Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Steam Greenlight Thread - SHUT DOWN

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
potatoman-splash-image_rich3_anim3_4.gif

MisterStone

Arcane
Bros, I learned about this game from the Roguelike thread in GRPGD. I don't know why, but I find my self strongly attracted to this game which apparently is a co-op brawler with roguelike elements featuring pixelated sprites with dynamic lighting (!). Consider voting for it on Greenlight if you think it's worthy...

Legend of Dungeon Greenlight page:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=108895757

Kickstarter page:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/robotloveskitty/legend-of-dungeon

Homepage:

http://www.robotloveskitty.com/LoD/

Dev Blog:

http://robotloveskitty.tumblr.com/

Multi-headed Cow

I played Brutal Legend. Thought it was pretty bad apart from the soundtrack. Story seemed to take itself too fucking seriously for METAL WORLD and the gameplay itself wasn't very good, both as an action game and as a RTS and the two combined didn't make a satisfying mix either.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Not really a case of a game being 'Greenlit,' Morgoth~ Anyway, I can't stand Jack Black so even if this game were good I'd pass.

Multi-headed Cow

Anyone have any idea when the next batch of Greenlighting is supposed to be, by the way? Normally Valve has been announcing the dates early, but I can't remember them mentioning one for the next batch.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yes, a buddy mentioned the other day he read exactly that. Gabe is fairly disappointed with how Greenlight is working out and a lot of games live or die based on e-communities like reddit, etc. Not sure when they're going to pull the plug but eventually it will be phased out.

TripJack

Hedonist
PC Gamer said:
Last week, Valve boss Gabe Newell visited the University of Texas’ LBJ School of Public Affairs and spoke about the “bottleneck” of Steam’s current approval process and possible solutions for getting rid of the red tape. Part of the problem, Newell explained, is the mediocre headway from the Steam Greenlight voting system, “a bad election process” that may even be axed in the future.

“It’s probably bad for the Steam community, in the long run, not to move to a different way of thinking about that,” Newell said. “In other words, we should stop being a dictator and move towards much more participatory, peer-based methods of sanctioning player behavior. Greenlight is a bad example of an election process. We came to the conclusion pretty quickly that we could just do away with Greenlight completely, because it was a bottleneck rather than a way for people to communicate choice.”

Greenlight certainly suffered a rocky launch back in August, with scores of fake submissions peppering the genuine efforts from indie developers. Valve implemented a $100 submission fee as a quick fix, but a larger question looms: are voters part of Steam’s “dictatorship”? Are good games going unnoticed simply because someone gave a thumbs-down for arbitrary reasons such as “too anime” or “looks dumb,” and would replacing it with something else entirely transform Steam into the publishing paradise Newell envisions? Let us know what you think of Greenlight in the comments.
looking dumb or being too anime are not arbitrary reasons, on the contrary they are excellent indicators that the game in question is shit

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd be surprised if there isn't at least one more Greenlighting. It just hasn't been announced yet.

In any case, it's great that AoD got through while it could.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't downvote anything unless it looks like trolling/spam. I'll be sure to add "upvote anything anime looking" to my to do list to counteract the effect of severe retardation.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There's art style and then there's anime. It's... anime...

Anime art varies wildly. I find something like this perfectly acceptable:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom