Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The River of Time is ooooouuuttt!

chzr

Erudite
hoochimama said:
boobs3.png

The original, for comparison purposes.

those are unplayable, FFS :x

Cenobyte

Prophet
nuclearglow said:
Camera system: crap

If I'm not completely wrong, you can always pan and rotate the camera with the right mouse button. I mean, sure, it's rather unintuitive at first and different to many games out there, but it's hardly that bad either.

nuclearglow

Novice
Cenobyte said:
nuclearglow said:
Camera system: crap

If I'm not completely wrong, you can always pan and rotate the camera with the right mouse button. I mean, sure, it's rather unintuitive at first and different to many games out there, but it's hardly that bad either.

True. When accustomed to it, it works OK. But what I meant was stuff like that:
Camera system zooms to center the PC activated, and you are no longer able to target the next enemy; this is especially true when fighting around corners.
When fighting in-doors, camera system does not work well, it often gets stuck next to a wall when the PC is hanging out there and can't be adjusted anymore - it's annoying. I admit, maybe I got carried away with "crap" since it works better than some other games (i.e. NWN).

Phelot

Arcane
Started playing it. Was disappointed that boobs are NOT bigger and that you still run slower then a grandma

Phelot

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Do yourself a favor and download this:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlitebrowser/

Open your savegame.dsa with this program and execute the following SQL statement:
update _INSTANCE_PC set RunSpeed=5.0, CurrentSpeed=5.0, MaxVelocity=5.0;

Save. Load game. Note how walking/running speed is now bearable.

Thank you! And now, something for the boobs? :D

poetic codex

Augur
Call this a butthurt post, I don't care. Codex: WHAT THE HELL DO YOU GUYS WANT ?

You whine and moan and complain that all the evil big companies make shit like Fallout 3 and Mass effect. Then a game comes out from a German company which is an old-school PC-exclusive party-based RPG (an extinct breed !),and what do you guys do? You still whine and moan and complain.

Drakensang is a bit of a sad story for PC RPG fans. I loved the first game especially after I made my own modifications. I enjoyed it far more than Dragon Age, and the game was virtually bug free....compared to DA's patch debacle. Yet the game sold badly outside of Germany mainly due to horrible marketing from their publisher DTP.

So the only game company to make a decent PC-exclusive party based RPG (which you guys like to moan about), got bankrupt and then bought over by a company that makes casual online games.

I don't see how that is a good outcome for anyone who claims to care about PC RPG games. Where were the codexers when it came to supporting the first game? I know... you guys pirated it, called it shit, and went back to bitching about DA.

So instead of supporting companies willing to make "old school" party based, PC-exclusive RPG's you would prefer to wait under Bioware/Bethesda's table and hope that a crumb falls off.

Good luck ever getting that new Torment, or new BG 2 crumb that you guys are waiting for. Hint: That crumb will NEVER fall.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
German RPG designers cannot into international publishing and marketing. It was the same thing with Gothic 1 & 2.
As for River of Time - even Gamerankings.com doesn't register any reviews. That's not just bad, that's fucking horrible.

poetic codex

Augur
SerratedBiz said:
Codex, you KILLED them.

That's not what I said at all. Reading comprehension fail.

Short version: Codex, put your money where your mouth is. Spend more time supporting companies that have a better chance of making the kind of game you want, and less time bitching against companies that have zero chance of making the game you want.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
poetic codex said:
Call this a butthurt post, I don't care. Codex: WHAT THE HELL DO YOU GUYS WANT ?

You whine and moan and complain that all the evil big companies make shit like Fallout 3 and Mass effect. Then a game comes out from a German company which is an old-school PC-exclusive party-based RPG (an extinct breed !),and what do you guys do? You still whine and moan and complain.
Eh, I looked at it and it just didn't seem all that interesting. The original Codex interview made it seem like they didn't really know what they were doing at all and though this new one looks better, it's still not enough to make me want to play it. They should give me a call if they ever decide to update Realms of Arkania but I doubt that's ever happening.

latexmonkeys

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
poetic codex said:
Several butthurt filled paragraphs

OLDSCHOOL?!

I would hardly categorize Drakensang as oldschool! How is it any more oldschool than Dragon Age anyway (not that I would consider DA oldschool either)? Party based= oldschool? PC exclusive? You'll have to do better than that. I wouldn't consider BG2 or Torment oldschool either, but the Realms of Arkania trilogy fit the bill, and from what I can see, the Drakensang games have little in common with them other than the ruleset. Please, enlighten us as to what features constitute an "oldschool" rpg.

poetic codex

Augur
latexmonkeys said:
poetic codex said:
Several butthurt filled paragraphs

OLDSCHOOL?!

I would hardly categorize Drakensang as oldschool! How is it any more oldschool than Dragon Age anyway (not that I would consider DA oldschool either)? Party based= oldschool? PC exclusive? You'll have to do better than that. I wouldn't consider BG2 or Torment oldschool either, but the Realms of Arkania trilogy fit the bill, and from what I can see, the Drakensang games have little in common with them other than the ruleset. Please, enlighten us as to what features constitute an "oldschool" rpg.

By "old school," I obviously meant the early Black Isle era (~ '98 to '01) which is held up as the golden age for that kind of western RPG. Western RPG's have long since veered away from the PC exclusive, party-based RPG format so that might as well be called "old school". When Drakensang came along, it was like a homage back to those days. Drakensang was basically a modern form of BG 2 without the teenage angsty romances.

Felix

Arcane
I like the ruleset, the social talents have potential, way better than the usual Persuasion/Bluff too bad they failed to utilize it.

made

Arcane
So anything PC exclusive & party-based passes for oldschool nowadays and warrants insta-purchase just because? I don't think so.

Maybe once German devs stop churning out amateurish shovelware games for kids that all look and sound and feel alike whether it's an RPG or adventure I'll consider paying full price for them.

Anyone try the browser games btw?
http://www.dsa-games.de/
Cba registering, but the title page at least features the original RoA soundtrack - omg oldschool!

poetic codex

Augur
latexmonkeys said:
made said:
So anything PC exclusive & party-based passes for oldschool nowadays and warrants insta-purchase just because? I don't think so.

I agree. It's quite ridiculous.

Having said that, I hope you guys see the contradiction between having that attitude while simultaneously lamenting for the days of Arcanum/BG/Fallout.

You can't say you hate the direction that Bioware/Bethesda is going in while simultaneously not giving at the very least moral support (if not financial) to companies that are more likely to give you what you want.

For every thread saying "Fallout 3 sucks !" , there should have been a thread saying "Drakensang has potential. Here are some ideas." Drakensang could have used the buzz.

latexmonkeys

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
poetic codex said:
latexmonkeys said:
made said:

I agree. It's quite ridiculous.

Having said that, I hope you guys see the contradiction between having that attitude while simultaneously lamenting for the days of Arcanum/BG/Fallout.
There is no contradiction! Are you retarded? "The codex reveres these three party- based rpgs, therefore the codex must revere all party- based rpgs." Can you not see the flaws in your logic? :retarded:

You can't say you hate the direction that Bioware/Bethesda is going in while simultaneously not giving at the very least moral support (if not financial) to companies that are more likely to give you what you want.

You still haven't offered any compelling evidence that Drakensang is in any way , shape, or form a spiritual successor to the aforementioned "oldschool" rpgs you claim the hivemend universally love.

For every thread saying "Fallout 3 sucks !" , there should have been a thread saying "Drakensang has potential. Here are some ideas." Drakensang could have used the buzz.
:roll:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
phelot said:
Shannow thinks everyone is Drog.
and he's probably right most of the time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom