Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Multi-headed Cow said:
Hahaha, price on Terraria went up to $5. Still worth it, but good for bros who snuck in at the $2.50 price.

I knew something like that would probably happen which is why I snatched that up instantly. Probably should have gotten a four pack for laughs. Everyone is RAGING about it now on Steam forums refusing to buy it at $5... but you know they will just like the L4D2 boycott.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Regarding the Mass Effect 2 loading times: the game requires you watch the entire load screen video each time you load, artificially inflating the time spent waiting (yes, it's stupid as hell). Search around and you'll find a replacement video pack that simply changes all existing load screens to a 0.3-second loop of the Mass Effect 2 logo, allowing for near-instant load times (at least on my system).

Regarding the Prince of Persia games on sale: The Sands of Time is excellent, and the others are all... between competent and good. They have the same fundamental gameplay so that's not really a major problem, but they never quite get as close in execution to The Sands of Time, and tend to drag things down with pointless gimmicks. The entire pack is pretty good value if you like platform games and have a gamepad to play them on, and The Sands of Time is well worth $2.50.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Ulminati said:
Osmos is another really good puzzle game. Very relaxing. highly reccomended. Has some glitches with some older nvidia cards.

Don't believe that: Osmos is one of the most trollish games I know. It starts easy but at a point becomes fiendishly hard. F3C-3 still haunts me.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Gragt said:
Ulminati said:
Osmos is another really good puzzle game. Very relaxing. highly reccomended. Has some glitches with some older nvidia cards.

Don't believe that: Osmos is one of the most trollish games I know. It starts easy but at a point becomes fiendishly hard. F3C-3 still haunts me.

F3C-3 is where your self esteem goes to die. >:}

srsly. Osmos is awesome.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well with tomorrow being 'encore' day I wonder what will make a return. Might pick up Sanctum this time around since I got Terraria for $5 less than I was going to pay for it. Maybe even... DAO Ultimate! Derp!

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Ulminati said:
Gragt said:
Ulminati said:

F3C-3 is where your self esteem goes to die. >:}

srsly. Osmos is awesome.

No disagreement from me there. I certainly was glad to have beaten F3C-3.

Now to tackle the infinite zones :D

Multi-headed Cow

I'll do a list of crap I bought during the sale, but I ended up blowing about $210 during it (Estimating what my final day haul will include, if they throw me for a loop and don't do reruns on the final day it may be more/less). Actually surprised me a bit I spent that much, not really a problem since I knew the Steam sale was coming up and was well prepared to be a god damn idiot, but still. Feeling a bit guilty that I spent $210 on that, going to spend $5 on Dungeons of Dredmor and $10 on Old World Blues shortly after, and spent $35 preordering Deus Ex during.

To be fair, after that the only games I have any plans to buy at non-discounted price is the last FNV DLC and Torchlight 2. Otherwise I'll mainly be coasting until the winter sale some 5 months down the road, unless more great Steam sales pop up. Buying in bulk during the sales and then mostly avoiding buying things works for me, but damn.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I've been keeping an eye on the Steam sale and taking part in the meta-game with as little effort as possible, and I've got 9 tickets so far, could probably grab 1 or 2 more.

And it's only today that I find a game on the sale worth buying - Portal 2. Even though it's half off, I'm STILL undecided on whether I should get it.

EDIT: Oh, one more thing.

Ulminati said:
I got Mr. Robot ages ago. It's got pretty neat produciton values for an indie. It's got JRPG mechanics, which is kinda meh. I got bored of it pretty quickly. I'd give it a pass, but if you actually find final fantasy had compelling gameplay, you might find 2½ euros worth of fun here.

You're only describing half the game here. What sold me on to the game (so much that I ordered a physical copy and had it delivered to my home) is that the other half of the game is a Head Over Heels clone.

The REAL problem with Mr. Robot is that its internal balance between the Head Over Heels gameplay vs JRPG combat is off - too much filler combat in the latter, not enough decent puzzles in the former. By the time you're introduced to the last gameplay element - those little minibots that you have to control remotely, the game is about 95% done already. Yes, it's that short a game - most of you will complete it in a day or two, and unlike Head Over Heels (or Batman 3D) the puzzles aren't really that challenging. The game isn't a challenge at all, for that matter. It seems to be aimed at a younger audience than adults.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I HAD TO GET NWN2 SEEING AS HOW MASK OF BETRAYER IS SUPPOSED TO BE SUEPR COOL

THEN I GOT HITMAN SILENT ASSASSIN I LOVED THAT ONE ON THE PS2 OR SOMETHING

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Good choice, bro. Mask of the Betrayer is indeed worth it, and the other stuff that come with it aren't too bad either. Start with the OC whenever you decide to play it, because despite its uneven pacing and sometimes questionable design, it still has a few good bits and good writing. If you can't tolerate it, then skip to MotB right away, and keep in mind that it's much better than the OC.

Anyway I ended up buying only Spacechem, and that was as a gift for someone else.

Peter

Arcane
I resisted the urge the first day it was on sale, but god damn that Ass Creed collection is tempting.

mugarod

Liturgist
Project: Eternity
Multi-headed Cow said:
I'll do a list of crap I bought during the sale, but I ended up blowing about $210 during it (Estimating what my final day haul will include, if they throw me for a loop and don't do reruns on the final day it may be more/less). Actually surprised me a bit I spent that much, not really a problem since I knew the Steam sale was coming up and was well prepared to be a god damn idiot, but still. Feeling a bit guilty that I spent $210 on that, going to spend $5 on Dungeons of Dredmor and $10 on Old World Blues shortly after, and spent $35 preordering Deus Ex during.

To be fair, after that the only games I have any plans to buy at non-discounted price is the last FNV DLC and Torchlight 2. Otherwise I'll mainly be coasting until the winter sale some 5 months down the road, unless more great Steam sales pop up. Buying in bulk during the sales and then mostly avoiding buying things works for me, but damn.

holy shit Ham Sandwich, whats your steam account? I am curious whats your total # og fames is up to now.

Multi-headed Cow

The Mawesome Pack
Spectromancer League of Heroes
Spectromancer Truth and Beauty
Guardians of Graxia Elves and Dwarves
Gratuitous Space Battles Nomads
Gratuitous Space Battles Galactic Conquest
Back to the Future the Game
Bit Trip Runner
Majesty 2 Battles of Ardania
Majesty 2 Monster Kingdom
Elven Legacy
Elven Legacy Magic
Elven Legacy Ranger
Elven Legacy Siege
Hamilton's Great Adventure
Magicka Vietnam
Magicka Marshland
Magicka Frozen Lake
Magicka Watchtower
Magicka Final Frontier
Magicka Robe Bundle
Garshasp the Monster Slayer
Flight Control HD
The Polynomial
Dragon Age Origins Ultimate
Civilization 5 Babylon
Civilization 5 Polynesia
Civilization 5 Spain and Inca
Civilization 5 Denmark
AI War Children of Neinzul
AI War Light of the Spire
King Arthur the Roleplaying Wargame Druids
Beat Hazard Ultra
Jamestown
Sanctum
Risen
Mass Effect 2
Final Hours of Portal 2
Dead Space 2
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines
Longest Journey
Dreamfall
Stubbs the Zombie
Eschalon Book 1
Eschalon Book 2
I-Fluid
Eternity's Child
Anomaly Warzone Earth
Fallout 1
Fallout 2
Fallout Tactics
Scratches
Oddworld Munch's Oddysee
Oddworld Stranger's Wrath
The Scourge Project
Hacker Evolution Collection
Tiny Bang Story
Lume
Syberia 1
Syberia 2

Ticket prizes:
Alien Breed 2
TF2 shades
AI War Zenith Remnant
Killing Floor skins
Magicka map
Delve Deeper maps
Fate of the World mission
Spacechem campaign
Portal 2 snorkels
Zombie Driver map
AAAAAA maps
X3 Terran Conflict sector
Dawn of War 2 Retribution helmet
ARES suit
Beat Hazard ship
Winter Voices quest
Serious Sam HD skins
Monday Night Combat skins

XenomorphII

Prophet
New Vegas is on sale today. Just thought I'd pop in and let anybody know who doesn't have it.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So on the final day, I finally caved in and bought some shit. My lewt from the sale ended thusly:

VTM: Bloodlines - My hardcopy was lost years ago when I moved
Fagout: New Vagina - It receives so much goddamn praise on KKKodex I'l give it a try despite being built on Fagout 3. Then again, KKKodex lured me into wasting money on the steaming dungpile that was TWitcher, so if this sucks I will officially start doubting Kodex Kritikal Konsensus
Greed Corp - Been playing it a bit. It's quite fun. I'm a bit worried it'll become repetitive quickly, but I'm glad I got it on a sale.
Hammerfight - Haven't installed yet. Looks fun and was cheap
Indiana Jones and the Fate Of Atlantis - My favouritest adventure game EVAR next to Grim Fandango. The old diskettes have long since decayed to a point where they are not readable
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom - Played the demo on my fagbox. It's quite fun in the same way Braid was, but not nearly as pretentious
Nimbus - I've heard a lot of good things about this. Installed, but haven't played yet.
Sanctum - It's co-op, and apparently 11 people on my friends list got it. I'm hoping we can fail miserably together
Space Rangers 2: Reboot - I've heard it's a bit like a space version of Sid Meiers Pirates. I beleive there was a LP on the KKKodex where the gameplay was praised
Speactromancer - Played this back in beta. It was fun, if buggy. I had forgotten all about it until I rediscovered it on the steam sale. Sort-of like Magic: The Gathering in feel, but with less deck building and more C&C.

Multi-headed Cow

Mugarod has found me and now I'm tied up in his basement with a ballgag! HELP BROS

And Metro, you might wanna snag Sanctum today. Doing some dicking with it and it's giving a good impression. Even if it's a bit sparse on content it looks like playing through what's currently available should be a good time, and it's sure as hell cheap.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Risen
Terraria (snagged at the super bro $2.50 price)
Beat Hazard DLC
Dark Messiah
Armored Princess + Crossworlds
Oddbox (all four Oddworld games)
Paradox Fantasy Pack (Majesty Gold, Majesty 2 + all DLC, Elven Legacy + all DLC)

$33ish

Still considering:

Mawesome Pack
Penny Arcade games (I generally don't like those two faggy characters)
Sanctum
Darkstar One (any impressions on this?)

If given a second chance, might have bought:

X3: TC
DAO Ultimate bundle
ME 2... well... maybe not.

And Metro, you might wanna snag Sanctum today. Doing some dicking with it and it's giving a good impression. Even if it's a bit sparse on content it looks like playing through what's currently available should be a good time, and it's sure as hell cheap.

Noted. I'll probably pick it up... it's just that I tend to start tower defense games and set them aside never to finish. Still haven't finished Defense Grid that I bought well over a year ago.

Ulminati said:
Greed Corp - Been playing it a bit. It's quite fun. I'm a bit worried it'll become repetitive quickly, but I'm glad I got it on a sale.

It's a 'quaint' little strategy game. Nothing exceptionally deep. I picked it up for $2.50 last Christmas but only put about three or four hours into it before I got bored.

Also, also... will be picking up Dungeons of Dreadmore at $5 as soon as it launches. For cheap indie games I won't be a miser and wait for 75% off~

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom