Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Normally I would agree with you. But I've just come from a thread about how consoles are now LITERALLY GAMING PCs.

So forgive me if I'm not that impressed.

Also I bought a PS4 shortly after launch, and to this day there are few truly good games for it. And the ones there are, aren't even exclusive anymore. I expect this decline to continue to the next one.

Edit: Unless you happen to be some kind of weeaboo degenerate. Plenty of Japaneseru games for the PS4.

I haven't owned a non-Nintendo console once my whole life, so you don't have to tell me the PS4 isn't worth it. I'm just talking general industry shit. They will sell well and dominate "AAA" game design and mainstream thought whether they compare to a 2020 gaming PC or not.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
bruh, ps4 pro can't even do 4k right now and they're going to jump all the way to 8k ? lmao

don't they know that performance deficit actually increases exponentially as pixel count rises? 8k isn't "twice as intensive" as 4k, it's actually like 12-20 times heavier... if not more.

ray tracing performance deficit also increases exponentially with pixel count as it's tied to per-pixel application methods currently. maybe they'll find a way around this but for the time being it's per-pixel.

tldr there is no way they'll be doing 8k on ps5, and definitely not with any kind of ray tracing either.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
In practice, 4K res only requires ~3x raw power of FullHD to achieve the same framerate, not 4x. But with more modern rendering tenchiques (Variable Rate shading, Primitive culling, etc.) this factor becomes even more uneven.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Yeah it's interesting. I doubt they use a GPU anywhere near as good as the 2080ti
Rumors though said, that the Navi GPU in the PS5 shall be a bit behind RTX 2080ti, so it would definitely be a strong console after all.

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah it's interesting. I doubt they use a GPU anywhere near as good as the 2080ti
Rumors though said, that the Navi GPU in the PS5 shall be a bit behind RTX 2080ti, so it would definitely be a strong console after all.

And i have grass growing on my back.

150-200W this is budget for whole console.
So they either came up with MCM gpu design or they will use mid tier gpu.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
You may be right... not sure where I got that rumor (can't find that article anymore). Something in the range RTX 2070 and Vega 64 sounds definitely more realistic.

sullynathan

Arcane
We already knew PS4 backwards compatibility was a given, what we need is PS3 backwards compatibility.
PS Now still exists to download some PS4, PS2 & PS1 games but it's not full compatibility for all games nor can you download the PS3 games which take up the majority of the library.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You may be right... not sure where I got that rumor (can't find that article anymore). Something in the range RTX 2070 and Vega 64 sounds definitely more realistic.

There's always rumors and puff-pieces like the one today about how amazing they'll be, then they come out and to get everything in a small box for $500 or less they had to go much cheaper. I really doubt there's anything like a 2070 in there, let alone a 2080ti. That said Morgoth is right, because of optimizations and standard hardware they get a lot more out of it. So even if they only approach a 2060 or whatever we'll still need much beefier cards to match.

DemonKing

Arcane
Is damn ps5 going to play 4k bluray movies? That was some bullshit on the ps4 pro.

Unless you're an audiophile I don't think there's much point to buying movies on disc anymore - if you wait a bit the digital versions can be had extremely cheaply (<$5) and some storefronts will even update them automatically when a newer version (ie 1080p to 4K) comes out. I was disappointed at first that PS4s didn't have a 4K disc drive but can't say I've missed it in reality.

Here's an article on the PS5 Audio chip if anyone's interested:

https://www.techradar.com/au/news/what-playstation-5s-3d-audio-chip-could-mean-for-gamers

We already knew PS4 backwards compatibility was a given, what we need is PS3 backwards compatibility.
PS Now still exists to download some PS4, PS2 & PS1 games but it's not full compatibility for all games nor can you download the PS3 games which take up the majority of the library.

Being built on the PS4 architecture makes me wonder if PS2 backwards compatibility is still going to be a thing too. Even if they've got it locked away on PS4.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Unless you're an audiophile I don't think there's much point to buying movies on disc anymore - if you wait a bit the digital versions can be had extremely cheaply (<$5) and some storefronts will even update them automatically when a newer version (ie 1080p to 4K) comes out. I was disappointed at first that PS4s didn't have a 4K disc drive but can't say I've missed it in reality.

I've tested iTunes and Vudu streaming in 4k HDR on a 300Mbps connection and discs still look considerably better. More fine detail and less compression issues. It's not even anywhere near a contest if you have good equipment and give a rat's ass. Not to mention there's many remasters not on streaming that are on disc, from labels like Criterion or Arrow, plus stuff you can only get by importing because of rights issues. Movies are the only thing I still buy on disc, for good reason.

DemonKing

Arcane
I've tested iTunes and Vudu streaming in 4k HDR on a 300Mbps connection and discs still look considerably better. More fine detail and less compression issues. It's not even anywhere near a contest if you have good equipment and give a rat's ass.

Of course the disc will always be preferred by someone that can spot the difference and that's enough to matter to them. Personally I prefer the convenience and free format upgrades of streaming (plus the fact I have less DVDs lying around cluttering the space up). My kids have grown up with streaming and they get frustrated when they have to watch something on disc because of the authentication times, annoying unskippable anti-piracy videos and clunky navigation and I can't say I blame them.

Not to mention there's many remasters not on streaming that are on disc, from labels like Criterion or Arrow, plus stuff you can only get by importing because of rights issues. Movies are the only thing I still buy on disc, for good reason.

That's true, but for the vast majority of people who are looking to buy new release 4K mainstream films it won't matter.

Personally I'll be happy if the PS5 includes a 4K Blu Ray (and it should) but it wouldn't be the end of the world if it doesn't.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've tested iTunes and Vudu streaming in 4k HDR on a 300Mbps connection and discs still look considerably better. More fine detail and less compression issues. It's not even anywhere near a contest if you have good equipment and give a rat's ass.

Of course the disc will always be preferred by someone that can spot the difference and that's enough to matter to them. Personally I prefer the convenience and free format upgrades of streaming (plus the fact I have less DVDs lying around cluttering the space up). My kids have grown up with streaming and they get frustrated when they have to watch something on disc because of the authentication times, annoying unskippable anti-piracy videos and clunky navigation and I can't say I blame them.

It's time to beat some sense into your kids because it seems that they are on the way to decline. At least the discs are yours and you can watch them whenever you want, and you are not on the mercy of Netflix.

bruh, ps4 pro can't even do 4k right now and they're going to jump all the way to 8k ? lmao
Yeah, I doubt that anyone confirmed that 8k is for gaming. It will be for playing movies and that's all.

DemonKing

Arcane
It's time to beat some sense into your kids because it seems that they are on the way to decline. At least the discs are yours and you can watch them whenever you want, and you are not on the mercy of Netflix.

I was talking about streaming purchased movies rather than Netflix streaming.

Yeah, I doubt that anyone confirmed that 8k is for gaming. It will be for playing movies and that's all.

When though? I doubt 8K titles are going to be mainstream for sometime given a lot of people haven't even upgraded to 4K yet.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I was talking about streaming purchased movies rather than Netflix streaming.
But doesn't that also have the danger of losing those movies if the provider goes bust? Sure, we were forced to do the same with gaming and Steam, but we had no other choice, physical distribution basically died. For movies, we still have an option with discs.

When though? I doubt 8K titles are going to be mainstream for sometime given a lot of people haven't even upgraded to 4K yet.
Sure, I'm not advocating 8K, I think it is just a buzzword for the PS5.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Yes, and the PS4/Xbox One were going to be super duper powerful blowing every PC out of the water for the next 57 years. Then they couldn't even run games at the 1080p/60 they advertised the consoles as.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

ps5 will do native 4k and 8k will upscaled like on ps4 pro (which means don't use it and do native 4k)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom