Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Random Adventure Game News Thread

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Secret Files 3 is out on Steam today.

Two previous games weren't too shabby, some nice old skool puzzles; I didn't even know there was a sequel.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Secret Files 3 is out on Steam today.

Two previous games weren't too shabby, some nice old skool puzzles; I didn't even know there was a sequel.

Holy Shit! I Really liked 1 and 2 (well 2 was better than 1, 1 has the WORST ENGLISH TRANSLATION OF A VIDEO GAME OF ALL TIEM!!!! It's hilarious!). Will have a look around and see what the word on the street is. Thanks!

Wolfus

Arcane
I liked more SF1 [my english is too bad to mind bad english translations :)]. SF2 wasn't bad but it was a bit boring.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I didn't see it mentioned here, even after searching the thread, but there's an adventure game/interactive novel coming out on November 16th this year called Nicolas Eymerich, Inquisitor: The Plague -- Chapter 1: The Inquisitor. It's going to have several languages: English, Deutsch, Francais, Italiano, and the :obviously: Lingua Latina (with actual Latin dialogue being voiced!)

Official site:

http://www.eymerich.it/

It's also multi-platform as it's going to be on PC/MAC, iOS and Android.

Ovg

Cipher
Well, I was pretty much piss drunk, as seen in my all-too-liberal use of emoticons. A monocled gent like me does them in moderation you know. It's all about reputation.

kaizoku

Arcane
Several promotions at GOG right now.

What are your thoughts on the following games? Are they time well spent?
- Atlantis series?
- Post Mortem -> Still Life -> Still Life 2 ? AFAIK Still Life 1 is good, and the second one sucks. What about Post Mortem?

I will be getting Syberia 1 and 2.

Is there anything else worth mentioning?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Several promotions at GOG right now.

What are your thoughts on the following games? Are they time well spent?
- Atlantis series?
- Post Mortem -> Still Life -> Still Life 2 ? AFAIK Still Life 1 is good, and the second one sucks. What about Post Mortem?

I will be getting Syberia 1 and 2.

Is there anything else worth mentioning?

I think Atlantis is one of those bad Myst clones and that's why I've been avoiding it like plague, could be wrong though.

Post Mortem is a good game with great atmosphere, much better than Still Life. I finished without encountering any major bugs IIRC, so maybe it has been patched since DR played it. Still Life is Okay-ish but I found some puzzles and a chunk of the writing annoying and moronic. I haven't tried Still life 2 since the first game didn't give me much incentive.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
I haven't tried Still life 2 since the first game didn't give me much incentive.

You didn't miss much. Still Life 2 kinda went full retardo, has some bad production values and moronic puzzles - notably, it SERIOUSLY overuses stupid keypad combinations. That completely irrelevant book you found 10 minutes into the game? Odds are, the date it was published is the combination required to a completely unrelated MASSIVE CLEVE'S BUNKER hatch. And it does that left and right, so yeah.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Oh and about Cyberia, I'm not a big fan. I found the writing sub-par and the puzzle design bad. The writing in Cyberia is roughly the opposite of Jane Jensen. There is ZERO historical and geographical research, the writer makes up a couple of fake cities and areas in eastern Europe and crams them up with various puzzles that make no sense and are sloppily tied to the plot with the notion that a local billionaire was obsessed with automatons and he placed one automaton opening-door puzzle on every door.

In order to make the merging of a fantasy world with the real world believable, you need to use as much real world areas and events as you can and use them wisely, in a way that the transportation into the fantasy world fells natural. In Cyberia everything is made up, and thus it felt fake to me. The game seemed to me like it was written by some immature manchild that just wanted to write the story as soon as possible with out any actual effort.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
I never played Syberia for longer than 15 minutes because I always played it in the potato version, which happened to have incredibly annoying voice acting. And I was always too lazy to non-remove an inglese version :M

Ringhausen

Augur
I disagree, the moody pseudoworld in Syberia was perfectly fine, not every game has to be like GK. And the way they mixed real world triviality with fairy tale-ish wonder was splendid.

Modron

Arcane
How exactly do you return to an island sunk during a powerful volcanic eruption?

Maybe it rose again due to further volcanic activity? However, that raises further questions like why is it teaming with dense jungles and animal life.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Are they going anywhere with the prototypes or is this just a publicity stunt / money raising brouhaha?
Apparently they do it every year and it is where most of their recent game concepts have come from (Stacking, Costume Quest, etc.), but they're making it more public this year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom