Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Wow. What's the rush, fellas? Save something for launch week

Don't worry, they still have the launch party and Twitch Plays The Outer Worlds 22nd (great idea btw):M

Also the music is P.Good.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This Gilded Age stylistic never ceases to surprise me:
upload_2019-10-18_16-53-47.png

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I'll make my first playthru of The Outer Worlds an "Activist" run.

I'll only do quests from People Of Color NPCs and I'll make sure to kill any NPCs who are white or male, to really get into the spirit of the game ^_^

Duraframe300

Arcane
I'll make my first playthru of The Outer Worlds an "Activist" run.

I'll only do quests from People Of Color NPCs and I'll make sure to kill any NPCs who are white or male, to really get into the spirit of the game ^_^

So you’re going to sell out Phineas first thing? Corporate shill you.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Looks like this game will have exactly the same amount of "captivating storytelling" as that of Pillars and deadfire. Meaning zero.. The only "dilemmas" in the game will be of financial nature as the developers are too chicken shit to touch any other issues (like racism, sexism)... Pillars setting was extremely bland as the entire setting felt it was designed by boardroom committee that was afraid of their own shadow.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New Vegas didn't have a brilliant story either. It was 3 armies fighting over a MacGuffin. But the moment to moment had personality and lots of interesting things to do and check out. Will OW live up to that? Really impossible to tell from a few previews.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Really jerking their cock with this one. And it's not even really their cock because most of the current devs didn't work on Obsidian's pre-Pillars RPGs.

Technically the Outer Worlds so far Leads did. (Charles Staples, Daniel Alpert) Anyway, the trailers aren’t made by Obsidian, but by a trailer company. Butcher something. They took the quote from ign.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
To compare it to a past Obsidian game, the developer told Kotaku that "a good bit of context for the approach is to think of what we did in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, with potentially more ground to cover and explore in each area."
Those are some big shoes to fill.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Really jerking their cock with this one. And it's not even really their cock because most of the current devs didn't work on Obsidian's pre-Pillars RPGs.

It's often said that Obsidian have lost all of their old writers, which is substantially true. Saying that they've lost all their old devs - including leads, designers, artists, programmers etc - is, I think, not as true.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Ahhh no,the fallout armour looks practical while the armour on the right looks like some over designed fantasy garbage lol.

Not everything needs to look pratical. It's video-game and sometimes it's just fine to go with the rule of the cool and make non-sense armors that looks good. But this is just imo..

I just really like non-sense armors like Berserker Armor from Berserk , that look cool rather than pratical.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
It's often said that Obsidian have lost all of their old writers, which is substantially true. Saying that they've lost all their old devs - including leads, designers, artists, programmers etc - is, I think, not as true.
MCA made a post last year where he listed all of the New Vegas devs and whether or not they're still at Obsidian: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/has-your-opinion-of-obsidian-changed-after-avellone’s-revelations-and-deadfire.123110/page-5#post-5728891

52 out of 70 of the devs are not at Obsidian anymore (74%). The 19 devs still at Obsidian (bolded are my additions):

Still There: (~19 18)
Mikey Dowling - Producer
Matt Singh - Producer
Brandon Adler - Producer
Brian Menze - Artist, Interplay/Black Isle vet
Scotty Everts - World building lead, Interplay/Black Isle vet
Daniel Alpert - Character/weapons artist
Sean Dunny - Environment artist
Seth McCaughey - Animator
Shon Stewart - Animator
James Melilli - Environment artist
Anthony Rogers - Tester/additional animation
Adam Brennecke - Additional programming
Justin Bell - Sound designer
Dini McMurry - World building/additional area design, but disregard since she left Obsidian in June
Josh, obviously
Charles Staples -
Lead area designer
Jesse Farrell (left, then came back) - Area designer
Jeff Husges - Area designer, Interplay/Black Isle vet
Jorge Salgado - Area designer

Leads - 3/7 (they no longer have the lead artist, lead programmer, lead animator, and lead writer)
Designers (excluding leads) - 3/15
Artists/animators/world builders (exc. leads) - 7/14
Programmers (exc. lead) - 1/14 (lol)
Writers (exc. lead) - 0/5 (but we all know that part already)

Not all of Obsidian worked on New Vegas, of course; for instance, I know that Tyson Christensen (the lead area designer on Alpha Protocol) didn't work on NV and he's still at Obsidian.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not all of Obsidian worked on New Vegas, of course; for instance, I know that Tyson Christensen (the lead area designer on Alpha Protocol) didn't work on NV and he's still at Obsidian.

And there's Dungeon Siege 3 also. Regardless, like I said, it's not as true.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom