Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community The RPG Codex's Top 70 PC RPGs (And Some Hidden Gems)

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's that time again! In 2019 the RPG Codex voted to determine the Top 101 PC RPGs of all time. 5 years have passed, and many new RPGs have been released, so it was time to update the list. This list covers over 40 years of RPG history, and includes a variety of sub-genres, so it's got something to piss off everybody!

We used a slightly different format this time around. In addition to the Top RPGs list, we compiled a list of hidden gems, so that (hopefully) even seasoned RPG veterans may find something new and interesting. The voting thread can be found here. Thank you to all who voted and submitted reviews. Now, on to the list!

Read the full article: The RPG Codex's Top 70 PC RPGs (And Some Hidden Gems)

Paul_cz

Arcane
I was pleasantly surprised to see KCD relatively high, and then dismayed by the bizzare writeups. Like, I found the story and quests more interesting than in some of the games above it. Oh well.

Good list I guess. Finished 30 out of 70, not bad.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Earlier this year, Codex voted for JA3 over BG3 as 2023 Game of the Year. And yet here we are with BG3 making the Top 70 and JA3 nowhere in sight. You've been found out.
Funny how that works, huh?

In a poll this broad, many of the people who voted for JA3 would just vote for JA2 instead. Meanwhile BG3 is a seminal enough game to stand on its own.

PlacementGameVotes
1Brigand: Oaxaca16
2Caves of Lore15
T-3Divine Divinity14
T-3Dungeon Rats14
T-5Albion13
T-5Prelude to Darkness13
T-7Avernum: Escape from the Pit12
T-7Titan Outpost12
9NEO Scavenger11
T-10Blackguards10
T-10Colony Ship: A Post-Earth Role Playing Game10
T-10Tales of Maj'Eyal10
T-10The Dark Heart of Uukrul10
T-10Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children10

Placement Game Votes
1 Brigand: Oaxaca 16
2 Caves of Lore 15
T-3 Divine Divinity 14
T-3 Dungeon Rats 14
T-5 Albion 13
T-5 Prelude to Darkness 13
T-7 Avernum: Escape from the Pit 12
T-7 Titan Outpost 12
9 NEO Scavenger 11
T-10 Blackguards 10
T-10 Colony Ship: A Post-Earth Role Playing Game 10
T-10 Tales of Maj'Eyal 10
T-10 The Dark Heart of Uukrul 10
T-10 Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children 10

Placement Game Votes
1 Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game 106
2 Planescape: Torment 84
3 Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura 81
4 Deus Ex 77
5 Fallout 2 68
6 Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 66
7 Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn 65
8 The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind 51
9 Baldur's Gate 47
10 Fallout: New Vegas 44
11 Gothic II 43
12 Underrail 37
13 Gothic 33
14 Jagged Alliance 2 30
15 Age of Decadence 29
16 Kingdom Come: Deliverance 27
T-17 Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss 24
T-17 Wizardry 8 24
19 Disco Elysium 23
20 Icewind Dale 22
21 Dark Souls 21
T-22 The Temple of Elemental Evil 20
T22 The Witcher 20
T-24 Pathfinder Kingmaker 19
T-24 The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt 19
T-26 Neverwinter Nights 2 18
T-26 Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords 18
T-26 Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant 18
29 The Chronicles of Myrtana: Archolos 17
30 System Shock 2 16
T-31 Dark Sun: Shattered Lands 15
T-31 Knights of the Chalice 15
33 Knights of the Chalice 2 14
T-34 Baldur's Gate III 13
T-34 Betrayal at Krondor 13
T-34 Darklands 13
T-34 Diablo 13
T-34 Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar 13
T-34 Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven 13
T-34 Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous 13
T-34 The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall 13
T-42 Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen 12
T-42 Mount & Blade: Warband 12
T-44 Dragon Age: Origins 11
T-44 Pool of Radiance 11
T-44 Shadowrun: Dragonfall 11
T-47 Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 10
T-47 Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge 10
T-49 Kenshi 9
T-49 Mass Effect 9
T-49 Might and Magic: World of Xeen 9
T-49 Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny 9
T-53 Diablo II 8
T-53 Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor 8
T-55 Arx Fatalis 7
T-55 Dungeon Master 7
T-55 Geneforge 7
T-58 Alpha Protocol 6
T-58 ATOM RPG 6
T-58 Elden Ring 6
T-58 Neverwinter Nights 6
T-58 The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings 6
T-63 Battle Brothers 5
T-63 Deus Ex: Human Revolution 5
T-63 Icewind Dale II 5
T-63 NieR: Automata 5
T-63 Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire 5
T-63 Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar 5
T-63 Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord 5
T-63 Wizards & Warriors 5

Earlier this year, Codex voted for JA3 over BG3 as 2023 Game of the Year. And yet here we are with BG3 making the Top 70 and JA3 nowhere in sight. You've been found out.

In a poll this broad, many of the people who voted for JA3 would just vote for JA2 instead. Meanwhile BG3 is a seminal enough game to stand on its own.
Yet Original Sin games are nowhere to be seen anymore. Almost as if Larian fanboys jump from one shiny new toy to the next.

Ryzer

Arcane
Faggout new vegas at #10, Morronwind at #8, Kingdom come deliverance at #16, Human Revolution at 63 (lmao it's garbage), this place is like Reddit on hindsight. Also Elden Ring wtf?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member

Yet Original Sin games are nowhere to be seen anymore. Almost as if Larian fanboys jump from one shiny new toy to the next.
It's the same logic. Why vote for D:OS if you can just vote for BG3 instead?

There will always be abberations in lists like these, and the 2013 vote will always remain on top because of the lack of shiny new toys & recency bias.

But,

1. Fallout back in its rightful place over Plaescape Torment

2. Recency bias shiny new toys like Witcher 3 slipping (Witcher > Witcher 3), with Original Sins disappearing off the face of the earth

Are wins in my book.

Dark Souls, Elden Ring, NieR, Human Revolution, Witcher 2, etc. are out of place and VtMB/New Vegas are too high. Still a better list than the steaming pile of shit that was 2019 though.

Gandalf

Arbiter
2024:
18097.jpg

2019:
16928.jpg

Ryzer

Arcane
There will always be abberations in lists like these, and the 2013 vote will always remain on top because of the lack of shiny new toys & recency bias.

But,

1. Fallout back in its rightful place over Plaescape Torment

2. Recency bias shiny new toys like Witcher 3 slipping (Witcher > Witcher 3), with Original Sins disappearing off the face of the earth

Are wins in my book.

Dark Souls, Elden Ring, NieR, Human Revolution, Witcher 2, etc. are out of place and VtMB/New Vegas are too high. Still a better list than the steaming pile of shit that was 2019 though.
Underrail, Kingdom Come Deliveranace are way too high, Divine Divinity is better than both Diablo and Diablo 2(but nowhere to be found in the top) , Human Revolution shouldn't be in the list, Icewind Dale 2 is way too low, Albion should be in the top, etc...

This is such an intellectually dishonest take.

GOTY vote =/ top RPG. Those who voted JA3 over BG3 do not consider either of them worthy of being on a Top RPGs list, or is thst another opinion you deem "unserious"?

All it shows is fans of BG3 being a lot more passionate about the game, but not enough to stop both Original Sin games from falling out of the list completely, not even on the radar. Were all those votes disingenuous in previous years?

Also the data was clear, 40+ unknown brand new or <10 post accounts coming out of the woodwork for 5/5 BG3 in GOTY poll.

Just admit you're butthurt it'll be more fun for everyone. (And no, I didn't vote for either of those shit games in GOTY)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
All it shows is fans of BG3 being a lot more passionate about the game, but not enough to stop both Original Sin games from falling out of the list completely, not even on the radar. Were all those votes disingenuous in previous years?
Swen just keeps getting better and better.

Also the data was clear, 40+ unknown brand new or <10 post accounts coming out of the woodwork for 5/5 BG3 in GOTY poll.
JA3 received a significant number of false 5s from people who did not want BG3 to win because they were mad about bears.

JA3 received a significant number of false 5s from people who did not want BG3 to win because they were mad about bebears.
And where is the the proof of that? The same amount of proof I have for the 40+ 5/5 "false" votes for BG3.

All you have is 2? 3? retards like SDG claiming the "I voted 1/1 but didn't play" club.

Again, you're being dishonest. Intenert was much more fun when people accepted and played into the butthurt

"Swen just keeps getting better and better"

That holds if BG3 took over Original Sin while they still remained on the list. All this shows is give it a few years and the current Larian toy will be discarded for the next.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom