Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Ruinous Powers (40K CYOA)

asxetos

Augur
I think its safe to risk C.
Its obvious the captain needs us for some reason (or just wants to get some), since he didnt kill us outright but he said he wants to kill the sorcerer so that he wont make more champions.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
kill the sorcerer so that he wont make more champions.
That's a pretty retarded reason. Given that the man isn't very sophisticated, I'd say he is trying to bullshit us and fails horribly at it.

Hm. I think I'll switch to C. I don't remember the captain saying anything about immediate action. We are not going against his orders, and we are not taking any actions yet, just collecting the info. It should be fine.

lightbane

Arcane
D. Meet the important NPCs (especially the Dark Mechanicus ones, so that we can hijack these murder-servitors later on). Also, attempt to learn where's the armory AND get a weapon for ourselves.

oscar

Arcane
C. No rush, the prisoners aren't going anywhere. We've already obliged him by turning up immediately to his headquarters.

Nevill

Arcane
Baltika9 C>A
Major_Blackhart C
Esquilax A
Smashing Axe A
Nevill C
Grimgravy A
Violet A>C
asxetos C
lightbane D
oscar C
archaen C
Kz3r0 C
Elfberserker A

A - 5
C - 7
D - 1
:desu:

Cheesecake

Savant
Thank you for the tally!

You scoff and toss your silky curtain of hair behind you. With a face of haughtiness only rivaled by the aristocratic farmlords back on your homeworld, you loudly and clearly walk the opposite direction of where you're meant to go. With each step, another pair of eyes turns to glorify you, and you revel in it. Who would have thought that you of all people would be revered as an idol?

You grab a particularly smitten scribe by the scruff of his collar. His red face would make even the Blood God proud. Pressing your nose tantalizingly close to his, your eyes interlock, and sigh softly. "Do you want to give me a tour, sweet?"

A stunned silence is your only reply for a moment. Warily turning his head left and right, the scribe faces you again assured that he is not the butt of a joke once more. He nods. You let go of him, and you see disappointment dance across his face. You wonder if any girl has gotten that close with him. He walks off, stopping every few paces to make sure you're still following.

"Eh, uh, um, this is the bridge. Most of us, uh, um, spend time here. Our sergeant is Hooker, she's over there, playing Tarot." You feel his heart race. He's smitten. "Yeah, uh, I don't see her often. She doesn't really talk to non-combatants. Or anyone, actually."

Almost all work on the bridge grinds to a halt as more and more mercenaries are alerted to your presence. The servitors, of course, are apathetic. The scribe continues onward and the bustle of work continues as you leave.

"Um, the apothecary works here. In the medicae. Of course, um, you knew that already, unless you didn't, um." You peek your head through the open counter window and look inside. A gruff, bloated man jovially sorts his meds and chems. "We call him Detox, uh, 'cause he's an apothecary, and all. But you knew that already, heh. Unless you didn't. Um."

Detox the apothecary stops his sorting, turns his head and regards you with a single, cloudy eye. With speed you thought impossible for his substantial bulk, he grabs your arm, pressing roughly. Of course, your hardened skin does not feel a thing, but you still feel offended. He stabs you with a syringe, and the needle breaks. The apothecary's mouth stretches into a grin. He lets go of your hand.

"See ya 'round, sis. Heh."

Slightly perturbed, you urge the scribe to take you elsewhere. "He doesn't seem fit for duty, doesn't he?" you ask the scribe. "I mean, he's only got one eye and he smells putrid!"

The scribe shrugs. "I mean, no one could possibly be as beautiful as you." He reddens. "But he's one of the healthiest and fittest here! And what do you mean by one eye?"

Confused, you wave it off and ask him to continue the 'tour'. He takes you to what you assume is the armory. "Yeah, I'm not allowed in there. Uh, but you could ask Entek, he's the tech-priest we've got onboard." You doubt even your supernatural charm would work on someone who is more machine than man, though you could try.

Finally, you come to a gilded double-doorway entrance. Your skin tingles. "This is where our chaplain, Tempestus, lives. Let me go get-" You grab his arm and his face reddens again.

"That won't be necessary." If what the posters said were true, priests of the God-Emperor - no, the corpse god, could breathe holy flame and flay the souls of the wicked. You do not want to test their validity.

"Um, that's everyone who's important, sorta. Oh! By the way, I, uh, my name is-" you cut him off with a finger to his lips. You need to think.

Your next course of action is to:

A. Interrogate the prisoners.
B. Talk to Sergeant Hooker.
C. Talk to Apothecary Detox.
D. Visit Tech-Priest Entek.
E. Face the chaplain Tempestus.
F. Wander around.
G. Do something else: ___

((Sorry if it's a little short. Hopefully as we move along it'll be filled with more content :/ ))

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
B. - Speak with Sergeant Hooker. She's probably Slaaneshi and might give us something that could give us a handle on the Tech-Priest so he can turn his servitors against the commander.
There's no possible way that I'm misreading this at all.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Hookers and booze is what we are after. Sergeant it is!

Maybe she'll make an exception for us and talk.

Edit: B>C

Alternatively, the Apothecary might be an interesting encounter, now that we both know who the other one is.

I wonder how come Tempestus doesn't notice him or the captain? Maybe he'll ignore us as well? The Apothecary might give us a hint or two about disguises.

Last edited:

Inf0mercial

Augur
C. Talk to Apothecary Detox.

Damn tempted for B, but Detox should give us some more info on the important people, 90% sure he is nurgle.

So we can move from an informed angle.

Baltika9

Arcane
E>C, the chaplain is a curious man. A servant of the God Emperor working with a captain favored by Khorne?
Yeah right. Gettoutahere.

Nevill

Arcane
I am sure everyone have noticed that the ship is crawling with Chaos creatures that are very unlikely to work together in any other circumstances.

There are Khorne, Nurgle and Slaanesh servants present, if we count ourselves as one. I would suspect there is someone belonging to Tzeentch on the ship, too. It would not be a complete set of weirdos without them.

So, what is the logical place for a Tzeentchian to dig in? I would assume they would want to prevent any threat to their identity being exposed well beforehand, and thus a chaplain would be an ideal cover. It would also explain why he turns a blind eye to the infestation under his nose.

I have zero knowledge of WH40K lore, so I don't know how plausible it is for a chaplain to fall to Chaos and not be discovered. Maybe more dedicated folks will correct me.

I have zero knowledge of WH40K lore, so I don't know how plausible it is for a chaplain to fall to Chaos and not be discovered. Maybe more dedicated folks will correct me.

Chaplain is just a job title. Like CHARNAME here is demonstrating, your average pleb couldn't tell his arse from his elbow when it comes to big things in the sky.

A

Nevill

Arcane
Chaplain is just a job title.
Yeah, but, like, is there any organization they answer to? Some kind of church or whatever that inspects them for signs of heresy?

I guess the chances of him being exposed on a mercenary ship run by a Khornite are pretty low.

your average pleb couldn't tell his arse from his elbow when it comes to big things in the sky.
You know, syringes breaking off one's skin and a snake tongue are not that hard to spot. However, it becomes increasingly harder when the key figures are compromised. A medic, as someone whose job is to observe the condition of the crew, could spot mutations - and he did, he just kept silent about it.

I am fairly certain the chaplain is subverted by one power or another. That, or they replace them every month. :)

Chaplain is just a job title.
Yeah, but, like, is there any organization they answer to? Some kind of church or whatever that inspects them for signs of heresy?

I guess the chances of him being exposed on a mercenary ship run by a Khornite are pretty low.

Was that a rhetorical question? Because you answered it pretty well ;)

You're right on him/her/ITZ probably being subverted. And yes, while there is an organisation they're affiliated with, the chances of face-to-face contact with someone who could inspect them is about once in a lifetime in most places.

lightbane

Arcane
Hmm, that Apothecary is a Nurgle's servant alright... Or the average Amerikwan doctor :patriot:
Either way, I vote for D: let's see how would a seduction attempt go with a Tech-priest. I'm sure it will be funny.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom