Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

GrainWetski

Arcane
That's actually better than I expected. If current consoles with shit hardware can output 4K with 30-50fps, I think there is a chance that the next gen can pull out 60fps.
So they'll be catching up to ~2012? Good stuff.

I hope the next generation comes out with shitty specs so that I don't have to upgrade my PC for several more years.
Doesn't matter how horrible the console hardware is, they'll increase the specs regardless of any actual graphical improvements like they've been doing since the 3shitty generation. Gotta keep people buying new hardware.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
That's actually better than I expected. If current consoles with shit hardware can output 4K with 30-50fps, I think there is a chance that the next gen can pull out 60fps.
There was 4K at 60fps in 2012? Show me that alternative universe where that happened with reasonable priced hardware. Even today you need top PCs to pull that off.

Last edited:

deama

Prophet

I hope the next generation comes out with shitty specs so that I don't have to upgrade my PC for several more years.
Doesn't matter how horrible the console hardware is, they'll increase the specs regardless of any actual graphical improvements like they've been doing since the 3shitty generation. Gotta keep people buying new hardware.
Ye but if they "improve" it by 10%, then I'll be happy.

sullynathan

Arcane
ok. i could easily keep this going if i said "only base consoles allowed" or said "yeah but only on the xb1x" but this is a really dumb thing to spend time on.

if the statement is that "it is already possible to play games at 4k and at 60fps on console" then I can concede that it is possible, and put aside the obvious caveats of only a select few games and only on 1 specific console and with a variable resolution.
You should concede because you're wrong

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
get back to me when you test each game in the console library to make sure it never dips below 60fps. this was my original position, remember? I said you can't game at 4k60fps on console, you said you could, and I said not without frame-rate dips and/or not on true 4k. My statement is still true. You can't game at true 4k with no frame-rate dips on console.

When we bother to include the "amateur" consoles then it becomes even less possible to play 4k60fps (if not outright impossible). Maybe, maybe the next generation will be enough to play this-generation games at 4k60 and next-generation games at 4k30.

nothing personnel kid.

Last edited:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The demands on the CPU for 2022 PC gamign will be immense.

Console games historically use every sliver of power available and they deliver 30 FPS with frame drops mostly.

For 4K 2022 gaming gamers are going to need a full investment, the smart money will be saving their dollarydoos for a full PC rebuild in 2021, since the console developers will use every scrap of the 8 physical Ryzen cores then release poorly made ports

What are the odds the GPU is based on Polaris because AMD can't get it's shit together at all though omegalul

tritosine2k

Erudite
Variable rate shading can fix framedrops but it's an image space method, therefore not much better than dynamic resolution. The real deal is per object variable rate shading that works alongside LOD transitions. Nowadays the player moving faster than a pre-defined threshold usually breaks LOD, an exception is doom reboot,as it has no LOD.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Only thing I'm excited about in upcoming hardware is better anti-aliasing techniques.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Sony just patented a system backward compatibility with PS4 PS3 PS2 and PSX support.

Sony Japan has just registered a new patent that allows the retrocompatibility of the hardware with previous consoles. It is a system to be applied in a future machine, PS5, and that allows the CPU of the new console to be able to "interpret" the central unit of the previous machines. The author of the development was Mark Cerny, the architect who designed the PS4 structure, and the patent, which has been filed under number 2019-503013, briefly explains what it consists of.
The aim is to make the applications designed for the previous consoles (legacy device) run perfectly on the most powerful hardware, and is focused on eliminating the synchronization errors between the new consoles and the behavior of the previous ones (PS4, PS3, PS2 and PSX). For example, if the CPU of the new console is faster than the previous one, data could be overwritten prematurely, even if they were still being used by another component.
Thanks to the new system, PS5 would be able to imitate the behavior of the previous consoles, so that the information that arrives at the different processors is returned in response to the "calls" of the games. The processor is able to detect the needs of each application and behave as if it were the original "brain" of each machine, cheating the software. This technology does not prevent PS5 could also have additional processors to have compatibility with machines whose architecture is difficult to replicate, as in the case of PS2.

Yesterday we explained the SRGAN process that allows you to perform "remastering by emulation" (another of the elements that Sony has patented, and converts images in SD resolution in 4K using artificial intelligence.​

0eb7886e.jpg

30fe5622.jpg

http://blog.hokanko-alt.com/archives/54822370.html

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
How depressing to know that the PS4 generation has ended with so few impressive titles to its name. Nowhere near comparable to the PS1, 2 or 3 era.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
How depressing to know that the PS4 generation has ended with so few impressive titles to its name. Nowhere near comparable to the PS1, 2 or 3 era.

Dark God of Soy Souls
Dark Steampunk Souls
Dark Ninja Souls
Madden 16 17 18 19
Pixel art indie shit 1
Pixel art indie shit 2
Pixel art indie shit 3
Pixel art indie shit 4
Pixel art indie shit 5
Pixel art indie shit 6
Pixel art indie shit 7
Pixel art indie shit 8
Pixel art indie shit 9
Pixel art indie shit 10
Pixel art indie shit 11
Pixel art indie shit 12
Pixel art indie shit 13
Pixel art indie shit 14
Pixel art indie shit 15
Pixel art indie shit 16
Pixel art indie shit 17
Pixel art indie shit 18
Pixel art indie shit 19
Pixel art indie shit 20
Pixel art indie shit 21
Pixel art indie shit 22

Am I missing anything??

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

Dark God of Soy Souls
Dark Steampunk Souls
Dark Ninja Souls
Madden 16 17 18 19
Pixel art indie shit 1
Pixel art indie shit 2
Pixel art indie shit 3
Pixel art indie shit 4
Pixel art indie shit 5
Pixel art indie shit 6
Pixel art indie shit 7
Pixel art indie shit 8
Pixel art indie shit 9
Pixel art indie shit 10
Pixel art indie shit 11
Pixel art indie shit 12
Pixel art indie shit 13
Pixel art indie shit 14
Pixel art indie shit 15
Pixel art indie shit 16
Pixel art indie shit 17
Pixel art indie shit 18
Pixel art indie shit 19
Pixel art indie shit 20
Pixel art indie shit 21
Pixel art indie shit 22

Am I missing anything??

Oh almost forgot the big one:

Dark Final Fantasy Souls XXX

and soon to be released:

Darker Japan Ninja Souls

Well... they do have Devil May Cry 5. So there's one good game at least.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom