Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Totaly did not expect they will go with a SSD drive, i wonder how much ps5 will cost now with those beefy specs, i wouldn't be surprised if it was 600 $

tritosine2k

Erudite
Good thing royale games going to swallow all that for breakfast ,so devs can ask about freeing up stuff anyway.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Release day

EhUlwqF.gif

Gerrard

Arcane
600 bucks for those specs, so they will be selling at 2/3rds loss?

a) they buy components in large quantities so they obviously get a discount
b) they almost always sell consoles at a loss (at least initially, as time goes by they start earning a profit)
I'm sure they can get 50% discount from a $1000 GPU, but then that still won't even be half of the production costs. Not that I believe these specs will be final anyway.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Of course the disc will always be preferred by someone that can spot the difference and that's enough to matter to them. Personally I prefer the convenience and free format upgrades of streaming (plus the fact I have less DVDs lying around cluttering the space up).

It's fine to not care about the difference or not see it, just saying there IS a difference and other reasons as well. You originally said there was "no point" to getting discs for movies so I'm just saying there is. I wish there wasn't, I prefer digital and went with downloads for games and music almost immediately. I just can't with movies, because the quality isn't there. It's a bummer. Also I fear future censorship and music changes.

Not that it matters, since people of your opinion vastly outnumber people of my opinion and I doubt discs for movies have more than 5 years left to go.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Is damn ps5 going to play 4k bluray movies? That was some bullshit on the ps4 pro.

Unless you're an audiophile I don't think there's much point to buying movies on disc anymore - if you wait a bit the digital versions can be had extremely cheaply (<$5) and some storefronts will even update them automatically when a newer version (ie 1080p to 4K) comes out. I was disappointed at first that PS4s didn't have a 4K disc drive but can't say I've missed it in reality.

Here's an article on the PS5 Audio chip if anyone's interested:

https://www.techradar.com/au/news/what-playstation-5s-3d-audio-chip-could-mean-for-gamers
Paying for four subscriptions (including HBO/Hulu) to have access to only SOME of the movies and TV shows that are out there doesn't seem appealing to me. Most streaming companies aren't that interested in providing older titles. I buy movies and TV shows mainly because I want to choose what I watch. I want to be able to watch it whenever without paying again and without having to wonder if it disappeared from the service. I expect some of the Disney titles to disappear from Netflix now that Disney is starting their own service. It's just gonna get worse as more of the big companies try to copy Netflix. Expect to pay for more subs in the future. Another big reason is the quality. You don't need to be an audiophile to see the difference between Blu-ray and streaming quality. It is easy to spot. Discs also have more audio options a lot of the time, and provide more information about the audio. I don't know if there is a difference in setting my receiver to DTS Neural X or Dolby Surround when selecting a DTS or Dolby soundtrack, but at least the package tells me. Netflix can't be bothered to put that in the menu or title screen, unless I'm missing something. Extras are nice. I usually don't watch them, but some are entertaining. Streaming services also do disappear. Ultraviolet and Filmstruck (which had a lot of the Criterion Collection titles) both ended last year.

I don't care if PlayStations can play UHD discs, though. I already have a UHD player. It cost me just 114 dollars. Navigating movies with a controller sucks. I hate how setting the PS4 controller down sometimes causes the triggers to be depressed, which rewinds and fast forwards the disc.

Also, I don't know where you're looking, but digital titles are often more expensive than Blu-rays. Take a popular title like The Godfather for example.

https://www.amazon.com/Godfather-Bl...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1554015073&sr=8-5

https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/the-godfather-the-coppola-restoration/id285494571

Or Sunset Blvd. 14 dollars streaming, 10 on disc.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunset-Boulevard-William-Holden/dp/B003PVPXOE

https://www.amazon.com/Sunset-Boule.../ref=tmm_blu_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Or The Sopranos. Seasons can be streamed individually on Amazon for 24 dollars. Or you can buy the boxset for 60.

https://www.amazon.com/Sopranos-Com.../ref=tmm_blu_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

https://www.amazon.com/The-Sopranos-Season-2/dp/B00KGTSMI2

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
To be fair he's talking about purchasing a streaming movie on Vudu or iTunes, not subscriptions. People often mix the two together but they're different things. Streaming subscriptions are ten times more popular though and the mainstream "future." Even streaming purchases are considered pretty niche, and have lower numbers than discs still by a large margin.

Well, it's going to be interesting to see how Sony becoming the censorship console will hurt them in the translation to the next generation. Seems like a fairly stupid move to make when you're building up to start at zero again.

DemonKing

Arcane
To be fair he's talking about purchasing a streaming movie on Vudu or iTunes, not subscriptions. People often mix the two together but they're different things. Streaming subscriptions are ten times more popular though and the mainstream "future." Even streaming purchases are considered pretty niche, and have lower numbers than discs still by a large margin.

Yep and I regularly get good movies here for less than $5 off iTunes (even cheaper because I buy discounted iTunes cards). Sure new releases cost more ($20-25) but most things more than a couple of years old can be had dirt cheap if you wait for a sale. You can also download them to a HD/NAS if you're worried about the biggest company in the world shutting down anytime soon.

Doubt I'll ever get rid of a player completely though as I do have a lot of legacy titles on disc.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yep and I regularly get good movies here for less than $5 off iTunes (even cheaper because I buy discounted iTunes cards). Sure new releases cost more ($20-25) but most things more than a couple of years old can be had dirt cheap if you wait for a sale. You can also download them to a HD/NAS if you're worried about the biggest company in the world shutting down anytime soon.

I mostly only buy what I love so it's not a huge deal for me to pay a little more for quality sometimes, and you can get discs super cheap too in the right sale. I'm getting Alien on 4k disc next week and it's $14.99, around $5 more than the iTunes stream. The quality difference is worth $5 to me, but if it's not to others that's their decision to make.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Those consoles are probably the last ever consoles, if you still can call it that way. Current business models are starting to make them irrelevant, however successful they are right now. They are going to be replaced by barebones PC and streaming devices.
It's going to be interesting how Sony and MS handle this.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
So, I guess my I7 4790k and 980GTX will last another 7 more years as long as I move a few sliders left.

Not realy, you need 2x 3x times more powerfull PC than a console to run the games, ps4 had a weak cpu (1.6ghz) and a weak gpu 1,4 teraflops, and look at the PC system specs that you need to run console ports, you need current PCs to run a ps4 game.

A current setup PC will NOT run a ps5 game, the ps5 for the first few years will outpast latest gaming PCs because there are no newer CPUs and PS5 will have the latest 7nm CPU that matches the IPC and GHZ of PC CPUs.

The CPUs development due to moores law is stagnant, meaning ps5 for the next 5-7 years will be matching top gaming PCs.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Those consoles are probably the last ever consoles, if you still can call it that way. Current business models are starting to make them irrelevant, however successful they are right now. They are going to be replaced by barebones PC and streaming devices.

I think there will be one more after about 8 years, the Ps6 will be the last one.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Perhaps those are the last Couch-based gaming devices, doesn't mean they're not gonna work on Augmented Reality or Holographic-based gaming devices as the next big thing. Who knows?

Spec improvements will not halt during PS5 era, and aliasing fully dissapears only on 8k, after 8k the eye does not see a difference, so ps6 will be a 8k native console and will be the last one as we know it.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
So, I guess my I7 4790k and 980GTX will last another 7 more years as long as I move a few sliders left.

Not realy, you need 2x 3x times more powerfull PC than a console to run the games, ps4 had a weak cpu (1.6ghz) and a weak gpu 1,4 teraflops, and look at the PC system specs that you need to run console ports, you need current PCs to run a ps4 game.

A current setup PC will NOT run a ps5 game, the ps5 for the first few years will outpast latest gaming PCs because there are no newer CPUs and PS5 will have the latest 7nm CPU that matches the IPC and GHZ of PC CPUs.

The CPUs development due to moores law is stagnant, meaning ps5 for the next 5-7 years will be matching top gaming PCs.

You do not take into account that while current games "require" modern CPUs on their requirement list, if you take a look at CPU usage for most AAA games it's usually around 40% or even below. I'm fairly confident this will result in better games, with, yes, higher CPU usage while still not being CPU limited.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
They are going to be replaced by barebones PC
like the steam machine?

Just because this failed doesn't mean that anyone won't get it right. I'm betting it's not going to be Steam, but PC builders themselves that are going to come up with solutions.

There are after all computers like that you can already buy : they just need to go mainstream and to call console makers on their pricing bullshit (lower entry price and then incredible bullshit we'll-also-be-taking-your-balls steep pricing).

It can be done. It appears inevitable and it actually seems weird that Sony and Microsoft are getting away with their bullshit and still manage to convince people that PC gaming is the most expensive option.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I think this is actually unlikely. The input lag will always make streaming inferior, and supposedly makes VR impossible.

Unless the future is slow/turn based and non-vr, there will be plenty of market left for physical PC and consoles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom