Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
08ce809d7d3e4614dc5b97639303943b.jpg
Dwarves evolved from elves? :M :M :M
They're just fat elves who got kicked out of the club because their poetry wasn't up to snuff.

imweasel

^
Wut? The first 10 hours of RDR2 are good, the last 10 hours are good, but the rest is boring open world herpa derp BS and a fucking chore to play. Even GTA does it better.

It is also definitely not an RPG

Have you played the game? Because i cant see how you can say its boring open world when theres just a staggering amount of quality content packed into it.
Yes, I finished the campaign and then sold the game on Ebay as fast as I could. There is no way I will play a horse riding simulator for 100+ hours or do any of this collectathon BS just to get some completely worthless trophies.

The side content is pretty boring and the story is complete garbage, except for the first and last 5-10 hours. Funnily enough, the epilogue was the best part of the game with the best writing and pacing.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Well, you certainly can't be gay in Saudia Arabia. The gay police would pick you up and execute your ass with a scimitar.

EDIT: conan_edw https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_by_country_or_territory

Gays always existed in the Muslim world, they just hide it better. Islam is only enforced because it keeps the peasants in line while the elites get away with all that sweet sweet oil well money... The other stuff like not drinking alcohol, not eating pork, not being gay, etc, are just for show. And to evoke a feeling of puritanism and authority and DREAD...

Source: I am Greek, i have met plenty of Muslim illegal immigrants. Let me tell you, they all eat pork like there is no tomorrow and drink alcohol worse than Russians, plus, plenty of them get it on amongthemselves since mostly males migrate to Europe and they can't find partners... We get police reports of male muslims raping other male muslims all the time here.

Terenty

Liturgist
Yes, I finished the campaign and then sold the game on Ebay as fast as I could. There is no way I will play a horse riding simulator for 100+ hours or do any of this collectathon BS just to get some completely worthless trophies.

The side content is pretty boring and the story is complete garbage, except for the first and last 5-10 hours. Funnily enough, the epilogue was the best part of the game with the best writing and pacing.

What collectathron? Ah, so you just beelined the main story never bothering to take sidequests and explore the world, got it.

lophiaspis

Arbiter
I am being hyped up, Obsidian is just going to disappoint us.

It's not really Obsidian though. It's the real deal. It's Team Fallout. It's Troika. It's the people the Obsidian upper management have made their career out of leeching off of.

"Obsidian" just happens to be in a position where their management's meddling can destroy everything...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's neither of those! Not "Team Fallout", and not the Pillars of Eternity people the Codex has been bitching about for six years. The truth is that nobody here knows much about Obsidian's AAA team, the remnant of the Armored Warfare crew plus all the people who have been hired since. It's really an entirely new thing and it's impossible to know how it'll work out.

But if I wanted to try to arrive at an estimate, I'd look at things like:

1) How Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky handled themselves as leads at Turbine and Blizzard
2) How well the Armored Warfare team worked

Because if this is an AAA RPG, the first thing you should be worried about is the possibility that it becomes a mismanaged shitshow - like Alpha Protocol a decade ago, but also like more recent games from developers we thought more capable than the old Obsidian, like Bioware (Mass Effect: Andromeda) and Bethesda (Fallout 76). In general, the industry has not been covering itself with glory recently.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Tim and Leo have never made a dud when they were able to work together as leads on the project, and that's all I care about.

Fairfax

Arcane
1) How Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky handled themselves as leads at Turbine and Blizzard
If this former dev is to be believed, Cain's work on Wildstar should be cause for concern:

Ex Dev on wildstar here. Watched the video and although it was quiet informative, I just wanted to chime in on some of the key factors on why this game was a huge flop.
I worked on the game for 5+ years and let me tell you.. This games was destined to fail wayyy before there was any issues with servers or not enough updates.
Development on this project was a nightmare. The real Development time frame was closer to 10/11 years. Coming onto the project at the 5 year mark I soon realized that the leads and big boys had no fucking clue what a good game was and they could not commit to any idea. Too many cooks in the kitchen that can't cook anything other than Mayo and Beef Jerky sandwiches... Look for the double meaning in that. It's there.
One of the most prevalent issues with the game that I noticed was bad direction from top down. People like Tim Cain specifically made way more problems than they were worth. Honestly the guy was a total dick. Awful to work with and almost nothing he "did" ended up in the game. His lack of leardership I would say was one of the reasons why the first 4-5 years of the game were almost completely thrown out. Literally...
Then you have an art director who couldn't keep his nose out of anything. His selfishness drove off many of the best artists in the company including cory loftis. Literally... Cory Loftis LEFT the game which is based off of his style almost entirely because of this guy. This same art director was also responsible for hijacking the story and overall vision of the game as well. Wondering why there wasn't more raids and dungeons? Because the ART DIRECTOR thought several ALREADY MADE LEVELS didn't fit the story anymore... So they threw them away... He also made calls on gameplay... Which... is a hole other nightmare.

The gameplay was once good... I would say around the 7 year mark. 1v1 combat was very fun at this point and each class felt very unique and fun. Unfortunately most of that was thrown away and replaced with alot of new stuff that was just NOT tested enough. I repeat... most of what launched in Wild star combat wise was BARELY tested. Stuff like Warplots was broken to shit from start to finish. The designers leading WarPlots were absolute lazy trash and would knowingly put in broken systems and call them done just to appease their bosses. The only reason that warplots was even REMOTELY playable on launch was because of some amazing talent on the 3D prop team. I am not joking.. Artists LEANRNED HOW TO SCRIPT TO FIX THIS CRAP.
Pvp in general was absolutely broken. I didn't even work on paper let alone work in a multi million dollar game. The idea of telegraphs is pretty straight forward and seems to just work for most cases in combat.... except in any fight larger that has more than two characters per team... Attack telegraphs drawing on the ground is very clear when you have a small amount of people fighting but in medium to large pvp fights ( pretty much every fight that matters) the entire ground becomes a multi colored disco dance floor. Casual to moderate gamers were like deer in headlights during the VERY FEW playtests that were had for larger pvp battles. SO MUCH FEEDBACK was given by the teams that participated in these tests and almost nothing was fixed about it.
The leadership was god awful. Proof of this was that most of the BEST things in the games that players loved the most such as Double Jump and Hoverboards were things that were never planned for or schedules by leads. Those were passion projects. Double Jump was made by an ARTIST. That artist got in trouble for making double jump and eventually fired for other reasons. Never got credit either. Hoverboards were snuck in by an animator... He got written up for secretly working on hoverboards in his freetime with other coworkers. The place was a prison of ideas and everyone was getting shanked for even THINKING that they WANTED to think of something to improve the game.

Oh did I mention mandatory Crunch? We would crunch for months at a time. Mandatory. I remember working from 10am to 3 am everynight 6 days a week for about 3 months straight. And I got a talking to once because I was 10 minutes late to work. ONCE. Because Jeremy Gafney saw me coming in late. Everyone working on this game was absolutely DONE with the BS and it shows. The love died way before this game launched. No one in the studio really wanted to play the game. And then we shifted to try to cater to the hardcore audience?! ( this was the version on launch. The hardcore not for pansies mmo) During a time where pretty much almost every successful game was being carried hard by more casual players.

I can go on but... I think you get the picture. These devs thought they were clever enough to ignore pretty much every other successful business model and all other mmorpgs to make this.. There you have it...

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
If this former dev is to be believed, Cain's work on Wildstar should be cause for concern:

I think that was actually mostly bullshit. Most of the problems with Wildstar came in the forms of shit ownership. Another dev essentially defended Cain, saying he did good work, but the higher ups pretty much kept shitting all over his stuff, so he up and left. Then the higher ups found out they didn't own a fucking thing that he did. He did. And it had to start all over again essentially.

Molina

Savant

Ex Dev on wildstar here. Watched the video and although it was quiet informative, I just wanted to chime in on some of the key factors on why this game was a huge flop.
I worked on the game for 5+ years and let me tell you.. This games was destined to fail wayyy before there was any issues with servers or not enough updates.
Development on this project was a nightmare. The real Development time frame was closer to 10/11 years. Coming onto the project at the 5 year mark I soon realized that the leads and big boys had no fucking clue what a good game was and they could not commit to any idea. Too many cooks in the kitchen that can't cook anything other than Mayo and Beef Jerky sandwiches... Look for the double meaning in that. It's there.
One of the most prevalent issues with the game that I noticed was bad direction from top down. People like Tim Cain specifically made way more problems than they were worth. Honestly the guy was a total dick. Awful to work with and almost nothing he "did" ended up in the game. His lack of leardership I would say was one of the reasons why the first 4-5 years of the game were almost completely thrown out. Literally...
Then you have an art director who couldn't keep his nose out of anything. His selfishness drove off many of the best artists in the company including cory loftis. Literally... Cory Loftis LEFT the game which is based off of his style almost entirely because of this guy. This same art director was also responsible for hijacking the story and overall vision of the game as well. Wondering why there wasn't more raids and dungeons? Because the ART DIRECTOR thought several ALREADY MADE LEVELS didn't fit the story anymore... So they threw them away... He also made calls on gameplay... Which... is a hole other nightmare.

The gameplay was once good... I would say around the 7 year mark. 1v1 combat was very fun at this point and each class felt very unique and fun. Unfortunately most of that was thrown away and replaced with alot of new stuff that was just NOT tested enough. I repeat... most of what launched in Wild star combat wise was BARELY tested. Stuff like Warplots was broken to shit from start to finish. The designers leading WarPlots were absolute lazy trash and would knowingly put in broken systems and call them done just to appease their bosses. The only reason that warplots was even REMOTELY playable on launch was because of some amazing talent on the 3D prop team. I am not joking.. Artists LEANRNED HOW TO SCRIPT TO FIX THIS CRAP.
Pvp in general was absolutely broken. I didn't even work on paper let alone work in a multi million dollar game. The idea of telegraphs is pretty straight forward and seems to just work for most cases in combat.... except in any fight larger that has more than two characters per team... Attack telegraphs drawing on the ground is very clear when you have a small amount of people fighting but in medium to large pvp fights ( pretty much every fight that matters) the entire ground becomes a multi colored disco dance floor. Casual to moderate gamers were like deer in headlights during the VERY FEW playtests that were had for larger pvp battles. SO MUCH FEEDBACK was given by the teams that participated in these tests and almost nothing was fixed about it.
The leadership was god awful. Proof of this was that most of the BEST things in the games that players loved the most such as Double Jump and Hoverboards were things that were never planned for or schedules by leads. Those were passion projects. Double Jump was made by an ARTIST. That artist got in trouble for making double jump and eventually fired for other reasons. Never got credit either. Hoverboards were snuck in by an animator... He got written up for secretly working on hoverboards in his freetime with other coworkers. The place was a prison of ideas and everyone was getting shanked for even THINKING that they WANTED to think of something to improve the game.

Oh did I mention mandatory Crunch? We would crunch for months at a time. Mandatory. I remember working from 10am to 3 am everynight 6 days a week for about 3 months straight. And I got a talking to once because I was 10 minutes late to work. ONCE. Because Jeremy Gafney saw me coming in late. Everyone working on this game was absolutely DONE with the BS and it shows. The love died way before this game launched. No one in the studio really wanted to play the game. And then we shifted to try to cater to the hardcore audience?! ( this was the version on launch. The hardcore not for pansies mmo) During a time where pretty much almost every successful game was being carried hard by more casual players.

I can go on but... I think you get the picture. These devs thought they were clever enough to ignore pretty much every other successful business model and all other mmorpgs to make this.. There you have it...
Well, it's not a surprise. The death of Troïka was caused by the mood "Fuck the upper management and white collar". Secondly, Cain si not known for his amazing idea in MMO, and guess what... it's not really relevant.
Right now, all I understand is : 1° Tim Cain worked with old dudes from Interplay and not with an equip who wants to create the next "wow killer". 2° Microsoft saw the game and liked it enough to buy Obsidian. 3° The Wildstar experience is barely relevant because it was a MMO with awful worldbuilding, and no RPG mechanics. 4° Boyarsky is also important if not more. He had important input for the world of Arcanum for example. 5° We will see. If it's shit game. Well, we will know that getting old is a shipwreck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom