Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I would agree that the general premise and setup for ToW was pretty good - I mean, that's why I tried the game, because the setting looked cool. I even liked the graphics, with the garish alien life, etc.

Where it falls down is, indeed, in the regular flow of lame dialogue and story beats, as well as in being almost completely without innovation and relying on the same old gameplay tropes that we've seen a thousand times before. There was no attempt to stretch or improve the genre whatsoever.

Wesp5

Arcane
I would agree that the general premise and setup for ToW was pretty good - I mean, that's why I tried the game, because the setting looked cool. I even liked the graphics, with the garish alien life, etc.

I imagine that Tim and Leonard came up with the premise and general plot and the junior writers messed it up, because Tim often said that he can't write and I never heard that Leonard wrote something either. I bet with Bloodlines it was the same at first, either them or Jason came up with the main story, but they were lucky that Mitsoda came along later to make it and the characters work.

Wesp5

Arcane
She's then going to bring people in and out of cryo at six month intervals to keep the colony afloat, presumably while looking to some kind of long-term solution, or waiting for Board resources that exist on the barely-mentioned other colonies to make their way to Halcyon.

But this would still mean 100% certain death for everybody, just later. If they bring only the same people out of stasis that couldn't find a solution to the starvation problem for all the years the colony has been established, why should this suddenly work? Why would other colonies move resources to Halcyon when they probably have the same problem and far reaching space travel isn't really kind of safe? Welles' idea is certainly better, like the reverse of the Hitchhiker's arks :)!

Butter

Arcane
Patron

I imagine that Tim and Leonard came up with the premise and general plot and the junior writers messed it up, because Tim often said that he can't write and I never heard that Leonard wrote something either. I bet with Bloodlines it was the same at first, either them or Jason came up with the main story, but they were lucky that Mitsoda came along later to make it and the characters work.
Who wrote Arcanum? I refuse to believe that Edward R.G. Mortimer is a real person.

Lemming42

Arcane
But this would still mean 100% certain death for everybody, just later. If they bring only the same people out of stasis that couldn't find a solution to the starvation problem for all the years the colony has been established, why should this suddenly work? Why would other colonies move resources to Halcyon when they probably have the same problem and far reaching space travel isn't really kind of safe? Welles' idea is certainly better, like the reverse of the Hitchhiker's arks :)!
I think you can kind of see the outline of what might have been the original plot if you squint. Akande's trying to keep the colony going as long as possible with the risk of it being in a permanent tailspin, and Welles is coming in with an all-or-nothing alternative that could wipe everyone out right away, or could save everyone.

Under Akande's plan, the appeal is that several more generations of people will definitely get to live in relative comfort, even if the colony's situation is deterioriating. She's also playing for time - theoretically, the longer she keeps the colony alive, the longer the chance of getting some kind of backup from elsewhere, or someone managing to find a solution. Welles' plan on the other hand could, potentially, wipe out the entire colony in a very short time period thanks to putting vastly more stress on the existing food shortages. So Akande is offering the guaranteed survival of the colony for another few generations, while Welles is saying "death or glory" and potentially risking depriving those generations of life, and gambling with the lives of everyone currently on the colony.

Though this is, again, me desperately trying to figure out what the hell the original story treatment might have been. In the final release, very little seems to make much sense, and the writers ensured there are absolutely no reasons left to even entertain the possibility of the Board's plan.

Yosharian

Arcane

Exactly.

Maldoror

Scholar
it's like doing a Legion playthrough of New Vegas. Which is to say, they're so patently and retardedly evil that I have no idea why I'm working for them other than that I'm forcing myself to see all the game's content.
Not even remotely comparable. It is very easy to be seduced by Caesar's philosophy and particular accounts of history and his ambitions if you are an "ends justify the means" type of person with a fetish for what the Courier describes to Vulpes as "the purity of the Legion's justice", not to mention the fact that they are actively rebuilding the world instead of repairing it with scrap and duct tape.

I get what you're saying about the Board and I'm inclined to agree, but it doesn't apply with the Legion. One is well written and compelling and one is flat and confusing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
PSA for people who didn't play/finish the game, the Sophia Akande character who Lemming42 believes was mistreated by Obsidian's woke junior writers looks like this:

sophia-akande-398216-normal.jpg

(But this is in accordance with my theory that The Outer Worlds is ultimately more sympathetic to its goofy white boy characters than to its hypercompetent girlbosses: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...ate-space-colony.130421/page-226#post-6547787)

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
The "woke" accusations are tedious - I think it's more a case of the writers just being completely shit more than anything else, and if ideology does come into it, the problem was that they were incapable of seeing the Board and anyone in it as decent, rather than anything to do with the sex or race of any given character.

However:
The Outer Worlds is ultimately more sympathetic to its goofy white boy characters than to its hypercompetent girlbosses
It's worth noting that Akande isn't a "hypercompetent girlboss" the way she's writtten; she's wrong about everything and the game outright refuses to let you even consider otherwise, and she's portrayed as a brutish idiot from the first instant you meet her. This is, I imagine, more because she's allied to the faction the writers despised and refused to give any depth or nuance to, rather than anything to do with her sex or race.

But... the quoted statement is actually true. It's hard not to notice, and it's the case throughout the whole game. Any female character in a position of power is portrayed as some degree of incompetent, uncaring, or outright malicious, while the majority of the game's male characters are well-meaning bumbling goofballs (most of whom were very obviously written by 20-something women). Female characters tend to only be written sympathetically if they're content with low stations, like Parvati. It's really fucking weird and it made me uncomfortable as hell while playing. I'm familiar enough with the type of online culture the writers likely come from to be able to explain why this kind of regressive shit ended up permeating a game that the writers probably believed was progressive, but that'd turn into me sperging online, so I won't.

It's beside the point, though. Akande could have been a white man and the game would probably have still treated the character and faction terribly, unless one of the writers felt protective of him in which case there'd be a terminal entry lying around somewhere to show that he was secretly a "cute scrungly little scrimblo" or somesuch.

Last edited:

ColonelMace

Novice
You can trivialize any fight even with difficulty enhancing mods by using the mind control rifle, which is not only a full on total disable but also counts as a silent weapon for some reason.

Gameplay really is beyond salvaging.
Didn't help me during my playthrough that I went for a min-maxed dude with very low dexterity : reload times were so bad I had to couple reloading animations with companions abilities (which doesn't stop your reload time although it kind of freezes the enemy in place).
It's really bad and probably top priority on the list of things to improve upon in the sequel. Might explain why they don't show anything (that and Avowed similarly slow and weightless gameplay which got legitimately frown upon by the greater public).

Child of Malkav

Erudite
You can trivialize any fight even with difficulty enhancing mods by using the mind control rifle, which is not only a full on total disable but also counts as a silent weapon for some reason.

Didn't help me during my playthrough that I went for a min-maxed dude with very low dexterity : reload times were so bad I had to couple reloading animations with companions abilities (which doesn't stop your reload time although it kind of freezes the enemy in place).
It's really bad and probably top priority on the list of things to improve upon in the sequel. Might explain why they don't show anything (that and Avowed similarly slow and weightless gameplay which got legitimately frown upon by the greater public).
Other than the gloop gun, prismatic hammer and the spectrum rifle from the dlc I didn't bother with the science weapons after I saw how weak they were and their utility extremely limited. You mentioned the mind control gun, that thing lasts for like 5 seconds or something and requires you to keep firing and have line of sight on the target and with all that the target can't kill anything worth a damn plus IIRC you are also detected while shooting it.

ColonelMace

Novice
You are actually not detected most of the time, and the controlled target will simply walk around while your companions fuck him up.
There's simply not too much thought that went into it.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
You are actually not detected most of the time, and the controlled target will simply walk around while your companions fuck him up.
Really? I'm misremembering this? I tried using the mind control gun and I always got detected. No matter whether I had LoS or not. And you had to keep firing the thing. The same crap with the shrink gun...it lasts 4 seconds or something. I mean, in that time I might as well just kill whatever I was looking at. The concept is good but they need to develop it further, maybe it's the "magic version" of the Tow universe. Instead of adding magic/psionic/biotic basically you have these guns that can have a huge variety of effects. But they need to be more powerful and last longer to be viable. The same thing with buffs in most games: they last between 5- 30 seconds. They should last for hours. They should be powerful and very expensive.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

"I was told to make it casual," - Tim Cain

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I agree. I believe I basically used a unique chaingun I found on the first map throughout most of the game and it was good enough! I only switched weapons to give myself some variety ;).
You only change weapons not to get bored. True. One of the easiest games ever made, together with Dishonored. At least for me. You can use any weapon with the same efficiency. If you actually build for it it becomes overkill. And ammo grows on trees.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom