Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Random Adventure Game News Thread

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Adding an entire new age, really would not fit for this (as much as it would be nice). It would basically be Myst PLUS a new Age!: The Game, which is not really the point of this. Bringing this up to 21st century technology is good. Though I agree, it is just Myst with much better graphics, but I still remember all the puzzles.

But what a great experience that was, my first time, and not using any walkthroughs. Such a great game.

Redlands

Arcane
Adding an entire new age, really would not fit for this (as much as it would be nice).

You're right; going by the naming convention we have to wait for realrealMyst/realerMyst/unrealMyst for the extra Age.

:troll:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Product Release - Valve
Jazzpunk is Now Available on Steam and is 20% off!*

Jazzpunk is a comedy adventure set in an alternate reality Cold War World, plagued with corporate espionage, CyberCrime, and sentient martinis. Gameplay is inspired by spoof comedy films and cartoons of yesteryear, with a focus on weird gadgets, exotic locales, and open-world style exploration.

*Offer ends February 14th at 9 am PST.

j2Iz88X.jpg

For example, early in the game, a photograph is required to pass a security camera. You could use a photo of a human. Or, you could photocopy your butt, hold the copy to the camera and have your identity validated as one Mr. Butts. That's one gag. There are dozens if not hundreds, coming in all shapes and size. To describe them is to spoil them.

Hm.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just got Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle on Steam after trading for a 50% off coupon. Doubt it's good but I'm running out of games to play :lol:

WaffleStomper

Literate
http://www.jonas-kyratzes.net/2014/02/09/project-update/

Jonas Kyratzes (The Sea Will Claim Everything, The Book of Living Magic) just released news on his website regarding 3 lands of dream games. One for an upcoming exhibition which should be playable within a week... titled The Matter of the Great Red Dragon. The second is a mid-sized project made available to all Ithaka of the Clouds indiegogo supporters (yes!!) titled The Council of the Crows. Then of course he's back to Ithaka of the Clouds.
screen.jpg

very exciting information for me since The Sea Will Claim Everything was one of my favorite text-based adventures in the past decade ^_^

trustno1code

Prophet
Ever wondered what Grim Fandango would play like if it was point'n'click?

Mouse interface for Grim Fandango:
tobiaspfaff said:
I got annoyed by the Grim Fandango's tank controls, so I made a classical point&click interface. The game is now 100%(*) playable with mouse only.
(*): It's not well tested yet, though, so probably still full of bugs.

Ok, I built some binaries for v0.1 on Mac and Windows:
Grim Mouse v0.1 - Windows zip
Grim Mouse v0.1 - Mac dmg

These should work like the regular version of ResidualVM, so no copying of stuff needed. They include a Readme with the mouse/key shortcuts and other information.

Have fun testing!

ys6g.png

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Just my little bit of news: Downfall was released on GOG ( http://af.gog.com/game/downfall?as=1649904300 )

I played through this last weekend and it's become one of personal favorites as far as adventures go :) I highly recommend playing Downfall before playing The Cat Lady :D

I highly recommend Downfall as well. It's so...weird, but in a good way. The puzzles, dark atmosphere. It just works. :incline:

Last edited by a moderator:

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Just my little bit of news: Downfall was released on GOG ( http://af.gog.com/game/downfall?as=1649904300 )

I played through this last weekend and it's become one of personal favorites as far as adventures go :) I highly recommend playing Downfall before playing The Cat Lady :D

I highly recommend Downfall as well. It's so...weird, but in a good way. The puzzles, dark atmosphere. It just works. :incline:

For me, finishing the game without one peek at a walkthrough or video or anything of the sort was a sort of small accomplishment that no achievement unlocked! can replace :)

Last edited by a moderator:

trustno1code

Prophet
The Samaritan Paradox is coming sometime soon-ish this year.
There was an Indiegogo campaign for this that didn't go very far unfortunately, glad to see he charged through and Screen7 picked it up.

Planned release is for March, there's also a short demo "showing the intro, the first room, and some key members of the cast" on the authors blog.

Last edited:

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Not sure if it was posted before, but this source has some new screenies of The Whispered World 2 and more info on the storyline.

Sixteen year old Noah, the young boy Sadwick once saw in the reflection, is all grown up and on the verge of losing his little sister Renie to the perils of war wreaking havoc in the real world. Separated in chaos of the bombs falling all around them, he soon finds himself alone and back in Silence where another war is raging on. In a bid to find his little sister in the curious world of dreams Noah, in the guise of Sadwick, joins a band of rebels fighting against The False Queen.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Sick. The Samaritan Paradox looks straight out of B-budget 1993.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Mmmmmmmmm baby, Rex Nebular. Best (only) shitty Space Quest clone the world has ever seen.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Do you remember point-and-click adventure games? By this time next year, they will only be a distant memory:

While first-person games using a mouse and keyboard have become second nature throughout the years, many adventurers dream of ditching such peripherals for more natural controls. Untold Games’ upcoming first-person sci-fi adventure Loading Human promises to take a big step in that direction by utilizing the Oculus Rift VR headset to translate players’ real-world movement directly into the game.

The story revolves around writer Andre Gibson and his wife, Michelle[...]Players will assume the role of Andre, exploring his memories and solving whatever challenges arise. The game is designed from the ground up to use the Oculus Rift, so players can expect not only to experience it through Andre’s eyes, but also to fully interact with the game world as well, using Rift-compatible motion controllers like the Sixense Stem and Razor Hydra, which translate the player’s arm and hand movements into the game.

Although no specific completion date has yet been revealed, the developers indicate that Loading Human is expected to release sometime later this year, on PC and Mac.

http://www.adventuregamers.com/news/view/26154

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom