Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
We're still on the PS1 grafix trend. You need to wait at least two years before we move on to PS2 grafix.

Kev Inkline

(devious)
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
We're still on the PS1 grafix trend. You need to wait at least two years before we move on to PS2 grafix.
Well, Mechajammer devs have proven you can move between ps1/ps2/modern pixel styles within a single project more often than you change clothes*.

(*which is a few days' timespan, given this is Codex)

Everything THQ Nordic is having a sale right now, on Steam, and will have one for a few days.
I promised myself I wouldn't buy any more games this year, but I bit my tongue and brought Knights of Honor II because it got a -60% discount. Brought it for likw fifty BRbucks (it was over 120 BRL before).

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
Finally out of early access purgatory.

fugkboy.jpg

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I sadly discovered Sword of Convallaria is a gacha after playing the demo. In hindsight I guess the F2P should have been a dead giveaway. Also, nothing gets me going more than game telling me to tap the screen on PC.
Well that's disappointing screenshots looked like it had potential.
For what it's worth I've been playing this lately and it's pretty good for what it is. Currency seems generous for anything important, same with the energy system. Actual gameplay definitely starts off slow and easy but it's started getting tricky lately; largely due to objectives like 'keep the retards alive' and surprise ambushes during said missions. Seems to have a lot of C&C/Branching path stuff but I can't say for sure as I've yet to clear a full run (or lose the run) and start over to do things differently.

Main gripes are the two different modes have very different progression systems and don't overlap, so you can upgrade a character in one mode and it's still shit in the other, or you can upgrade it in both but their abilities will be totally different. Had a few 'oops this version doesn't have that spell' moments.

Game is pretty, story seems not retarded (Nothing amazing either, some simple political stuff, aid refugees, evil prince did a coup, etc.) and is easy enough to skip if you want. Also, for the more grindy shit, like doing all 20 versions of whatever mission to get achievements and first completion currency, you can set the game to automode and x2 speed once you've outlevelled it. Some kind of item for just skipping levels too I've yet to use.

Edit: Update after playing some more. Challenge has continued to climb, at least in the story mode. Mostly through encounter designs; fighting in shitty positions or vastly outnumbered. I like it way more than that arbitrary 'your level is too low, you can't hurt this' thing most games do. Story is both more retarded and offers less C&C than I was led to believe; I spent 2 whole chapters picking options stating that I didn't trust the obviously scummy weasel, only to obey his every request and then blame the character I was trying to trust for a conspiracy she obviously had no part in. To make things extra worse, the game seems to have justified this by making the schemer suddenly super reliable and noble while my previous best allies suddenly betrayed me for no apparent reason. Very bizarre, feels like they changed the plot completely halfway through writing it.

Last edited:

Don Peste

Arcane
I just realized Arx Fatalis appears as developed/published by Arkane, and on Bethesda's Steam page. Wasn't it owned by Ubi?

Caim

Arcane
I just realized Arx Fatalis appears as developed/published by Arkane, and on Bethesda's Steam page. Wasn't it owned by Ubi?
Arx Fatalis was published by the small Jowood Prouctions, which was mostly active in the EU/AU sphere before going under (they published the likes of Gothic and Spellforce, and are now owned by THQ Nordic). It was Dark Messiah that was published by Ubisoft (on account of it being a Might & Magic game, which Ubisoft owns), and after Arkane started working on Dishonored they were collared by Zenimax, where they remain to this day. I don't know what happened to the game after Jowood went under, but since Arkane published the game's source code it's fairly certain to say that they own the game again, and since Zenimax owns both them and Bethesda I think that's the reason it is lumped together with all other games under the Zenimax umbrella.

Caim

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom