Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The River of Time is ooooouuuttt!

Wulfstand

Prophet
Dl-ing it as we speak, gonna give this baby a run for its money tonight. Can't god damn wait either, man I've been waiting for this for a while.

bloodlover

Arcane
Installing now. I hope it;s good. Didn't play the first one though but I hope this won't matter.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Please, please, please tell me it won't suck as much as the first Drakensang did.

hoochimama

Liturgist
A stealth release while most of the audience is still playing new vegas? Guess they're not expecting much.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I have such low expectations that maybe I should try this just to be pleasantly surprised.

made

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
Please, please, please tell me it won't suck as much as the first Drakensang did.
It does suck less than the first game. :D

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Uhm. Yay.

How much less? I want it to be decent. I need something to play, and I just can't be arsed to bother with NV.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I guess it is? The one I'm downloading is a RELOADED release, which is good enough for me.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
hoochimama said:
A stealth release while most of the audience is still playing new vegas? Guess they're not expecting much.
What the fuck were they thinking? there are no other major RPG releases until DKS. Why didn't they wait a bit?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sceptic said:
hoochimama said:
What the fuck were they thinking? there are no other major RPG releases until DKS. Why didn't they wait a bit?

Yeah, I was just as surprised having just visited the ahem, usual sites and there it is bold as brass. Not that I'm complaining though. I think with Radon Labs almost dead then it was the publisher deciding ignorantly to just get it out the door. Others have done the same in the past.

hoochimama

Liturgist
To be fair it seems like it's just a pirate leak, possibly months ahead of schedule.

Last news item I saw on river of time claimed a "beginning of 2011" release. So it wouldn't be competing with the holiday blockbusters and still far enough ahead of dragon age 2.

Edit: Seems the game got released in english only in benelux on october 29.

bloodlover

Arcane
Played about 1 hour with a wannabe archer. The game seems ok till now but nothing fancy.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
is there nowhere an official release announcement ffs?

Everyone who's about to try it: tinker with the advantages/disadvantages at char creation. I played an elf mage and took a disadvantage that gave me -3 on all knowledge skills (took the knowledge skills with a different party member anyway) and this gained enough XP to take an advantage that gave me +4 with all ranged attacks. Groovy.

Mortmal

Arcane
Been released since ages, yes even in non kraut err ubermesnch language.
It seems to me quite enjoyable and better than the first one. Its light hearted fantasy, but not so bad than first one, all in all its quite entertaining the story is better. Theres more skill checks a few more interisting fights, locations are still as gorgeous. It wont beat new vegas as rpg of the year , but its an honest game, worth playing .
Sad they went bankrupt and their next game will be mainstream, worse USA public mainstream...

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Impressions: so far, not bad. Shitloads of stats, I hope talky skills are actually useful. The control scheme is a bit awkward--there's got to be a way to lock onto a target and shoot spells/arrows at it instead of having to click on the target every time, but whatever.

The game's fairly pretty.

Topher

Cipher
I never played the first one. I might check this out so thanks for the heads up.

Ruprekt

Scholar
I downloaded and took a brief look. Start quest seems a bit insipid but they often are.

Anyway, is it just me or is dragon age 2 borrowing the premise of this game i.e. how the game is framed as a story told by a dwarf?

nFn

Educated
It seems that it is impossible to totally avoid barrel-smashing in RoT

Delirius

Liturgist
Just like the first one it's another hack&slash with terrible combat system ( especially playing as a pure mage is a real pain in the ass), however unlike its predecessor it actually has some (almost) good parts. Or maybe not. Fuck it.

Fights are really unbalanced - about 10% of them are challanging like they should, the rest is just a boring filler. Boss battles can be interesting as some of them can pose a threat to player's party but most of them are just as boring and easy as filler combat. Giving a boss lots of hp and shitty damage is moronic.

Story is shit so nothing new here. Dialogues however are a different case. They're much better - skill checks happen pretty often. Some are even class dependant, it was pretty cool when some pansy elves started bitching about my human mage and how awesome he was. Jealous tree-fuckers. Unfortunately looking cool is the only good thing about those dialogues. Skill checks happen pretty often indeed but that's all there is to it - they don't change the outcome. They're there just to give you an illusion of choice. Game allows me to talk like a mage but not act like one. Quests are all exactly the same, no matter what you say. What a moronic design.

About graphics - they're better. But so fucking what? Should have improved the combat system, you dumb fucking nazis. Either change it into pure turn-based or make it more fluid, because right now fighting is a fucking pain in the ass. And since I'm not a tranny or some other faggot my ass is sensitive. It has its limits. That's why I'm unable to finish this game.

Well, at least I tried. I menaged to last several hours. The first one I had to uninstall after an hour so there are some improvements (dialogues and graphics).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom