Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
, PCs will always overpower consoles
wrong

If PC and console have the same hardware, console will have an advantage, because PC is limited by the OS.

The only reason I can think of is making machines for their new services from the ground up (i.e. streaming). That, or VR, which does require a resolution and framerate one or two orders of magnitude more than what current consoles can achieve.

again wrong, streaming and VR is only a fad and the next gen of consoles will not change it either, physical discs are not going anywhere.

GrainWetski

Arcane
The PS4 and Xbox One variants were the first time in ages that consoles did something right: the exact same machine except with more muscle so you can keep your games without crossing your fingers for retrocompability support. And yet, here we go again: pick any current game you enjoy and run a rand100 at whether you will still be able to play it.

The thing with graphics is, PCs will always overpower consoles and you should always be pushing for more, but the PS4 and Xbox One are largely good enough that they should keep a stable 1080/60 with reasonable settings on any game, including visual powerhouses like the upcoming Metro Exodus. The only reason I can think of is making machines for their new services from the ground up (i.e. streaming). That, or VR, which does require a resolution and framerate one or two orders of magnitude more than what current consoles can achieve.
Weird how most games on those systems run at 20-30 FPS.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
PlayStation 5 powered by 7nm AMD Navi GPUs and Ryzen, 4k 60fps target.

A principal programmer at Sony associated with the firm’s Advanced Technology Group is working with AMD’s Ryzen technology, improving the Zen core’s micro-architecture support within the LLVM compiler stack – a key component of a tool used in the PlayStation 4 development environment. Of course, there is no PS4 product using the Ryzen processor, leading to speculation that this is related to a prospective next-gen PlayStation 5 console currently in development.”

AMD will catapult computing, gaming, and visualization technologies forward with the world’s first 7nm GPU and Cpu in a console

https://www.ultragamerz.com/the-son...ored-specs-release-date-price-amd-ryzen-navi/

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Are people who still buy consoles the same kind of people who buy a 100$ iphone X SE with a mandatory 70€ monthly pay off to a phone service provider and who think it's a good deal ?

opener

Literate
Next gen consoles are straight like economic cycles. First PS4 was released in 2013 and it is 5 years ago. IT and technology are not in the same place.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Benchmark confirming the new AMD card will be at 1080 level, which means the PS5 gpu will have 9-10 tflops, which will be a mid level card by 2020

Vega-20-2160p-Standard-Final-Fantasy-740x370.png

Zer0wing

Cipher
Are people who still buy consoles the same kind of people who buy a 100$ iphone X SE with a mandatory 70€ monthly pay off to a phone service provider and who think it's a good deal ?
1. Not really. Millions are gamers who involuntarily sit in this cabbalic dependency to just play games that are not on PC.

2. I request to withdraw any funds from people with such mindset as described in this quote and put them on brown tommy and a black tea diet until they heal themsevles from american dream syndrome. Immediately.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
1. Not really. Millions are gamers who involuntarily sit in this cabbalic dependency to just play games that are not on PC.

Games like....?

Zer0wing

Cipher
Games like....?
Japanese animeware in various genres, from jrpgs to danmaku or any ps4 exclusive? The latter sells in millions of copies just because there are millions of people who has to pay 400$ for a glorified BD player.

deuxhero

Arcane
A lot of the wording is blatantly non-professional. "Can bypass original PSVR breakout box if used" is a strong contrast to citing products by model. As is "with developers having the option of using on-the-fly asset replacement to bring higher quality assets into older titles."

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There's no fucking way they ship it without at least a 256 GB SSD either. SSDs are 1/10th the price of what they were 8 years ago and having an SSD does so much.

Honestly at this point the only question in my mind is 2019 or 2020, 2021 seems too far away.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
There's no fucking way they ship it without at least a 256 GB SSD either.

Nah, you need big space because ps5 games will be like 100+ gb, and big space ssd are too expensive compared to hdd

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There's no fucking way they ship it without at least a 256 GB SSD either.

Nah, you need big space because ps5 games will be like 100+ gb, and big space ssd are too expensive compared to hdd

The size of those game installations could come down considerably if the game developers spent even a small amount of effort reducing them I feel, uncompressed audio files abound. Atm they literally do not give a shit and do whatever the fuck, there are all sorts of tech solutions.

Could also potentially return to split installations where you "install" part 1 of AAAA 4k cutscene title from the single Blu Ray, then you install part 2 halfway through.

And honestly I feel like it just has to be done, if you assume the average installation size is 60GB that's still a lot of games on a 256, and then they can segment with a 512 for the Pro version.

Especially in 2020. wholesale prices per GB for el cheapo SSD are 15 cents for the glorious Cruxial MX500 today.

In 2019/2020 that's adding 10-15 dollars to the bill of parts for a 400/500 dollar console at launch assuming that Sony can get it down to below 10 cents a gigabyte with increasing memory fab yields and bulk purchasing, and it's a killer feature.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I admit I might become insane enough to buy a PS5 for Death Stranding.

For some reason, I want to experience that game without spoilers.

On the other hand, the probability of being shit is over 9000.

Idk.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom