Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Rage trailer looks so boring. It feels like the endless stream of disaster blockbusters from 90s. Outerlands trailer was not good, but rage trailer is basically as generic as it gets.
The music and visuals in the Rage trailer were much more stimulating than the Outer Worlds one. The music was good and the gameplay did look like some mindless fun. That coupled with the kind of interesting locations that were highlighted was enough to make me want to see more of the game. Also, in what ways was the Outer Worlds trailer more original than the Rage one? They both look extremely generic.

Respectfully disagree.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Outer Worlds - 380k views, 38k likes, top of /r/games and /r/gaming with over 1000 comments each
Dragon age 4 - 95k, 5k, 250 comments

:slamdunk:

Biowhore BTFO.

Quillon

Arcane
Bioshock: New Vegas: Mass Effect: No Man's Sky. Let's see some gameplay.

Gotta finish it first.

Bioshock: New Vegas: Mass Effect: No Man's Sky: Borderlands: Destiny: Firefly: Rage: Elex...

giphy.gif

Damn, still missing something.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
That's why I haven't heard of it. Well, good then.

Borderlands isn't an MMO. It's just an, er, M. Like Diablo only in first person.

It has MMO quest design and world design. Quests that open up with a small window that has short descriptions that tell you to go to some general area and kill mobs and collect items, then come back with some general overarching story that's very loose.

It isn't literally a mmo, it's singleplayer or co-op, but it's p. much a MMO. It's more of a MMO than Dragon age inquisition is, which is also pretty MMO.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
PcGamer implied they will have a much more information shortly. So I'd imagine there is some embargo coming up later today and we'll see some indepth stuff from various outlets.

Borderlands isn't an MMO. It's just an, er, M. Like Diablo only in first person.

It has MMO quest design and world design. Quests that open up with a small window that has short descriptions that tell you to go to some general are and kill mobs and collect items, then come back with some general overarching story that's very loose.

It isn't literally a mmo, it's singleplayer or co-op, but it's p. much a MMO. It's more of a MMO than Dragon age inquisition is, which is also pretty MMO.

Nah Borderlands is basically Diablo 3 except first person and post-apocalyptic.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

It has MMO quest design and world design. Quests that open up with a small window that has short descriptions that tell you to go to some general are and kill mobs and collect items, then come back with some general overarching story that's very loose.

You use the term MMO too freely. Massive multiplayer online, which has shit to do with either Borderlands or DAI.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

I have to agree. Borderlands is basically a MMORPG which you play in single-player mode.

RapineDel

Augur
Gearbox were smart with Borderlands as they knew most console players weren't Diablo fans or MMO fans because those games/genres were PC only. They mashed those together into an FPS which was the popular genre at the time and we got Borderlands. It was new, exciting to console players who hadn't played any loot based games before which is the only reason it did well and when you add in co op it was in the right place at the right time.

Gearbox got lucky with this one as the actual game is a dull, fetch quest, run of the mill shooter with boring level design and the sequel is even more generic. There's a reason Borderlands is basically their only game of note.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
I like the facial expressions and lip synch. Somehow some games still do it terribly, when even Bloodlines managed quite well years back.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Looks decent. Graphics look better than Fallout 4 atleast, humor was a little bit heavy handed but that might just be the trailer, gameplaywise we didnt see much, setting looks interesting.

I dont get the Borderlands comparisons. Borderlands was a diablo-like lootfest shooter with boring gameplay and VERY CRINGY writing. If this turns out anything like that game, i wont touch it with a 10 feet pole. But i am pretty sure it wont be anything like that, as it is clearly marketed as New Vegas type game.

You guys remind me of all those "journalists" who wanted to sound smart and said that the new God of War is like Last of Us.

Also "corporations bad" doesn't seem to be interesting hook either.

Seems like theyre picking us up where fallout left us to be honest.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A YouTube commenter transcribed the message at the end:

Spacer's choice is not responsible for any feeling of vertigo, wonder, or hunger you may have experienced while watching this advertisement.

Spacer's Choice is a wholly owned subsidiary of Universal Defence Logistics.

By watching this advertisement, the viewer absolves Spacer's Choice of any liability throughout the Universe until the end of time.

This advertisement was tested on animals and found 89.5% safe for human viewing.

However, it is unsafe to view this advertisement while under the influence of Adrenatime [Diathylpolyoxilate and it's derivatives.].

The slogans "It's not the best choice, it's Spacer's Choice", "Taste the freedom with Spacer's Choice", "From Spacer's Choice, of course", and "You've tried the best, now try the rest" are trademarked and owned by Universal Defense Logistics, and may not be used without a form 1165SDL-UDL and a commitment of servitude of no less than ten years.

This advertisement is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Spacer's Choice is not associated with Trucker's Choice and anyone who claims otherwise will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Five Canids, two Raptidons, and a genetically unidentifiable space organism were all harmed during the making of this advertisement.

This advertisement was filmed on Spacer's Choice 100% Pure acetate - if this advertisement begins to smoke please withdraw to a safe distance and continue viewing.

Any endorsement of Spacer's Choice by the Halcyon Corporate Board is implied but not expressed.

Warning: pregnant women, the elderly, and anyone who has eaten in the last two hours should avoid prolonged exposure to this advertisement.

This advertisement should not be construed to represent any warrantee or guarantee, regardless of the actual words used or implied in the foregoing.

Due to a recent court decision, Spacer's Choice is contractually obligated to state that Auntie Cleo products do not contain cyanide, Cystypig gastric juices, mercury, sprat intestines, or human body parts despite any claim made to the contrary by Spacer's Choice.

Any similarity to persons living, dead, or in hibernation is purely coincidental.

Spacer's Choice has made the legally required minimum effort to insure that the information contained in this advertisement is correct at the time of it's release.

Nothing in this advertisement is intended as a substitute for the medical advice of physicians.

And remember, Spacer's Choice pre-sliced bred tastes fresh because it was!

Diggfinger

Arcane
Pretty excited about this:
- Looks like a beautifully realized world, with good doses of Boyarsky quirkiness thrown in (reminiscent of Fallout)
- Looks cool with the conversations being up and close a la Bloodlines
- I'm getting a No Man's Sky/Borderlands vibe here. The (masked) player character looks abit bland, but I guess I cant expect to get nostalgia-shocks like seeing a vault-suit etc.
- Personally, I'm happy its singer player but hope the lack of multiplayer wont hurt sales too much

Question marks:
- From descriptions seems it will have levelling, xp, companions - all the good stuff. Let's see how it turns out.
- How will shooting be handled? This is obviously first person, which Obsidian doesnt really have any experience with expect of course NV (which worked thanks to VATs). Wonder if a similar VATS-Like thing will be done to make it super cool? Tim Cain confirmed it will not use the Bloodlines/Deus Ex moving reticle based on skill.
- Turn-based is of course too much to ask, but at least some time-stopping/managing feature would be awesome!

Godspeed to Tim, Leonard and the team!
My Piggy-bank is ready
piggy-bank-260nw-522623017.jpg

ss_6b6777564affce8b3ac2c229f05a6021a8dc6e15.600x338.jpg
ss_1467a74c1101f1a2a503a87568ace9a8b1f5a613.600x338.jpg

Quillon

Arcane

Haven't they ashamed by themselves while handing out this text for Perlman to read?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom