Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Wesp5

Arcane
Stephenson has a ton of great ideas and loves to talk through them. I'm not a huge fan of his writing style, but he's someone I keep an eye on.

Stephenson's writing style is so bad, that I already forgot anything that happened in his books. Gibson on the other hand has the style fitting to his works, which makes his books twice as good!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Corona virus surely delayed the release by a month or two, like it has done with pretty much every game so far. If you compare Outer Worlds to FNV. FNV was done in a hurry in the first place, so them making the DLCs in a rapid pace "fits" the release schedule Bethesda mandated. At least some of the FNV DLCs could have done with more Q&A. Not sure how bug free Gorgon is.

How experienced is the team working on the DLC? If it's a junior/inexperienced crew working on it, that could easily add another month.

I don't think writing speed is an issue here. You should have the content ready and locked when the team starts working on it as the development cycle can't really afford long pauses or scratching some of the content because their ideas just didn't work.

The DLC should have been released no later than March if they were going by normal DLC release schedules. Consoles have 500 gb-1 tb hard drives, and quite a few games now require 100 gb of space; these things need to be released while they're still installed, that's the point of releasing DLC-sized content as opposed to old-fashioned out-dated expansions.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
DLCs - how does the Outer Worlds DLC compare to the Pillars DLC/expansion schedule?

Fallout New Vegas: Wouldn't QA on the DLCs have gone to continuing to fix and patch the core game since that continued to be a shitshow well after release? Probably took developer time, too?

To add insult to injury, I thought Bethesda actually hired more QA after the New Vegas experience because of what a mess it was (but not in time for the New Vegas experience).

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Stephenson's writing style is so bad, that I already forgot anything that happened in his books. Gibson on the other hand has the style fitting to his works, which makes his books twice as good!
The only Stephenson book I have read is Snow Crash, and I liked it. Yeah, beginning makes you want to kill yourself, but it gets better further.

But I do like Gibson more. His Spawl trilogy is oozing with atmosphere. Man indeed has a style.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Fallout New Vegas: Wouldn't QA on the DLCs have gone to continuing to fix and patch the core game since that continued to be a shitshow well after release? Probably took developer time, too?

To add insult to injury, I thought Bethesda actually hired more QA after the New Vegas experience because of what a mess it was (but not in time for the New Vegas experience).
Stop permeating this bullshit, New Vegas wasn't more of a mess on release than Fagout 3 was. And both share this abominable engine, though Obsidian had way less experience with it.

The Real Fanboy
Kotaku with an article today about how the ending options are too morally grey and depressing. :roll:
That article is soo dumb the writer thinks the ending where
you reunite Minnie and Olivia means they both work on Adrena-Time instead of working on a cure for the marauders. Like, it's so obvs they're working on a cure I don't know how the writer didn't totally get that

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Stop permeating this bullshit, New Vegas wasn't more of a mess on release than Fagout 3 was. And both share this abominable engine, though Obsidian had way less experience with it.

Wasn't comparing the two, was only saying New Vegas was a shitshow on launch. I didn't buy Fallout 3 at launch, so couldn't even speak to it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
DLCs - how does the Outer Worlds DLC compare to the Pillars DLC/expansion schedule?

They're taking much longer on TOW.

Base New Vegas was in decent shape after December.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Didn't I read that Outer Worlds had no DLC in the pipeline at launch like a lot of games do? I thought I did. If they started from nothing then 6 months makes sense. I'm sure they were also doing the second expansion beside it and that will come out quicker.

Also I played New Vegas right at release and don't remember it having more issues than a typical Bethesda style game. Console version was reportedly broken as hell though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Didn't I read that Outer Worlds had no DLC in the pipeline at launch like a lot of games do? I thought I did. If they started from nothing then 6 months makes sense. I'm sure they were also doing the second expansion beside it and that will come out quicker.

Also I played New Vegas right at release and don't remember it having more issues than a typical Bethesda style game. Console version was reportedly broken as hell though.

Nope, they were working on this as far back as June 2019. https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...go-to-new-thread.119594/page-232#post-6195582

Development. Hell.

Meanwhile, Murder on Eridanos is scheduled for "the first half of 2021" which doesn't bode well for it either if that ends up being June.

Quillon

Arcane
Murder on Eridanos

Is that the second DLC? They better give it to Kate D & co too! Otherwise she'd go and throw up on other gamez they are working on! :D If they are actually doing anything worth playing that is.

Codex Year of the Donut

Nope, they were working on this as far back as June 2019. https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...go-to-new-thread.119594/page-232#post-6195582

Development. Hell.

Meanwhile, Murder on Eridanos is scheduled for "the first half of 2021" which doesn't bode well for it either if that ends up being June.
Took nearly as long to develop one DLC as it took them to develop new vegas

KVVRR

Learned

Development. Hell.

At least they (probably) didn't crunch the devs while working on it

Codex Year of the Donut

Development. Hell.

At least they (probably) didn't crunch the devs while working on it
Why are you posting that like it's a good thing?

Quillon

Arcane
Isn't she heavily involved with Sawyer's project? She's his go to girl IIRC.

She can't be co-lead of the DLC and writer for another title at the same time I think. Unless Josh -too many hats- Sawyer told her otherwise.

Also Josh said there were 5 devs on his game and only 1 writer, then tweeted stuff about his writing on the project so the only writer could be him :P

Flying Dutchman

Learned

DLC: Apparently, Kate Dollarhyde was heading up the DLC at first, it looks like it switched to Carrie Patel, which might support development hell. Maybe Carrie was brought in because Kate sucks ass as leading a project or leading a story.

Private Division being told Tim and Leonard were on it when they weren't (if true) might also be a factor when that what discovered and corrected. Again, that's second or third hand news.

New Vegas: My PC version was pretty shit on release, I don't recall Xbox issues (didn't look into it), but the PS3 version has bad issues to this day (I booted it up and you can see orange cones for missing assets pretty frequently). Even Sawyer thought the PS3 version was shit but he blamed it on Bethesda's shitty engine, which I think anyone would agree with except Bethesda because they can't admit it.

I don't think Obsidian is known for having great programming talent even if you blame the engine, so that's a double dose of technical birthing pains for any of their game releases.

The Real Fanboy
I finally finished Peril on Gorgon btw and it was such a glow up and also like way sombre compared to the main game. It took me like 15 or 20 hours to complete it soo I don't know how people finished it in 4 or 6 hours unless they didn't pay attention to the dialogue and not reading the notes and stuff which adds so much to the story (even the final confrontation totally rewards you for exploring and finding out stuff because you then get to say that stuff to the final boss which unlocks an entirely different ending and you don't even need any persuade). Also Nyoka had like an entire character arc on Gorgon so I would totally recommend bringing her with you! The only really dumb thing is that once you complete the game there's no epilogue where you get to find out what happens in the future you have to complete the main game again to find out. It was definitely the best story in The Outer Worlds so I would totally recommend playing it!

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
(even the final confrontation totally rewards you for exploring and finding out stuff because you then get to say that stuff to the final boss which unlocks an entirely different ending and you don't even need any persuade).!

Interesting. I assumed the 150 persuade ending was impossible for me since I started at the level cap and could only get 30 points, but this sounds cool. I ended up with a "bad ending."

Flying Dutchman

Learned
I finally finished Peril on Gorgon btw and it was such a glow up and also like way sombre compared to the main game. It took me like 15 or 20 hours to complete it soo I don't know how people finished it in 4 or 6 hours unless they didn't pay attention to the dialogue and not reading the notes and stuff which adds so much to the story (even the final confrontation totally rewards you for exploring and finding out stuff because you then get to say that stuff to the final boss which unlocks an entirely different ending and you don't even need any persuade). Also Nyoka had like an entire character arc on Gorgon so I would totally recommend bringing her with you! The only really dumb thing is that once you complete the game there's no epilogue where you get to find out what happens in the future you have to complete the main game again to find out. It was definitely the best story in The Outer Worlds so I would totally recommend playing it!

Was Nyoka the only companion with a character arc?

One thing I can't stand about DLCs (if they don't warn you - if they warn you, it's slightly more bearable) is when they favor a companion that has more content and ignore the others.

The Real Fanboy
Was Nyoka the only companion with a character arc?

One thing I can't stand about DLCs (if they don't warn you - if they warn you, it's slightly more bearable) is when they favor a companion that has more content and ignore the others.
Nyoka is the only companion that actually likes the corps so
seeing the stuff on Gorgon has her realise that they totally suck
But I think every companion has a lot of stuff in the dlc, you can visit them in the ship after every big moment in the story and some of them will have new stuff to say about it! Whoever you bring with you tho will actually react and talk to you more about the main story after you complete parts of it. There's also a voice recording you can find about Edgewater that you can talk to Parvati about!

The Real Fanboy
(even the final confrontation totally rewards you for exploring and finding out stuff because you then get to say that stuff to the final boss which unlocks an entirely different ending and you don't even need any persuade).!

Interesting. I assumed the 150 persuade ending was impossible for me since I started at the level cap and could only get 30 points, but this sounds cool. I ended up with a "bad ending."
If you talk to Minnie first I think you only need to have the painting that's in her mom's office in Manufacturing to convince her to work with Olivia (tho you might also have to read on the computer in Ambrose Manor that she likes to paint and have talked to her about it before). Minnie then tells you what to say to Olivia to convince her!

Last edited:

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Nyoka is the only companion that actually likes the corps so
seeing the stuff on Gorgon has her realise that they totally suck
But I think every companion has a lot of stuff in the dlc, you can visit them in the ship after every big moment in the story and some of them will have new stuff to say about it! Whoever you bring with you tho will actually react and talk to you more about the main story after you complete parts of it. There's also a voice recording you can find about Edgewater that you can talk to Parvati about!

I feel like I'm interacting with a Kate Dollarhide account when I read a post like this. The Parvarti (hey, it's the author's story, not the player's!) hook really clinches it. And the exclamations! The exclamations! Is it enthusiasm?!! Or something more insane?!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom