Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

sser

Arcane
Developer
$0. Although if Space Rangers 2 is on sale I'll have to check it out.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Sanctum had 1 good map and that was the first one.

mugarod

Liturgist
Project: Eternity
Got Batman:AA, DLC for King arthur, King Bounty Crossroads, Stalker Clear Sky and Guardians of Graxia and NWN2 Plat even though I allready had 2/3 of NWn2 for about 30$ total.

I am looking forward to never playing any of those games

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Ok, I installed hammerfight. It's really, really, REALLY awkward to control. I'd put this in the AVOID pile. :/

Also, Mugaros, install and play Batman: AA. DO IT NAOW! It's brilliant. Stealth sections are very satisfying. If you find them too popamole, just tell yourself you're not allowed to bat-grapple to gargoyles and the difficulty (and satisfaction when you complete them) experiences a steep incline.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
So now that the steam sales are more or less over, why not vote what was the best and worst game you got from the sale.
Best: Fallout: New Vegas. Obsidian took Fallout 3 and did what they could to make it good. Rebalanced the game to be more fun and have some semblence of challenge. All in all this game feels like an actual Fallout game unlike FO3. Oh, and BoS aren't wasteland Paladins this time around. Thank god. :M
One of them is even a psychotic fucker bordering on creepy territory (the asshole from Dead Money).
Best game by Obsidian, maybe even my favorite Fallout. The Ranger armor is badass as fuck too. Much cooler than all the Power Armors.

Worst: King's Bounty: Armored Princess. Better than The Legend, but it still feels like more of the same which can be a good thing or bad thing depending on who you ask. Glorified expansion pack at best; too much shit recycled. I like the OST a lot, but they could've gone with a new one here. Can't be that lazy. I do like the rebalanced and modified talent trees a lot in AP.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I picked up the Fallout: New Vegas DLC, Dead Money and Honest Hearts, for $6.

I also picked up Alien Breed 2: Assault for free from the tickets. After getting the TF2 Summer Shades I wasn't sure what else to get, so I got that and the Portal 2 hats despite not owning Portal 2.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Are Dead Money/Honest Hearts worth the price of admission? Since I got Fagout on Steam I'm not sure it's a good idea to use Bucaneer Cove versions of the DLC on it.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Honest Hearts is kinda weak. The premise at first sounded good, but it didn't feel like the story and characters were developed at all. It was just a few of fedex quests and then bang it's over. Seems like the only purpose it served was to give you the Desert Ranger armor which isn't faction locked and a few quick level ups. Dead Money pissed me off at first, but then I preserved and it ended up being really good. Pretty good story and the gameplay was survival horror. Worth it in my opinion.

mugarod

Liturgist
Ulminati said:
Ok, I installed hammerfight. It's really, really, REALLY awkward to control. I'd put this in the AVOID pile. :/

Also, Mugaros, install and play Batman: AA. DO IT NAOW! It's brilliant. Stealth sections are very satisfying. If you find them too popamole, just tell yourself you're not allowed to bat-grapple to gargoyles and the difficulty (and satisfaction when you complete them) experiences a steep incline.

Yeah I played Batman for few hours allready, its pretty fun. this sale was definetelly not a complete waste of money I just feel like I keep getting more and more games every sale and barely finishing any non rpgs. Had a good year of games though this year. Finished myself Arcanum, DivineDivinity 1 and 2, Risen, gothic 3, Fallout NV, Stalker Call of pripyat, just cause 2. Yet the game I spent the most time playing, League of Legends, I paid nothing for.

I like steam though it made me want to play a lot of good games in last few years.

mugarod

Liturgist
Ulminati said:
Are Dead Money/Honest Hearts worth the price of admission? Since I got Fagout on Steam I'm not sure it's a good idea to use Bucaneer Cove versions of the DLC on it.

If you have nothing else to play then its prolly worth it. I am gonna wait till christamss sale when they gonna have all DLC for FNV released allready so I can just get them at same time and maybe install some new mods and get another run at the game.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
One of the achivements today is "find a secret under water" in Serious Sam 2? The game where you start off in front of a pool that has a hidden chainsaw (or something) in it? lol.

mugarod

Liturgist
Rocket launcher on the bottom of that lake behind you

Also is any bros here play magica? I am thinking of picking it up but I am worried I might be lonely.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I got it on a whim. It's not very good.
The casting system is "innovative" but it ends up playing like an old school fighting game. You just spam your combos over and over. RFEEEEE then cast then do it again. I wouldn't really recommend it, it gets boring really fast.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
mugarod said:
Rocket launcher on the bottom of that lake behind you

Also is any bros here play magica? I am thinking of picking it up but I am worried I might be lonely.

You will get the most fun out of the game if you can talk a few friends into playingit with you and talk with them on skype/ventrilo/whatever as you go. The game's ok(ish) in single player, but really shines with 3 people causing havoc. I find 4 tends to be too much of a clusterfuck, but YMMV. You'll end up using a small staple of spells regularly, but there is room for experientation. My favourites are:

QERASR -> Enchant weapon. Also known as "I am the Wizard King, I can do anything!" Casting it through your weapon is mildly less hazardous to yourself. Creates a line of bombs, that shortly after explode for insane damage.

QRQRQRQRE -> Self Cast. Also known as Ice Armor. Gives you a very serious increase of hp at a small cost to movement speed. Also, you cannot be healed while armor s active.

QFAAAA -> Normal Cast. A spray of steam+lightning. Steam makes targets wet, and lightning deals additional damage to wet targets. Very good for close-up encounters.

QFQFSAA -> Normal Cast. Also known as OMGGIANTBEAMOFDEATH™. Beam spells are really good in corridors or against very big, very tough enemies. 2x steam, 2x lightning and 1x magic seems to give the biggest damage numbers.

DFFFF -> Normal (Charge) cast. FIREBALL! Good against enemies who are bunched up. Once you lern the grease magic, you can prepare some grease pits and use a fireball to ignite them from a safe distance for extra BURN.

DRRRR -> Normal (charge) cast. Frostball. Does neglible damage and slows. Has 2 really neat utility uses. 1: It freezes large patches of water for your safe passage (wizards can't swim). and 2) It Freezes (stuns) wet targets solid. Very handy once you learn the "rain" magic in chapter 2.

WF -> Self cast. Dries and thaws you if you get the wet/frozen state without setting fire to yourself.

DE -> AoE cast. Creates a ring of rock aroudn you that absorbs a modest amount of damage. A good panic spell.

One thing I have noticed though is that me and my friends all gravitate towards different sets of 4-5 spells as the stables we cast over and over. It's quite possible to divide things up so one guy mostly does damage while another tries disabling large groups of creatures and a third uses beams to snipe priority targets and heal teammates.

A lot of spells were rebalanced in the last patch along with the introduction in PVP. Beams were nerfed so theyr'e no longer end-all be-all, and shields decay way faster than they used to. I was initially butthurt that my old OMGWTFIMBA combos no longer worked like they used to, but overall it's made the game more interesting.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I feel the same about Magicka -- innovative and clever magic system but overall the game play just feels sort of 'meh.' There's a demo on Steam to try. More like a party game for a bunch of friends, wouldn't recommend it solo. Fallout New Vegas was okay. Can't see myself getting any of the DLC, even at $3, at the moment. Maybe down the road when it's all released and bundled in some DLC package. Towards the end of New Vegas I just wanted to get it done with -- didn't really leave me wanting more.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Woop. Fagout: New Vagina installed. Refuses to run. Just gives me a black screen, then a "Fagout is not responding" message. Off to spend a few hours wavign a dead chicken to see if I can make it work. Hvae tried messing with the settings, including settign everything to lowest. Sometimes, the launcher itself spontaneously crashes. I am not impressed.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
There was a new patch recently, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Multi-headed Cow

Ulminati said:
Woop. Fagout: New Vagina installed. Refuses to run. Just gives me a black screen, then a "Fagout is not responding" message. Off to spend a few hours wavign a dead chicken to see if I can make it work. Hvae tried messing with the settings, including settign everything to lowest. Sometimes, the launcher itself spontaneously crashes. I am not impressed.
Right click it in Steam, click properties, local files, verify the integrity of the game cache. It's possible a file got mangled somewhere while downloading. Steam will be kinda frozen while it's checking all the files, but worth a shot. Happens on occasion.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO WRONG COW BRO STEAM DOES THIS AT RANDOM BECAUSE THEY ARE EVIL LIKE KICKING PUPPIES EVIL

Peter

Arcane
Caved in and bought the Ass Creed and GTA IV collections. 35 Euros spent is 35 more than I was planning.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Tempted to buy Brotherhood purely for the multiplayer, which sounds like it could be amazing with a good group. Worth it? I liked AC2 SP, but won't pay money for the same until it gets a bit more challenge and a bit less automated.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom