Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community The RPG Codex's Top 70 PC RPGs (And Some Hidden Gems)

Ryzer

Arcane
Glad that Divine Divinity made the "Hidden Gems" list, that's a great and awesome game that I recommend anyone to play. Great roleplaying options, dialogue, combat, progression, story, etc.

While I like Shadowrun: Dragonfall, I prefer Hong Kong tbh. Wish that one made the list.
I still stand by my statement arguing that Divine Divinity is better than Diablo 1 and 2, and also better than a lot of games mentioned in the list. Also there should be Divinity 2 ego draconis in the list, completely underrated game.

Beans00

Erudite
Possibly Retarded
Colony Ship RPG: A Post-Earth Role-Playing Game" was highly anticipated by fans of isometric RPGs due to its promising premise and the pedigree of its developers, Iron Tower Studio, known for their work on "The Age of Decadence." However, upon release, it fell short of many players' expectations, leaving a sense of disappointment in its wake.
One of the main criticisms of Colony Ship RPG was its lackluster execution of its intriguing setting. While the concept of a colony ship lost in space, filled with political intrigue and factional conflict, held great potential, the game struggled to fully immerse players in this world. The narrative failed to deliver on the complexity and depth that was expected, with many quests feeling repetitive or underdeveloped.
Additionally, the game faced criticism for its dated graphics and clunky user interface. While some players may have been willing to overlook these shortcomings in favor of engaging gameplay and storytelling, the overall experience was hindered by technical issues and a lack of polish.
Combat, a crucial aspect of any RPG, also fell short of expectations. Many players found the combat system to be unbalanced and lacking in strategic depth, leading to repetitive encounters and frustration.
Despite these criticisms, Colony Ship RPG did have its strengths. The game offered a variety of character build options, allowing players to customize their characters to suit their preferred playstyle. Furthermore, the game's branching narrative paths provided some replay value, as players could explore different choices and consequences in subsequent playthroughs.

In conclusion, while Colony Ship RPG had the potential to be a standout title in the isometric RPG genre, it ultimately failed to live up to expectations. Its lackluster execution, technical issues, and underwhelming gameplay left many players disappointed. However, it still holds some merit for fans of the genre who may appreciate its attempts at branching narrative and character customization.

Butter I demand to know why my review of Colony ship was not used.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
After AoD I hoped Colony Ship would feature a more traditional gameplay structure.

But awkward camera and teleportation made a reappearance. It seems devs' heads are still stuck in AoD systemically and design-wise on some level.

Also the chargen in Colony Ship was copy-pasted from Fallout with very few changes (ATOM did the same thing).

Skill tags, "Gifted" trait, almost the same attributes as SPECIAL, etc. That cannot be condoned.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Go Butter!

Nice list. Some surprising results here and there.

Reading the Titan Outpost minireviews put a smile on my face. Thanks.

Almost all of them ranked lower in 2024. Underrail actually ranked higher. I think we can conclude that it has joined the ranks of the Codex Classics. 12th is not a remotely bad spot.
Expedition is one of the best things I've ever played. I've always liked Underrail, but only after the expansion do I consider it one of my all-time favorites. I think that helped.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
How the hell did crapsco shitisium even make the list, let alone the first third you goddamn commies?

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
2) If you want to sell your stuff you have to go from one vendor to another because one trader will buy only very specific things and nothing else. Which makes sense in real life but in a game it's annoying (and to be honest in a post-apocalyptic world I doubt any trader would pass on a chance to buy something he doesn't need at the moment but for a fraction of it's real value). AoD wins again.

I disagree with most of Gorals points, except this one.

The vendor system in underrail was annoying and stupid and I hated it.
AoD is Save everything for later therapy, UR is Vaccuum up vendor trash therapy. Both very effective.

Xorazm

Cipher
Colony Ship RPG: A Post-Earth Role-Playing Game" was highly anticipated by fans of isometric RPGs due to its promising premise and the pedigree of its developers, Iron Tower Studio, known for their work on "The Age of Decadence." However, upon release, it fell short of many players' expectations, leaving a sense of disappointment in its wake.
One of the main criticisms of Colony Ship RPG was its lackluster execution of its intriguing setting. While the concept of a colony ship lost in space, filled with political intrigue and factional conflict, held great potential, the game struggled to fully immerse players in this world. The narrative failed to deliver on the complexity and depth that was expected, with many quests feeling repetitive or underdeveloped.
Additionally, the game faced criticism for its dated graphics and clunky user interface. While some players may have been willing to overlook these shortcomings in favor of engaging gameplay and storytelling, the overall experience was hindered by technical issues and a lack of polish.
Combat, a crucial aspect of any RPG, also fell short of expectations. Many players found the combat system to be unbalanced and lacking in strategic depth, leading to repetitive encounters and frustration.
Despite these criticisms, Colony Ship RPG did have its strengths. The game offered a variety of character build options, allowing players to customize their characters to suit their preferred playstyle. Furthermore, the game's branching narrative paths provided some replay value, as players could explore different choices and consequences in subsequent playthroughs.

In conclusion, while Colony Ship RPG had the potential to be a standout title in the isometric RPG genre, it ultimately failed to live up to expectations. Its lackluster execution, technical issues, and underwhelming gameplay left many players disappointed. However, it still holds some merit for fans of the genre who may appreciate its attempts at branching narrative and character customization.

If it makes you feel better, I'm an inch closer to wanting to try it out. Almost certainly will one day, that day just got a little sooner.

Gotta hand it to Iron Tower - at some point when they're cooking up a title they seem to insist on dreaming up a setting for a CRPG that nobody has considered before. Of course that will have execution pains, it's one reason why Geneforge is still better than people give it credit for, because somehow it all worked. Iron Tower know it hurts their marketability, because nobody knows what to make of such a dreary premise as Colony Ship (I certainly don't, which is why Butter's comment is helpful) but they press on anyway.

No idea what they'll think of next, and that's what's great about them.

Beans00

Erudite
Possibly Retarded

If it makes you feel better, I'm an inch closer to wanting to try it out. Almost certainly will one day, that day just got a little sooner.

Gotta hand it to Iron Tower - at some point when they're cooking up a title they seem to insist on dreaming up a setting for a CRPG that nobody has considered before. Of course that will have execution pains, it's one reason why Geneforge is still better than people give it credit for, because somehow it all worked. Iron Tower know it hurts their marketability, because nobody knows what to make of such a dreary premise as Colony Ship (I certainly don't, which is why Butter's comment is helpful) but they press on anyway.

No idea what they'll think of next, and that's what's great about them.

Colony ship failed and will be their last game. They already said this publicly.

Colony ship was too trash, no small studio would survive junk like that.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I didn't even know there was some kind of a thing going on. Instead of lulzy forum titles, maybe put in an announcement or something. Just a thought?

Can't blame me for the results being shit.

I didn't even know there was some kind of a thing going on. Instead of lulzy forum titles, maybe put in an announcement or something. Just a thought?

Can't blame me for the results being shit.
The thread was active for months and the voting was extended + announcement made by staff to boost participation.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
There is a Codex poll for CRPGs.

There is a Codex poll for JRPGs. (Recent spin-off).

If Codex wants to create more lists of recommendations, I would suggest maybe one devoted to Tactics games.

And maybe one for RPG soundtracks.

jnzu4y.png

Bester

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
It warms my heart to see so many great games in one picture/collage.
And even though my personal number one is a different game, the winning title, the first RPG ever to show us true freedom in builds and a great deal of ingenious, various ways of forging the path is well deserved.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom