Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Random Adventure Game News Thread

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by Jaesun, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Don Peste Arcane

Don Peste

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Boleskine Arcane

Boleskine
    Here's a nice video on the game's inspirations and development:

^ Top  
  3. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    I half expected a meme game about Commander Boreale from Dawn of War. Alas, no dice.

^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The Digital Antiquarian on UNDER A KILLING MOON: https://www.filfre.net/2020/07/under-a-killing-moon/

Somehow I wasn't aware until now that Access Software were a bunch of Mormons from Utah.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    For what it's worth, I've harbored a long grudge against the "lack the courage of their convictions" or "sacrifice the story" type arguments, since they were deployed against Primordia on the theory that Crispin ("a tonal wrecking ball") was inconsistent with the story's mood and themes. My objection to the argument is that it's perfectly fine to say, "The game's story sucks because you can't mix oil and water, and the serious moments and comedic moments constantly undermine each other." But the inference that the author wrote that story that way because he "lacked courage" or whatever is stupid.

Chris Jones wasn't an "amateur writer" at the time Under a Killing Moon was released. He was a professional writer with multiple game releases under his belt. Of course, he wasn't the writer of Under a Killing Moon -- Aaron Conners, whom DA describes as having saved the series' writing, had that role. But Jones wouldn't have let Conners undermine Jones's character, story, or franchise. At the time, Jones (and Conners) were more accomplished writers than Charles Ardai, who actually was an amateur fiction writer (though he'd go on to be a professional, too).

The tone in Tex Murphy games isn't an accident or a compromise; it's a deliberate authorial decision made by highly successful professional writers, who works gained a serious following. Moreover, the serious stuff is no more the "real" mood in Tex Murphy than the slapstick stuff is.

The reality is that a mix of goofiness and seriousness has been a mainstay of the adventure game genre for years. Unavowed deftly employs Looney Tunes style humor in the scene where the dryad keeps spawning behind the genie and stabbing him in the back a dozen times and has various other pratfalls -- and Dave is a very successful professional writer, too. Gabriel Knight has its Naked Gun style disguises. Pretending that all of these highly successful games, made by experienced professional writers, are the product of lacking the courage of grimdark convictions, rather than a conscious desire to have silliness alongside darkness, strikes me as bad psychoanalysis.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Yeah, I would even say that the very nature of Adventure gameplay mandates a certain amount of silliness, to accommodate the counterintuitive character of the genre's puzzles (and they have to be counterintuitive, or the game would be too easy).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Tramboi Cipher Patron

Tramboi
    Yes, this, the puzzles, and overall the suspension of disbelief about the inventory, the exploration, the dialogs, and everything that happens so that it becomes a game.

So guys, what is the adventure game with the best "seriousness * quality" value ? Genuinely interested.
    "Interrogation" was pretty serious, recently. "Observer" too. Both don't have inventory puzzles.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Maxie Arcane Patron

Maxie
    What really sets the tone for the genre for me is the sheer chutzpah of adventure game designers letting the player character carry inordinate amounts of items without the tedium of weight limits or inventory tetris, making for absurd visual jokes like the animation of George Stobbart producing all sorts of awkwardly large items from his jacket

• Agree Agree x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Whispers of a Machine, probably. But its puzzle-solving is also less about items and more about using MC's augmentations. It's also fairly easy, though not down to Unavowed level.

^ Top  
  10. Tramboi Cipher Patron

Tramboi
    Thanks, man.
    I've got it in my backtrack but didn't begin it.
    I was thinking "in the whole gaming history" (but maybe Woam is history stuff, though).
    Goetia was great, too.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Well, it's older than Interrogation ;)
    Historically, I think maybe Shadowgate?

^ Top  
  12. Tramboi Cipher Patron

Tramboi
    I'm not looking for the oldest ones, I'm looking for the best ones :)

Edit: AMFV must be in there, probably. It is damn serious.

^ Top  
  13. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Divinity: Original Sin
    You'll recall I don't exactly hold Maher in high regard, we've had this conversation a couple of times over the last few years and it turns out you and I agree completely on this :P

The Ardai review is interesting to me personally. At the time UKM came out (and remember, it came out before even Phantasmagoria) I was wowed by the technology. Then the CGW review came out and I thought sacrilege! how dare he slam the game so hard! Ardai's writing always came across as a bit pompous and self-important (I couldn't believe when I found out, much later, that he must've been in his early 20s when he started writing for CGW; he always sounded like an even older curmudgeon than Harlan Ellison, and that's quite a feat) and I was willing to write off his opinion as contrarian and irrelevant. After finishing the game and thinking it over I realized he's not wrong. The problem he has with it isn't necessarily that Jones and Conners tried to mix the serious and the comedy (he actually praised BASS for doing the same thing just months before - in before Roxor), but specifically that they undermine a pretty grim plot with cheap and lame humour. Ardai doesn't complain that there are gags in there, but that they are being stuck where they don't belong in a way that destroys the atmosphere the same writers try so hard to build. And you know what? when it comes to UKM specifically I can't say I disagree with him. I'm a pretty big fan of mixing comedic elements in a serious story, and I've seen it and praised it in pretty much every medium. And you know which game pulls this off much, MUCH better? none other than The Pandora Directive, written by and starring the same exact people (having Adrian Carr direct certainly helped, but that's the FMV direction, not the writing). They managed to pull it off decades later with Tesla Effect too. Chris Jones is no amateur, by any stretch; but the writing in UKM is amateurish. I pointed this out when I wrote about Tesla Effect when playing it; those old scenes from UKM that play as flashback look downright embarrassing compared to how well written the main game is. Mixing elements is hard; sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

What I completely don't agree with is what Maher does with Ardai's quote, the fact he takes out of the context of Ardai's other writings and reviews (and conveniently forgets that Ardai specifically praised the mix in other games where he thought it was pulled off well) to spin this narrative about how adventure games always mix elements and are therefore always amateurish in writing. It's the kind of sweeping generalizations and conclusions he likes to make, that allow him to rewrite the narrative of entire genres and companies, and it's this kind of thing that has made me stop taking anything he says seriously years and years ago. As I said to MRY back in 2017 or so, he just wants to wrap is personal (very, very personal) opinions in this aura of respectability ("hey look even CGW agreed with me 25 years ago!) because, quite frankly, his opinions are just lame.

Trinity, no contest.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  14. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    Encumbrance limits existed in Zork (1980). +M

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Tramboi Cipher Patron

Tramboi
    Though I don't think managing this "knapsack problem" is an interesting part of Infocom games.
    And Zork manages lot of silliness even without this constraint :)

^ Top  
  16. Tramboi Cipher Patron

Tramboi
    Don't know, man. It is serious.
    But IIRC there was silly stuff. Coconuts and lemmings ?

^ Top  
  17. CryptRat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Developer

CryptRat
    Limited inventory is great in games with resource management, different weapons to choose from, etc..., especially simulationist ones where a character with high strength would be able to wear more than a weaker one, but in classic adventure games it always annoys me a lot (Black Sect comes to mind, Hitchicker's Guide too I think), much more than other generally scorned features such as dead ends which are fun once in a while.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Tramboi Cipher Patron

Tramboi
    Oh yes. It's just useless micro-management.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Wait, isn't it MRY who's saying this (kinda) rather than Maher? He doesn't really make this point in the article, he's mostly just interested in talking about UAKM's goofy Mormon dad humor and how nice it is.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    ^ Top  
  20. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Quoth the Maher:

• meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Monkey Island 30th anniversary box release is coming via Limited Run Games:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Morpheus Kitami Educated

Morpheus Kitami
    So...its only going to have the remakes of the first two? Why? What's the point of an anthology if its missing shit?

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    No Escape?
    welp

^ Top  
  24. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Apparently it will have that.

• nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.