Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community The RPG Codex's Top 70 PC RPGs (And Some Hidden Gems)

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
This list is getting worse with each passing year.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but this year it was actually decent. Not perfect, but loaaaads better than most previous lists, actually.

ferratilis

Magister
BG2 being #7 is offensive, and I don't mean go-cry-on-twitter kind of offensive, more like rounding up all the local retards and giving them a bullet in the back of the head kind of treatment offensive. Decline, through and through.

Also, the formatting fucking stinks.

Camel

Scholar
Btw, one of you fuckers posted the list again on /vrpg/ and they're gonna laugh at us... again.
Someone post the list on Resetera. :popcorn:
8eJjPVb.png

Mark Richard

Arcane
I was pleasantly surprised to see KCD relatively high, and then dismayed by the bizzare writeups. Like, I found the story and quests more interesting than in some of the games above it. Oh well.

Good list I guess. Finished 30 out of 70, not bad.
Yeah, I prefer accentuating a game's strengths while avoiding nondescript terms such as 'boring' or 'fun'. Basically, give people a reason to want to play. Most of the text is so negative that I get the impression both writers didn't like KC:D at all.

35 of 70. :salute:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
BG2 being #7 is offensive, and I don't mean go-cry-on-twitter kind of offensive, more like rounding up all the local retards and giving them a bullet in the back of the head kind of treatment offensive. Decline, through and through.

Also, the formatting fucking stinks.

BG2 was always top ten.

The list lashes out at @Swen and @Roguey for critical damage!

I do not mind PoE getting pushed down in favor of other better games that have been released in the past 10 years. I wouldn't say it's particularly good, just okay.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Perhaps our bot is saying that IWD is bad too?

It's objectively a C-tier game, on par with something like Wasteland 2. It reaches high rankings in polls like these because people remember it as essentially a standalone Baldur's Gate expansion pack that they binged on while waiting for BG2.
Either you've misspelled IWD2 or you're bad at being objective.

ferratilis

Magister
BG2 was always top ten
Not enough. BG2 must be #1 or #2 by default for Codex to be taken seriously. The fact that PST ranked higher three fucking times in a row shows that this website is populated by retards and storyfags. First five spots of the list should be locked: BG2, Fallout, Arcanum, Deus Ex, Morrowind, and then put whatever else is there. Anything else is heresy.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Perhaps our bot is saying that IWD is bad too?

It's objectively a C-tier game, on par with something like Wasteland 2. It reaches high rankings in polls like these because people remember it as essentially a standalone Baldur's Gate expansion pack that they binged on while waiting for BG2.
Either you've misspelled IWD2 or you're bad at being objective.

You're free to like the game, I like it too. But a slam dunk linear combat crawl game just can't be viewed as being on an entirely different level of quality and achievement than Owlcat's games. They're either both on the list or they're both off of it.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
First five spots of the list should be locked: BG2, Fallout, Arcanum, Deus Ex, Morrowind, and then put whatever else is there. Anything else is heresy.

Well to be honest, the Codex top 3 is always the same

Fallout, PST and Arcanum (as it should be)

The top 5 is also the same - just add Fallout 2 and Baldur's Gate 2 (no arguments there)

The other five places are a shuffle of Bloodlines, Morrowind, Deus Ex, New Vegas, etc.

It's pretty consistent, the first 10 games

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Not enough. BG2 must be #1 or #2 by default for Codex to be taken seriously. The fact that PST ranked higher three fucking times in a row shows that this website is populated by retards and storyfags. First five spots of the list should be locked: BG2, Fallout, Arcanum, Deus Ex, Morrowind, and then put whatever else is there. Anything else is heresy.
Black Isle-over-Bioware was part of this site's foundation, johnny-come-lately.

Icewind Dale receives a lot of favor for being a competent fantasy game released in 2000 with the art and writing style that existed in the period between 1996 and 2003. As the Kickstarter revolution proved, you can't go home again when it comes to style, it's just not the same.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom