Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

deama

Prophet
Are there any gpu leaks?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
console specs determine PC games' specs. Remember that even western RPGs like DOS, PoE, etc are now made with CONSOLE port in mind which means they're made with console specs as a target.

SlamDunk

Arcane
console specs determine PC games' specs
For the most part. That's the inconvenient truth, these days.

That's why, as a PC gamer, I'm really hoping that next generation consoles will have 16GB of RAM and an NVMe SSD... and no, SSHDD won't do because the streaming speed from mass media (textures etc.) should be as high as possible. I wish the next generation would finally say "good riddance" to HDDs.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
faster CPUs also mean devs can finally begin developing new compression algorithms to both reduce texture sizes and additionally speed-up texture streaming.

Zer0wing

Cipher
PS3 already had a 7 core CPU at 3.2 GHZ. It means nothing.
Not really. Six of those, the SPUs function much like modern GPU cores only bit more versatile but still governed by main CPU core which is the equivalent of one Xenon (X360 CPU) core. It truly means nothing.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I've read some forums where console-derps think they are getting 4k 60fps for $400. Not happening. Maybe 1440p 60fps. Maybe.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
there is no game that runs at 60fps at 4k on any console. they all dip a little, into mid-50s or low-50s, usually during effects-heavy cutscenes or scenes with heavy use of volumetric effects (like in the current resident evil 2 remake where the console versions run with the PC's 'Low' version of volumetric lighting), and some dip a lot, sometimes even into low-40's, like the recent Ass Creed games or the console port of Deus Ex MD as another easy example.

True 4k 60fps is that it never dips below 60. Ever. And that doesn't exist on any current-gen console.

EDIT: needless to say current-gen consoles also rarely, if ever, output true 4k either. I know PS4 Pro never does, and xb1x only in some heavily-optimized games; usually it's just some reconstruction method or another or just 1800p or less.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Number of "shadow casting lights" is a better metric and one they dont want you to know about. Display fov wont match ingame fov so 4k is still next to useless 99.9% of the time not to mention 4k displays have motion blur, because response time on oled is just another bullshit metric and theres no real pressure to improve lcd-s.

Last edited:

deama

Prophet
I hope the next generation comes out with shitty specs so that I don't have to upgrade my PC for several more years.

sullynathan

Arcane
it's already happening
It's borderline possible with a 1080ti. You aren't finding those for $400. Never mind the markup for the other components required for a console.
I meant there are console games doing that now for that price, it won't be feasible for all console games next gen because console developers love pushing graphics at 30 fps.

there is no game that runs at 60fps at 4k on any console.
You're wrong about that and specifying that they can't drop below 60 for even a second is unnecesarry.

Full 4K 60

Super Lucky's Tale
Halo Master Chief Collection
Mantis Burn Racing
Killer Instinct
Fifa 2017 & 2018
P.E.S. 2017 & 2018
NBA 2K17 & 2K18
Resident Evil 7
Paladins
Neon Chrome
Diablo 3
Madden 18
Path of Exile
The Walking Dead: Final Season

Full 4K

Checkerboard, dynamic or adaptive

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
if it drops below 60 then it's not 60 frames per second, like you'd get on a PC with mid-range hardware and above.

tritosine2k

Erudite
4k60 wont fix crappy LOD implementations and artists still spend time generating LOD instead of adding content. Not to mention the last display showing 60hz right was plasma.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
ok. i could easily keep this going if i said "only base consoles allowed" or said "yeah but only on the xb1x" but this is a really dumb thing to spend time on.

if the statement is that "it is already possible to play games at 4k and at 60fps on console" then I can concede that it is possible, and put aside the obvious caveats of only a select few games and only on 1 specific console and with a variable resolution.

Kitchen Utensil

Next gen will be as much 4k/60 as the 360/PS3 were fullHD consoles, the XOne/PS4 were 1080/60 consoles and X1X/Pro are 4k consoles, i.e. not really.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
there is no game that runs at 60fps at 4k on any console. they all dip a little, into mid-50s or low-50s, usually during effects-heavy cutscenes or scenes with heavy use of volumetric effects (like in the current resident evil 2 remake where the console versions run with the PC's 'Low' version of volumetric lighting), and some dip a lot, sometimes even into low-40's, like the recent Ass Creed games or the console port of Deus Ex MD as another easy example.

True 4k 60fps is that it never dips below 60. Ever. And that doesn't exist on any current-gen console.

EDIT: needless to say current-gen consoles also rarely, if ever, output true 4k either. I know PS4 Pro never does, and xb1x only in some heavily-optimized games; usually it's just some reconstruction method or another or just 1800p or less.
That's actually better than I expected. If current consoles with shit hardware can output 4K with 30-50fps, I think there is a chance that the next gen can pull out 60fps.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
just hoping it's not too powerful CPU wise and that I can keep my i7 4790k for the entirety of the ps5 génération and only change my graphic card

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom