Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Outer Worlds released on Steam and GOG

images

I just pulled up the first image result for Cub Cadet, but I do miss having a property where I could use one. Boomer as hell, but fun.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I don't like games that deliberately make their female characters ugly. It sounds like a stupid reason not not buy a game but there it is.

You're not being specific enough. Allow me to elaborate.

"Strong" (i.e. condescending and obnoxious), militantly unattractive women characters of at-best ambiguous sexual orientation sporting brightly-colored hairdos that look like they were accomplished using a weed trimmer are infallible indicators that there are turbo-progressive hyper-feminists parasitizing the game's development staff.

This in turn is an infallible indicator that all potential creativity and innovation has been crushed out of that development team. When you have to spend most of your energy making sure to 1.) include "everyone" (i.e., blacks, Muslims, Mexicans, and homo/transsexuals; good luck finding Native Americans, Mongolians, Peruvians, etc.), 2.) not offend anyone (except white people and Christians), and 3.) ensure that there is plenty of one-dimensional progressive pulpit-banging throughout the game and to simultaneously portray all dissenting viewpoints as villainous... well, you just don't have much energy left to innovate or create.

(Of course, the SJWs on staff are incapable of being creative or saying anything interesting in the first place, but the point is that they drag the rest of the team down to their level.)

I mean, Obsidian circa the 2000s was certainly comprised almost entirely of persons holding left-wing political views, but they were far less radicalized and infiltrated back then, and so were still capable of producing creative and interesting output. Even Josh's self-insert (Arcade Gannon) in New Vegas was enjoyable and entertaining, even a bit self-aware and self-satirizing.

Its the Broken Window Theory - deliberately ugly character design leads to a deliberately ugly game.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
images

I just pulled up the first image result for Cub Cadet, but I do miss having a property where I could use one. Boomer as hell, but fun.

Zero-turn riding mowers aren't fun for me to sell, because stupid old assholes run them into trees and then come back demanding refunds.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Look like you could go muddin in that thing. Have you seen those segway mowers?

e33401bfe0ad55bd6fdb61cad30a1832--summer-garden-my-daughter.jpg

i watched a few mexican riding similar ones in missouri. They had bigger tires though and i swear only 2 not 4.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Look like you could go muddin in that thing. Have you seen those segway mowers?

e33401bfe0ad55bd6fdb61cad30a1832--summer-garden-my-daughter.jpg

i watched a few mexican riding similar ones in missouri. They had bigger tires though and i swear only 2 not 4.

You'd be shot on sight for riding one of those 'round these parts. Bow season just started, and tragic hunting accidents are all but inevitable.

tindrli

Arcane
i tried 3 times to play it and....and.... i just couldn't.. maybe im too old for this shit... the game was so fuckin boring. story sux balls

gulagdandy

Novice
Just in case someone who's not an incel is reading this thread and wondering whether the game is worth getting: it's not. Beyond the (perceived) issues with wokeness affecting gameplay, the game is just badly designed in general.

The narrative is so satirical that it makes it impossible to get immersed in the world--the characters and factions are caricatures of clichés and the missions are bog-standard.
Combining a mute protagonist with a forced first person perspective means your character is basically non-existant, the blankest of blank slates; and gear, for the most part, has no aesthetic value.
The gameplay brings zero original ideas.

Parts of the game want to be a Wheddon-esque "Firefly: The video game", whereas other parts (most of the game) are laser focused on being an anti-capitalism comedy sketch. It doesn't work.

Last edited:

Seethe

Arbiter
Thanks Epic for preventing me from buying this. After so long I know it's mediocre swill so I won't bother with the Steam version either.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
...(perceived) issues with wokeness affecting gameplay...

Ah yes, the "perceived" issues with wokeness affecting gameplay. Let's unpack this, sweetie!

• game is badly designed in general
  • characters and factions are caricatures of clichés
  • gameplay brings zero original ideas
  • wishes it were Firefly
  • ham-fisted anti-capitalist propaganda reel

I fully agree with your excellent assessment. We didn't even really need the procession of dozens of ugly, cappuccino-skinned lesbianoids to tell us what fate has befallen Obsidian Entertainment—these are the direct and expected results of wokeness affecting gameplay.

"B-BUT YOU F-F-FUCKING INCEL NAZI BIGOT," (pardon me for putting a few words into your mouth here), "A GAME CAN BE BADLY DESIGNED, CLICHED, AND UNORIGINAL WITHOUT THE INTERCESSION OF RADICAL FEMINISTS AND LOW-T BETA MALES!" Quite true, but the involvement of radical feminists combined with low-T beta males guarantees that a game will be badly designed, clichéd, and unoriginal; and in any case, the aping of Firefly (which was the woke garbage of its day), the ham-fisted anti-capitalist propaganda, and the aforementioned procession of ugly lesbianoids seal the deal as to why the game was also badly designed and conceived.

Not that there was ever any doubt.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
At the end of the day, it's disappointing that the game is this poor. I mean, I had hopes because some of the big names of Troika were associated with this project. I guess they just didn't care, or went woke themselves. Everything just seems to have been rubber stamped without a care.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Seems the "Big Boyz" companies keep tripping up on the shit piles for PC gaming. I get the feeling the golden or platinum age of gaming is gone (or maybe nostalgia glasses are fucking up my memory).

gulagdandy

Novice
...(perceived) issues with wokeness affecting gameplay...

Ah yes, the "perceived" issues with wokeness affecting gameplay. Let's unpack this, sweetie!

• game is badly designed in general
  • characters and factions are caricatures of clichés
  • gameplay brings zero original ideas
  • wishes it were Firefly
  • ham-fisted anti-capitalist propaganda reel

I fully agree with your excellent assessment. We didn't even really need the procession of dozens of ugly, cappuccino-skinned lesbianoids to tell us what fate has befallen Obsidian Entertainment—these are the direct and expected results of wokeness affecting gameplay.

"B-BUT YOU F-F-FUCKING INCEL NAZI BIGOT," (pardon me for putting a few words into your mouth here), "A GAME CAN BE BADLY DESIGNED, CLICHED, AND UNORIGINAL WITHOUT THE INTERCESSION OF RADICAL FEMINISTS AND LOW-T BETA MALES!" Quite true, but the involvement of radical feminists combined with low-T beta males guarantees that a game will be badly designed, clichéd, and unoriginal; and in any case, the aping of Firefly (which was the woke garbage of its day), the ham-fisted anti-capitalist propaganda, and the aforementioned procession of ugly lesbianoids seal the deal as to why the game was also badly designed and conceived.

Not that there was ever any doubt.

Undertale, Life is Strange, Coffee Talk, The Red Strings Club... there's a lot of well-designed games that feature diverse characters, and queer and/or feminist themes. They may not be to your liking, but there's no denying they have interesting and unique design choices and are cohesive and engaging experiences. Talking about "low-T beta males" is a bit cliché in an of itself--maybe work on your anti-SJW insult repertoire ("Capuccino-skinned lesbianoids" is pretty funny though, not gonna lie.)

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Undertale, Life is Strange, Coffee Talk, The Red Strings Club... there's a lot of well-designed games that feature diverse characters, and queer and/or feminist themes. They may not be to your liking, but there's no denying they have interesting and unique design choices and are cohesive and engaging experiences. Talking about "low-T beta males" is a bit cliché in an of itself--maybe work on your anti-SJW insult repertoire...

I'm all for low-T beta males. They also designed those legendary games from past decades that we here at the Codex enjoy and worship.

The problem arose when Dworkinoids started taking up space in development teams, contributing little to nothing, and essentially turned aforementioned low-T beta males into their obedient pets and supporters. THAT is the problem.

Also, I practically invented the anti-SJW insult many years before anyone had even heard of the term. In recent years, the term "SJW," like "incel," has become very well known. I approve of this, but am now moving away from using the term because it's steadily losing its meaning and accumulating too many irrelevant connotations.

("Capuccino-skinned lesbianoids" is pretty funny though, not gonna lie.)

What's really ironic here is that that's always been my type of woman, visually anyway. I love flat chests, boyish bodies, punky short hairdos, a hint of androgyny, non-feminine clothing... call them tomboys, if you will.

Now, though, instead of accurately representing true daring, counterculture/subculture, actual rebelliousness, meaningful anti-authoritarianism, and so on, this look now represents something entirely different. It is now corporate-approved and mass-produced, it's in line with the platform of one of the two dominant political parties in the US, and it makes its way into damned near every single movie, TV show, and game being produced by Hollywood and AAA (and AA) studios. It's a look straight outta 1984 at this point, it's conformity rather than non-conformity, and it represents nothing more than chip-on-the-shoulder, fingers-in-the-ears feminism.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I'm all for low-T beta males. They also designed those legendary games from past decades that we here at the Codex enjoy and worship.

What's really ironic here is that that's always been my type of woman, visually anyway. I love flat chests, boyish bodies, punky short hairdos, a hint of androgyny, non-feminine clothing... call them tomboys, if you will.

Got a website for Tomboys and Tomgirls where I can pay to breed them properly?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
At the end of the day, it's disappointing that the game is this poor. I mean, I had hopes

Did you also have high hopes for the new Star Wars? The new Star Trek? The new Ghostbusters?

Do you have high hopes the next phase of the MCU will be good? The LotR show? The Netflix Conan show?

A pro tip: plant a calendar next your monitor so that you never forget what year it is.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
At the end of the day, it's disappointing that the game is this poor. I mean, I had hopes

Did you also have high hopes for the new Star Wars? The new Star Trek? The new Ghostbusters?

He didn't say he had high hopes, just hopes.

This is comparable to being whelmed. When in such a state, you are equally prepared to become either underwhelmed or overwhelmed.

I had faint hopes for The Outer Worlds... very faint, because I'd seen the recent Obsidian group photos portraying a development team lately peppered with dangerhair-bedecked, flabby lesbianoids. Also, I remember The Great MCA Bean-Spillage.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Undertale, Life is Strange, Coffee Talk, The Red Strings Club... there's a lot of well-designed games that feature diverse characters, and queer and/or feminist themes. They may not be to your liking, but there's no denying they have interesting and unique design choices and are cohesive and engaging experiences. Talking about "low-T beta males" is a bit cliché in an of itself--maybe work on your anti-SJW insult repertoire ("Capuccino-skinned lesbianoids" is pretty funny though, not gonna lie.)

I really think games like Undertale are well designed, despite it's diversity influence not because of it. Let's remember that one of the biggest influence was the perception a child had from the wierdness of the Mother franchise.

Also I am not talking about the rest as Life is Strange is shit and i never played the other two.

Still it is well to remember that you can and should disconnect artist from art and that some art can be disgusting and still be amazing and thought provoking.
When it comes to the outer world this is definitely not the case though, it's bland and it handles it's political message so blatantly hamfisted that its full on shit.

The anti-corporate setting is something i quite like normally and it's relatively easy to do but the game even fumbles that, its not funny its just silly.

I didn't quit because of something I disliked. I quit because I had no more interest to keep playing. I put it down one day with the intention to continue, but I never did.

That's a pretty damning statement. I had the same experience with PoE. I was 90% completed with the game when I noticed I'd much rather be doing something else. After months passing by of thinking I would just get through the last bit, I uninstalled it. I just couldn't care enough to play the last few hours of the game. It was the first time I had ever done something like that. That's when I knew Obsidian was finished.

Dragon

Augur
Just in case someone who's not an incel is reading this thread and wondering whether the game is worth getting

Thank you, I was wondering exactly that (after reading through half of the flat-earther-like "critiques" this thread seemed composed of).

But on the other hand, are there any alternatives in this style of gameplay and SF setting ?

Flying Dutchman

Learned
That's a pretty damning statement. I had the same experience with PoE. I was 90% completed with the game when I noticed I'd much rather be doing something else. After months passing by of thinking I would just get through the last bit, I uninstalled it. I just couldn't care enough to play the last few hours of the game. It was the first time I had ever done something like that. That's when I knew Obsidian was finished.

"The opposite of love is apathy." - Said by someone

Black Angel

Arcane
Undertale, Life is Strange, Coffee Talk, The Red Strings Club... there's a lot of well-designed games that feature diverse characters, and queer and/or feminist themes.
I couldn't care less for anything other than Undertale here, but the clear difference between that and this....piece of shit, is that those diverse characters and queer/feminist theme aren't shoved down people's throat. It's the same with New Vegas; we got Veronica-Christine, Arcade Gannon, and the queer perks, but they're just... *there*. As in, they're properly involved with the rest of the game, instead of sticking out like a sore thumb. Hell, New Vegas took it up a notch and handled the rape theme pretty well, though that doesn't stop the SocJus Keyboard Warrior from being 'outraged' about it and sent a tweet at Chris Avellone, even though the Lead Designer and Project Director of the game was Josh Sawyer :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom