Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Outer Worlds released on Steam and GOG

Awakened_Yeti

Arcane
Developer
this game is so rote, mediocre and uninspired. i cant tell if its honestly half-assed or just phoned-in

the gameplay, the story, the characters - the whole package is like a 3 day old bag of McDonalds leftovers

i was incredibly dismayed to see the black isle/obsidian flavor brought down so very low, unto the slime of maggots

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
So it's official. Obsidian is no longer a dev studio of choice for the Codex.

Can we list the preferred studios?
Stygian Software
Iron Tower Studio
Piranha Bytes
Larian - hotly debated
Atom Team
The Brotherhood
Whalenought Studios
Owlcat

What else?

Last edited:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

Stygian Software
Iron Tower Studio
Piranha Bytes
Larian - hotly debated
Atom Team
The Brotherhood
Whalenought Studios

What else?

Owlcat

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Stygian Software
Iron Tower Studio
Piranha Bytes
Larian - hotly debated
Atom Team
The Brotherhood
Whalenought Studios
Owlcat

What else?

Golden Era Games :ibelieveincleve:

Flying Dutchman

Learned
At the moment even inXile are waaaay ahead of new school Obsidian when it comes to writing or design. What have we become?? :negative::negative:

Are they? I didn't think Wasteland 3 was any better about dialogue and characters than Outer Worlds, really (neither was good, imo).

I feel like inXile still has a ways to go to catch up to even nuObsidian (and tech-wise, too).

Wunderbar

Arcane
At the moment even inXile are waaaay ahead of new school Obsidian when it comes to writing or design. What have we become?? :negative::negative:

Are they? I didn't think Wasteland 3 was any better about dialogue and characters than Outer Worlds, really (neither was good, imo).

I feel like inXile still has a ways to go to catch up to even nuObsidian (and tech-wise, too).
yes but TOW is a shallow bethesda game clone, while WL3 is a turn-based rpg.

Flying Dutchman

Learned

Is either of them well-designed, though?

Let's leave writing aside, but "writing or design" was the original comparison.

On writing, I think Obsidian's still a bit better than inXile on the writing front - not that either company is great or even good.

GloomFrost

Arcane

Is either of them well-designed, though?

Let's leave writing aside, but "writing or design" was the original comparison.

On writing, I think Obsidian's still a bit better than inXile on the writing front - not that either company is great or even good.
inXile had some really good writing in Bloom and some side quests in Torment. Also main story line quests and characters in W3 are better then anything in OW or POE2, Bards tale had some great moments. Btw just to make it clear I m not defending or praising inXile I m just pointing out how low Obsidian has fallen.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
inXile had some really good writing in Bloom and some side quests in Torment. Also main story line quests and characters in W3 are better then anything in OW or POE2, Bards tale had some great moments. Btw just to make it clear I m not defending or praising inXile I m just pointing out how low Obsidian has fallen.

I wonder if Ziets wrote those (wasn't the Bloom his?).

I mostly don't like Colin McCuck or Gavin-Jerkins' writing (plus McCuck seems like a defensive dick about Numenera - you fucked up, man, own it at least), but someone pointed out they'd left inXile, so maybe that'll improve the writing. I didn't recognize some of the other writers, though, but I didn't bother researching them.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I really feel bad for Leonard and Tim, eventho I probably shouldn't. They are very nice guys and competent devs.. so wtf happend? If anything happened that is.

What happen is quite obvious - they were bosses, who gives very vague generalized advices and such, but they didn't played their lead role in creating the game and shaping it. Instead, new, young, promising talents from C-c-c-c-california and Twitter made the game according to THIER artistic vision.
And their vision is SHIT - lots of fugly persons with acidic color palette.

Do not give these people money. You're only financing the gay communist agenda.

They are no more communists then shit I crapped out 2 days ago and that now travlling in pipes of sewer sytem in my lovely town, wake the fuck up.
Because, you know - my ass was sitting at a communistic school desk in the ass's younger years.

the rest of the world

...is pile of shit. Don't use that argument anymore.

So much diversity!
YdWxK7P.jpg

If only those faces are resemble the reality artists see around at least vaguely, C-c-c-california have huge genetics problems - no surpising at all.

Last edited:

Zibniyat

Arcane
...is pile of shit. Don't use that argument anymore.

You think you have constructed an argument by merely stating how something "is shit", and to have rebuked those who disagree with you, but I have to say that you have done no such thing.

The world of this game is intentionally made absurd, and a constant theme of a "clown capitalism", which let's face it is far from an impossibility looking at the clown world of today, ties things together well enough. It is actually rather interesting to consider what had happened with people's homeland from which they came, and whilst a small thing it actually has a lot of sense that game introduces "biological incompatibility" between colonisers and the new worlds. Most games, or fictional works in general, are perfectly fine with just presenting some obvious, mechanical and immediate concerns & obstacles (like if there is oxygen in the atmosphere and in sufficient amount, if there are necessary minerals to mine, whether there are some freak climate aspects like wild storms and similar), but fail to tackle this aspect of epigenetics. The sequel, if it happens, can draw upon both science and some philosophies to present challenges related to this particularly huge, even if seemingly subtle, issue.

Now I agree that some planets were not fleshed out sufficiently, and the use of wild colour palette did not help. Still, to just say how the world "is shit" is simply arrogant and wrong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom