Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Ryzer

Arcane
Loot in The Outer Worlds is fundamentally different from classic open world RPGs,
Not so much, it sucks ass like classic open-world RPGs

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Especially funny when they all contradict each other. Feargus supposedly forced everybody to make overly sexualized model of Katarina in Dungeon Siege, but somehow on TOW the same Feargus forced everbody to make every NPC into ugly butch lesbians.

Like, at least pick a story and stick to it.
To my knowledge, no one's ever blamed the art style on Feargus. That would be Boyarsky and Daniel Alpert.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thank you for the reasoned response, this was the impression I got in both cases. Temper your expectations, Codex, lol. There are countless great RPGs out there, one that is sufficiently "good" or "solid" is fine.
Brought to the correct thread.

Spike Obviously if you want to go ahead and try Outer Worlds, go ahead and try it and I hope you get something out of it. It's possible that you will find it "sufficiently good". But you are on the Codex for critical thinking and honest opinions. Sure there are a lot of dumb haters but look at the posters who are thoughtful and constructive in their opinions (not just that one guy who registered 2 weeks ago), and you'll find they don't like Outer Worlds either. It's absolutely not "solid" and I struggle to recommend it even as "good". At its best it is mediocre and at its worst it is a big disappointment. I tried hard to like it (I even paid for it), but in the end there are much better games to play out there.

OK, I'm done.

Spike

Educated
Thank you for the reasoned response, this was the impression I got in both cases. Temper your expectations, Codex, lol. There are countless great RPGs out there, one that is sufficiently "good" or "solid" is fine.
Brought to the correct thread.

Spike Obviously if you want to go ahead and try Outer Worlds, go ahead and try it and I hope you get something out of it. It's possible that you will find it "sufficiently good". But you are on the Codex for critical thinking and honest opinions. Sure there are a lot of dumb haters but look at the posters who are thoughtful and constructive in their opinions (not just that one guy who registered 2 weeks ago), and you'll find they don't like Outer Worlds either. It's absolutely not "solid" and I struggle to recommend it even as "good". At its best it is mediocre and at its worst it is a big disappointment. I tried hard to like it (I even paid for it), but in the end there are much better games to play out there.

OK, I'm done.
I understand completely, my IRL friend who I've known since I was 8 also finds it middling. That "new game" feeling must wear off really fast.

heightfax

Literate
Loot in The Outer Worlds is fundamentally different from classic open world RPGs,
Not so much, it sucks ass like classic open-world RPGs
I don't know about that one. I had almost no useful loot from any of the late game worlds and DLCs for the most part. Even buying from the venders sucked they would always bug out for me and let me buy from them once a run so I would have to wait till I really needed to hit a vender up to use one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom