Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Lots of minimum wage workers gonna get that $30 a month deal going and then fall back on payments and have shit credit for years as a result.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Well, I guess I'm not building a new PC this year.

3070 is the same price and will blow it away. Unless you've got an ancient processor I don't see why you'd make that decision. Though to be fair I don't understand being a PC guy and then switching to a closed platform without mouse aim either.

Gerrard

Arcane
$499 is a good price for the Series X if it performs as well as Digital Foundry and others are saying. Looking at it as a PC guy I can of course beat it by spending the same amount on a 3070, but only because I have everything else already.
You also need a 4K/HDR/120Hz TV. That's $1000+

mk0

Learned
3070 is the same price and will blow it away. Unless you've got an ancient processor I don't see why you'd make that decision. Though to be fair I don't understand being a PC guy and then switching to a closed platform without mouse aim either.
You're just trolling me now, I'm not spending 1k on an equivalent PC when I can get a console that's just as good for half the cost which comes with a disc drive too, the choice is almost too easy. I'm fine with keeping my current PC for old games and emulation, the PC DIY market can go fuck itself with current prices.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You're just trolling me now, I'm not spending 1k on an equivalent PC when I can get a console that's just as good for half the cost which comes with a disc drive too, the choice is almost too easy. I'm fine with keeping my current PC for old games and emulation, the PC DYI market can go fuck itself with current prices.

I guess that's a yes on the "ancient processor" question?

Anyway, I get why consoles are popular and why console gamers like new machines, but... I'm a PC gamer. I play PC focused games like shooters, Western RPGs and adventure games. If I somehow fell behind and could not upgrade my PC, I would just play older titles until I could. I cannot fathom switching from PC gaming to Xbox and using a controller to play games like Cyberpunk and Doom Eternal, never mind stuff like Wateland 3, but that's me. Obviously you should do you.

Pegultagol

Erudite
I wonder if Sony will now match Series X prices...pretty sure they will. Or if they're delusional, will price it $50 higher.

And I see how Series X is going to be attractive to a lot of people, $499 honestly gets a lot of components like similar level CPU to 3700K, RDNA2 with Dx12 level improvements...that SSD alone might be worth more than $100. And added to that $499 is actually $599 in Canadian rubles, which is quite a bargain since current conversion rates peg it at $650...with 3070 now being estimated at upwards of $700 to 800 here, it's a difference that can't go unnoticed. I already pay like $100 per month for telecom, so I think I can take another $20 in Ultimate pass fees that's going to get every MS published titles from day one, get backward compatibility, xCloud, etc.

For PC, I really have no issue playing at upsampled 1080 on 1440p monitor, with some sharpening applied, and 3 year old RX 580 can run games like Wasteland 3 (or Unity derived games that somehow are in majority of PC titles I play) pretty well. I don't see the reason to upgrade now, at least until the consoles hit their stride and make most of the new graphical features that get filtered down to us plebs.

mk0

Learned
I guess that's a yes on the "ancient processor" question?
Series S is $299 and it comes with a 8c/16t zen 2 cpu clocked at 3.4Ghz/3.6Ghz(no smt). Literally anything that's not a 9900K, 3700X or better is now less than potato tier.
Anyway, I get why consoles are popular and why console gamers like new machines, but... I'm a PC gamer. I play PC focused games like shooters, Western RPGs and adventure games. If I somehow fell behind and could not upgrade my PC, I would just play older titles until I could.
Money is not the issue here, value is.
I cannot fathom switching from PC gaming to Xbox and using a controller to play games like Cyberpunk and Doom Eternal, never mind stuff like Wasteland 3, but that's me. Obviously you should do you.
If the game in question is designed around a mouse heavy UI, then sure there's no way around that. However I don't see what the problem with using a controller is, I play all my PC games on controller if I can, even FPS games. When I was younger I clocked my fair share of hours on competitive shooters with M/KB, the appeal of a more precise method of input pales in comparison to being able to lean back on my chair and play with a controller, it's also more fun compared to wrecking a game when the controls are second nature to you. Then again I'm one of those weirdos that prefer clunkier control schemes from older games, so whatever.

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/09/introducing-xbox-series-s/

Introducing Xbox Series S, Delivering Next-Gen Performance in Our Smallest Xbox Ever, Available November 10 at $299
by Liz Hamren, Head of Platform Engineering and Hardware • Sep 9, 2020 @ 6:00am

At Team Xbox, we always strive to put you, the player, at the center of the gaming experience, letting you play how and where you want and delivering experiences for all types of players. It’s with this spirit in mind that we’re excited to introduce you to Xbox Series S, an all-digital next-gen console designed to deliver everything that is core to next-generation gaming – faster load times, higher frame rates, and richer, more dynamic worlds – in our smallest Xbox ever. Available at $299 (Estimated Retail Price), Xbox Series S will join Xbox Series X this holiday giving you another way to jump into the next generation.

Featuring a compact new design in Robot White, Xbox Series S is the smallest Xbox ever created and was built to easily fit into your home and lifestyle. Xbox Series S is also perfect for digital-first gamers and our fans who want to bring their games with them wherever they play. Xbox Series S includes our new Xbox Wireless Controller, also in Robot White. This controller will also be available as a standalone purchase this holiday and includes all of the same features we’ve detailed to date such as improved ergonomics, our hybrid D-pad, textured grip on the triggers, bumpers and back, as well as the new dedicated Share button.

XboxSeriesS_Inline1.jpg

Xbox Series S Delivers a Leap in Generational Performance

Xbox Series S delivers the same next generation speed and performance that define Xbox Series X. It is similar in CPU and has the identical I/O performance as Xbox Series X, making it easier for developers to deliver the same great performance, while rendering at a lower resolution. Xbox Series S delivers 4x the processing power of an Xbox One console and supports experiences up to 120fps, more immersive and responsive gameplay with support for hardware-accelerated DirectX Raytracing and Variable Rate Shading. In addition, Xbox Series S includes 512GB of custom SSD storage and is powered by the Xbox Velocity Architecture, delivering more than 40x the I/O bandwidth of an Xbox One resulting in faster loading times, steadier frame rates and Quick Resume for multiple titles.

You’ll also experience the same great audio on Xbox Series S that you will on Xbox Series X with Spatial Sound, including support for Dolby Atmos. What’s more, support for Dolby Vision via streaming media apps like Disney+, Vudu and Netflix will be available across Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X at launch, and Dolby Vision support for gaming will come first to our next-gen Xbox consoles in 2021.

The primary difference between Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S is in resolution. Through talking to our customers, we found that many of our fans prioritize framerate over resolution, so we wanted to build a console that didn’t require a 4K TV. Xbox Series S delivers approximately 3x the GPU performance of Xbox One and was designed to play games at 1440p at 60 frames per second, with support for up to 120fps. With the increased efficiency we get from the next generation AMD RDNA 2 graphics architecture combined with the virtual memory multipliers enabled through the Xbox Velocity Architecture, Xbox Series S will deliver performance and experiences well beyond the raw specs. In addition, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S share the same development environment, tools and capabilities, all of which enable developers to build and release their content across consoles more easily while still taking advantage of the unique hardware capabilities of the next generation.

Access to Great Games from Our Partners and Xbox Game Studios

With both Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, you will be able to play thousands of digital games across four generations of gaming and bring your Xbox One gaming accessories forward with you. When you see a compatible Xbox game in the digital store, whether it’s original Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One or a next-gen title, you can purchase and play that game on either Xbox Series X or Xbox Series S.

With Xbox Series S combined with Xbox Game Pass it’s never been easier to join the Xbox family. With Game Pass you get online multi-player and instant access to a digital library of over 100 high-quality games, including all Xbox Game Studios titles the same day they release. Additionally, we just announced that coming this holiday, Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and PC members will get an EA Play membership at no additional cost. This means Game Pass members will have access to more than 60 of EA’s biggest and best console and PC games like FIFA 20, Titanfall 2 and Need for Speed Heat, as well as titles from some of EA’s most popular franchises like Battlefield, Mass Effect, Skate, and The Sims.

In addition, games built for the next generation will be Optimized for both Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S. Titles that support Smart Delivery will automatically detect what device you are playing on – Xbox Series S, Xbox Series X or Xbox One – and deliver the best version of the game available to you, ensuring you only ever have to purchase your games once. Like Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S supports the Seagate Storage Expansion Card where you can add 1TB of additional storage with the full speed and performance of the Xbox Velocity Architecture. While your previous generation Xbox titles can still be played directly from your existing external USB 3.1 hard drives, to receive all the benefits of the Xbox Velocity Architecture and optimal performance, games Optimized for Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X must be played from the custom internal SSD or a Seagate Storage Expansion Card.

We’re expanding Xbox All Access this holiday to bring you more ways to jump into this next generation. With Xbox All Access, you can get a next generation Xbox with 24 months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate with no upfront cost, for just $34.99/month for 24 months for Xbox Series X and $24.99/month for 24 months for Xbox Series S. If you are already an Xbox All Access customer, you can take advantage of our flexible upgrade options. We’re expanding Xbox All Access to fans in 12 countries this holiday, expanding to Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Norway, Poland, South Korea and Sweden. For details and supporting retailers and partners visit Xbox.com/XboxAllAccess.

Whether you are looking to upgrade your Xbox 360 or Xbox One or are new to the Xbox family, we have two great consoles to choose from this generation – the most powerful console ever built in Xbox Series X and the smallest, most affordable next generation console with Xbox Series S. On behalf of Team Xbox, thank you for making Xbox the best place to play and we can’t wait to enter the future of console gaming with you this holiday.

Tech-Specs-1.jpg

TL;DR

Same shit as XSX, but rendering at lower resolutions.

Kitchen Utensil

Kem0sabe

Arcane
If you want exclusives, you buy a PC.
People buy consoles for the convenience.
True, especially when it comes to franchises like sports and CoD. That being said, exclusives also play a big part, xbox was built by Halo, and with this new generation sony is arriving with a bunch of ip's that pull big numbers.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
You're just trolling me now, I'm not spending 1k on an equivalent PC when I can get a console that's just as good for half the cost which comes with a disc drive too, the choice is almost too easy. I'm fine with keeping my current PC for old games and emulation, the PC DIY market can go fuck itself with current prices.

3070 with its pathetic 8gig will be a terrible buy for 500 notes as well.

Amd 4600s need to be 8 core minimum otherwise they can fuck off.

I'm looking at a grand to replace my vega and cpu if prices continue to be shit.

3070 ti another year away probably, so If big navi and ryzen deliver console rape, I'll consider it.

I dont give a fuck about server browsers riddled with cheating cunts and hacks, mkb or 144 gayboyhertz anymore. I care about 4k and a solid HDR implementation that works and is guaranteed everytime.

I love PCs, but you're right, the value is a pisstake these days.

mk0

Learned
I guess I shouldn't be surprised the console war thread is filled with console gamers.
I didn't spend all this time and effort learning about PC hardware and planning builds just to get ripped off by overpriced hardware. I can understand paying a $200-$300 premium for individual components, but 2X the price of a console is bullshit.

I'd rather be an informed console pleb who knows he's getting the best deal than an ignorant pc fanboy who can't read a spec sheet, so by all means smash that retard button, as long as I'm right I don't give a shit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
as long as I'm right I don't give a shit.

It's not really about being "right." If you prefer playing everything with a controller and don't think PC hardware is worth paying anything extra for then you're a console gamer. Just own that, it's no big deal. My original reply was to the idea of a PC gamer getting an Xbox instead because it's only $499, but you're not a PC gamer so that explains that and it's all irrelevant.

soulburner

Cipher
I never thought a PC vs console war is coming back. The discussion is pointless. It's not all about the money, it's about different tastes, different ways of playing, different games and different non-game related tasks one can do on both device types. Are modern GPUs too pricey? Sure. Without proper competition we will have to live with it - let's hope AMD can compete with Nvidia's Ampere and if Intel becomes competetive and relevant in the GPU world... we might have some normality back.

Deciding to drop PC gaming and go console is not a bad thing in any way. It's a matter of preference, even if the main reason to switch stems from cost.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
I guess I shouldn't be surprised the console war thread is filled with console gamers.
I didn't spend all this time and effort learning about PC hardware and planning builds just to get ripped off by overpriced hardware. I can understand paying a $200-$300 premium for individual components, but 2X the price of a console is bullshit.

I'd rather be an informed console pleb who knows he's getting the best deal than an ignorant pc fanboy who can't read a spec sheet, so by all means smash that retard button, as long as I'm right I don't give a shit.

Suck it up and buy a mid tier ampere with a soon to be obsolete memory arrangement for 4k at the bargain price of £460. Be a reeeeeel peecee gamer. Games which require this hardware that are 99 percent console ports.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
4k is still a distant dream for 98% of PC players.
Not even a priority for most cause to get 4k/60 you need to put down some serious money.
I still use my 1080p/144hz screen that is 6+ years old.

One thing Im concerned is not the GPU ability to stay even with the consoles, its this other shit.
These consoles come with 8c/16t CPUs and nvme ssds and in a few years time bunch on these games are gonna come optimised to use all that shit.
The amount of PC gamers that currently have a 8 core CPU, nvme ssd and a decent gfx card is still in single digits. I dont have it, I barely know anyone that got it.

Going by Steam hardware survey where half is on a 1060 and a quad core CPUs we're in for some dark times. Imagine being called a peasant by some playstationfag. Uuuhhh, shivers

Perkel

Arcane
XSX at 499$. A lot lower than i expected.

I wonder if MS is doing old console trick where they foot the bill for part of console in order to get money from subscriptions.

That being said. 499$ for a 8 core ryzen, 12TF modern GPU, 16GB vram. 1TB next gen NVME drive and rest needed to be self contained.

It would be actually great PC if they allowed for windows installation.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
First time I might actually consider getting a console since PS2. Gamepass seems like a nice idea as well. Though I'll wait for some games worth playing first (and that don't run on GTX 1060), which may or may not come.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I prefer gaming on PC because it offers more options and more variety. I can always find some way to do something that I want to do with my gaming experience on PC, be it from something as simple as using a sharpening shader or running a game at settings that aren't possible anywhere else, to something slightly more complex like using scripts or programs like ReWasd to organize the way button behavior operates on every game to suit my very personal tastes.

For example I dislike clicking in the left analog stick to sprint in modern games, so I use a program that makes it so that whenever it detects that I'm moving the left analog stick I can simply tap the right-bumper button and it will toggle the function. It's a very minor quality-of-life thing but I've grown very used to it, and if I was playing the game on console I would have no way of doing it the exact way I like doing it because it's not a simple button-swap.

Hell, simply being able to play a game on a window layered on top of the Shoutbox so I can get the gist of what people are typing while I play a game or emulate some console exclusive at 4k is already more than reason enough to prefer playing on the PC for me; because it suits varying personal tastes and can easily accomodate different people's routines and preferences.

It's everything from the little things to the big things that make PC gaming a far superior experience to that found on console; it's not one single thing and it isn't any arbitrary feature, it's the personalized experience tailered specifically and exclusively to your own tastes and needs. That simply cannot be found on console and never will be found on console, and for good reason.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Just waiting out for the inevitable release of the 8080.

What happens once it reaches 1000? Nobody knows. Though I predict it will have a lot of flops in it.

Last edited:

Cromwell

Arcane
The main thing for me is that series X will be a more affordable upgrade then my PC would be (since I also would buy a new processor for emulation and that would mean a new Motherboard etc), and the Computer isnt so outdated that I cant play Games comfortably that are PC specific like Point and Click Adventures, Strategy Games etc. My woman can use the Xbox while I play on my PC while she would have to use mine if I only updated that since I dont have nearly enough money to bring to PCs up to snuff. I can throw my old Xbox to Gamestop or similar where they currently go for a bit over hundred € and I am curious if that amount gets a bit higher if in turn you buy your new console directly there. All in all seems like a good deal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom