so realistic

UiNqAXJ_d.jpg

Just because i like Bethesda games does not mean that i like EVERYTHING on them...

Besides, i don't play Oblivion. You picked a screenshot from the only bethesda game EVER that i never finished, actually haven't played more than 10 hours... I hate Oblivion.

Skyrim was much more realistic. Why not pick a screenshot from that?

The Real Fanboy

Mgs 5 and Death Stranding arent stylized and look great. Rdr 2 is not stylzed as well. Id say if you have great realistic lightning then you can have a great looking realistic art style, otherwise it will look flat and ugly

RDR2 is stylized after the Hudson River school of painting. Many setpieces are inspired by famous works.

13263876_1193677837309204_5934863442460347060_n-660x400.jpg
ed8ae541ee32e095fe2678092a08c952.jpg

Hudson-River-School-Asher-Durand-White-Mountain-Scenery.jpg
1901.37.jpg

Safaf this is so cool, thanks for posting it! Both RDR2 and Deadfire two of the best rpgs of the year were both inspired by the Hudson River School!!! (tbf tho if I remember from discord, Pillars of Eternity I was really inspired by it instead of II's equally snatched Moana polynesian lewk)

imweasel

^
Wut? The first 10 hours of RDR2 are good, the last 10 hours are good, but the rest is boring open world herpa derp BS and a fucking chore to play. Even GTA does it better.

It is also definitely not an RPG.

Terenty

Liturgist
^
Wut? The first 10 hours of RDR2 are good, the last 10 hours are good, but the rest is boring open world herpa derp BS and a fucking chore to play. Even GTA does it better.

It is also definitely not an RPG

Have you played the game? Because i cant see how you can say its boring open world when theres just a staggering amount of quality content packed into it. From seemingly endless enteractions in your camp to tons of side quests to the amazing sense of exploration, where you always find something interesting. No copypaste outposts, villages etc everything is handcrafted and unique, not to mention i still find new places and random events after 100+ hours.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Would have thought that Cowboy Bebop had too much testosterone for a guy like Scokel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom